This was the first of 6 different places we stayed across the Big Island and Maui, and probably our least favorite. The biggest reason was that the bed in the unit was so uncomfortable that I woke up every morning with a back ache. We stayed in A24, and there were numerous complaints in the guest book in the condo over the past few YEARS about this bed. It sags in the middle and is just awful. Nothing has been done and it was a disappointment. If that were my book, I would hide it in shame!
The kitchen was fine and reasonably well equipped. The wi-fi and the A/C worked well. I flipped over the torn cushions on the couch so the tears didn't show anymore - it is a bit dated and worn looking, but it seemed OK. If you're looking for something fancy, this probably isn't the place for you.
The view from the lanai is spectacular. The location is great if you're trying to be close to town/shopping/restaurants.
I wondered a bit about safety in this area, since there is an abandoned building across the street, and numerous times I saw police and security guards patrolling the beach in front of the condos. I wasn't sure if I should feel reassured or alarmed by that. The surf was high when we were there and there's lots of rocks in front of the condo units - this is not a place you would typically swim, although there are swimming spots nearby.
The workers in the office were incredibly helpful and friendly - I enjoyed chatting with them and had great service and help. I just wish the unit had been kept up better. Once we had seen other condos in other places, I realized how shabby the unit was in comparison for the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kona Reef is an oceanfront condominium resort adjacent to a sandy beach park in historic Kailua-Kona and near quaint shops and restaurants. One- and two-bedroom suites offer full-kitchens, FREE WiFi, and ocean or garden views. Amenities include an oceanfront swimming pool, jet spa, and a cabana with barbecue area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Vacatia, Ctrip TA, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and Hotel.de so you can book your Kona Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Kona Reef Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Castle Kona Reef Kailua
- Kona Reef Resort Hawaii/Kailua-Kona