This is a great place to veg out, lounge by the pool, or use as a launchpad to explore the west side of the Big Island.
We exchanged our condo through Raintree Vacation Club to stay in this property. We were pleasantly surprised to discover it was right on the ocean and so close to downtown Kailua Kona. Even though I wasn't walking very comfortably during our visit, I was able to walk the 5-10 minutes to shopping and restaurants. Everything was clean except for the floor, which made my bare feet black after just a little while (perhaps a side effect of living on a volcanic island with limited fresh water supply). Our unit had A/C, which we used briefly in the evenings on 80-degree days. Despite a three-day vog alert, the air quality on the southwest part of the island was clear almost our entire stay. We were slightly disappointed that our unit's patio stared at a retaining wall instead of the ocean; since we weren't in the condo much anyway, that didn't reduce our enjoyment of the place.
RVC hosted a poolside informational meeting with continental breakfast Monday AM that featured several island activities and allowed us to make reservations for high-demand trips. Our favorites were a helicopter tour of the island (including the erupting Kilauea volcano), and a tour up Mauna Kea for stargazing under fantastically clear skies. If I'd been physically able, I would've gone snorkeling also. A terrific luau occurs just half a block down the street at the Royal Kona Resort, where you can also find a lovely open air bar hanging over the ocean.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kona Reef is an oceanfront condominium resort adjacent to a sandy beach park in historic Kailua-Kona and near quaint shops and restaurants. One- and two-bedroom suites offer full-kitchens, FREE WiFi, and ocean or garden views. Amenities include an oceanfront swimming pool, jet spa, and a cabana with barbecue area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kona Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Kona Reef Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Castle Kona Reef Kailua
- Kona Reef Resort Hawaii/Kailua-Kona