“Loved the sunset”

Kona Reef Resort
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the sunset”
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We visited the big island for 8 days with my husband and my 2 sons. We stayed at Kona Reef unit F-13 for the whole time. The condo was very clean with all new appliances. It had 2 sofa beds and a queen bed at the bedroom so it could sleep 6 people but it was advertied for 4. It had spectacular views of the ocean, surf boarders, cruise ships. What I fell in love with was: The sunset by the pool area. Every evening by the sunset time lots of people would gather by the ocean front area (south side of the resort) and wait for sunset to take pictures. Resort's location is by walking distance to shops and resturants in Kona town. During our stay, their pool was getting resurfaced and we were bothered by construction noise early mornings for 2-3 days, but it was tolerable. We did not stay in the condo much during those days. The other thing that bothered me a little bit was the fact that the AC was located in the living room and we had to keep the bedroom door open to benefit from the AC. One night we decided to keep the windows open but the traffic noise in Alii drive was terrible. my recommendation for visitors of this resort, is to rent a ocean front condo in the south wing of the resort away from Alii drive. Ocean view or garden view condos are not as nice as the ocean front ones. Overall we did have a very good experience. Visited lots of waterfalls (Akaka Falls is the best), volcano, Hilton hotel (visiting this hotel is a must), Hapuna beach, and the hula dance (free in the nearby shopping center every Friday evening at 6 pm). If you want to stay in this resort, contact the owners directly and rent the condo from them. We did not do this and arranged our trip through orbitz and rented the condo from the castle hotels. This way we paid a little more than renting directly from the owner.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Farmington Hills
Reviewed June 20, 2006

We stayed in a 2 bdrm oceanfront unit - D8. It was wonderful, kitchen was fully equipped with every gadget you could want. The ocean was only a few feet in front of us and what fun watching surfers while you dine. Not for beach lovers as it was very rocky out front but if you are like me I love watching the waves crash on the rocks and sand in my bathing suit is not my idea of fun. Only airconditioner is in the living room but both bdrms had ceiling fans and they pulled the cool air back quickly. The baths could use some updating but they were clean and supplies were plentiful and towels replaced daily. Due to the small size of the baths they should take the hard glass doors off and put a shower cutain up as getting in/out was a little tricky, also grabs bars would make it alot easier for the handicap and elderly. I would have no qualms about a return visit to this property.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank carouseltravel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 1, 2006

For our stay in the Kona Reef, we booked through Sunquest-Hawaii. We had a good experience with them. The unit we stayed in was A-13, on the second floor.

This one-bedroom unit seemed to have been recently renovated with new kitchen appliances, newly remodelled bathroom and a washer-dryer (comes in real handy!). The highlight of this unit though was that is was on the oceanfront. Open the sliding doors to the lanai (balcony) and you're greeted with the sound of waves crashing into the shore. The sea is so close that you could easily toss a rock into the water from the lanai.

The complex itself is nice and clean. There are two undercover parking garages (on each side of the complex on Ali'i drive). The pool area is usually quiet and the grills under the cabana are a nice touch. The proximity of the Kona Reef to town is very appealing, allowing you walk (or stumble) home after a night of partaking in frost adult beverages ;o)

All in all, a great place to rest your head for not a lot of green. In May, we paid about $140.00 a night.

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank elliottaz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I stayed at Kona Reef in unit D-12 in March and loved both the location and the room. The location is perfect, we walked daily into town (about 2 minutes) and enjoyed the proximity to all of the shops and restaurants. We were also impressed with the large lanai and the beautiful view. Ocean front really means ocean front! This condo is rented out by the owner and they also maintain it better than other condos. If you want a great Kona experience, rent condo D-12 from the owner for a great bang for your buck!

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Banos, California
Reviewed March 20, 2006

I booked the Kona Reef for our first night and our last night of our two week visit to the Big Island.
I called two months in advance and requested that I did not want a room in building B. I had read another review that said it was old and did not smell clean. Upon our arrival the desk clerk gave me a room in B. I told her I called ahead and requested a different building. My fault that I didn't bring the name of who I had spoken too.The desk clerk manager was nice but told me that yes I could have requested no B building but, no promising were able to be made.I said well I should have been informed of that on the phone.The room they wanted to place me in was not only very old but smelt very stale and wasn't worth 29.99 much less then the 135.00 they wanted to charge me. After viewing the stinky room with very old furniture, bed like a cardboard box an old bedspread and flat pillows I went back to the desk and flat refused the room. I was told I could pay an additional 33.00 to upgrade to building E. I was very unhappy with having to pay more money but, it was worth it. Building E was like night and day from building B. Building B needs to be completed torn down and another one built in its place. Needless to say I cancelled the Kona Reef for our last night for March 15 and booked the Marriott for as little as 50.00 dollars more and slept in luxury. Do yourself a favor stay at the Marriott you will love it.

Stayed March 2006
14 Thank Bdbc
Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed March 5, 2006

We were very pleased with Castle Kona. The other reviews here suggested that not all the rooms were of the same standard, but ours was just great. Each unit is nicely equipped, with TVs in the lounge and bedroom, plus every kitchen appliance, and the DVD player and VCR was a nice bonus.

We stayed in B-6 which was south-west facing and on the ground floor. The patio doors looked a little flimsy, which was an obvious security concern, but there was a plastic pipe set in the door runner so that even if the lock was broken, the door would remain jammed. We didn’t take any chances - at night we left the lights and TV on. We didn’t see much more of the complex other than the pool area, which was very pleasant and a real sun trap. There’s also a covered parking garage for further piece of mind.

Virtually everything we saw in the communal areas was in nice condition, although we never had to trouble any of the staff for anything. The rooms were cleaned and tidied nicely, too. One of the best features of this complex though is its close proximity to Kailua. It’s a five minute walk along the busy road, but it’s quite safe and all but the most unfit could manage it! Although some of the shopping is quite poor in Kailua, with lots of dull souvenir shops, the selection of bars and restaurants is all you’d ever need and there’s a nice friendly atmosphere.

The volcano national park is a must, as is Hawi on the north coast. For the best shopping go to the mall in Hilo near the airport. The best food was at the busy Outback restaurant in Kailua (get there early otherwise there’s a half-hour wait). Bubba Gump does a nice breakfast too - both are within walking distance. We upgraded to a convertible which was great, but bear in mind that many other tourists do the same, so they may be an obvious target for thieves. Don’t leave anything on display!

Overall, we’d heartily recommend Castle Kona. It’s one of the cheaper resorts but well worth a look, particularly if you’re on a budget.

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank Ben W
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed March 5, 2006

If you are going to Kona and want a convenient place to stay (walking distance to town)the Kona Reef condos is the place to stay. We stayed in D-3, which I would recommend booking because it was steps away to the ocean, and it had a lanai, where we spent most of the time, reading, eating, listening to the ocean, watching the most amazing sunsets. The condo is good for 2-3 people, it has one bedroom and bathroom with a futon couch. We enjoyed walking to town to the various shops and restaurants (there is alot of traffic in town, so it was nice not to have to take the car). Try not to go into town on "cruise ship" day because there are a lot of people walking around. Definitely recommend the Kona Reef condos, we booked throught Sunquest Vacations.

6 Thank SBCATraveler