“Crap hole!!”

Kona Reef Resort
La Grange, California
“Crap hole!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed @ the KR Oct 29 thru Nov11 2012 What a Crap Hole!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I mean CRAP HOLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We stayed in unit D1 a 1st floor ocean front suite . Upon entering the unit we were over come by a disgusting foul stench. We went straight to the front room and opened the slider to let in air and half the screen door came off the track and fell in. The only reason I agreed to stay in this unit was because my husband whom I adore smokes and he liked the convenience of walking 10 feet to being off the property to smoke. Let's get started here, the ceiling in the bed room had a area 2 feet long area that was peeling down due to a obvious water leek up stairs, the carpet was so stained and filthy we had to put towels on it so we didn't touch it, I wouldn't even set our luggage on it any where! The shower had so much black grime on it the house keeping staff left a bottle of bleach in it so we could spray it down. It was so bad we never used it choosing to use the hallway shower having to put bath mat's down onto the shower floor because it was so disgusting, but the cleanest of the two. The stove needed to be replaced, the radio-stereo cassette didn't work. ( I didn't know they even existed any more ) The pool noise was right outside the windows leaving us no choice but to keep the closed all the time. Upon agreeing to remain in this rat hole I went straight to walmart and bought the biggest bottle of febreze could buy and used it constantly. The place made me want to float . There was no room safe as advertised. It was the nastiest place I have ever stayed. On the good side the lanai was clean, the coffee pot was fairly new, the air conditioner worked good and the pool was 20 feet away. There were 2 broke down folding chairs we did use. When we checked out I took the manager into the unit.....the smell didn't phase him, He looked at the ceiling the carpet in the bedroom didn't say a word. I told him we walked around on towels, then I showed him the master shower, I could not believe it he accused the house keepers of doing a bad job, You have to be kidding me the damn thing needed to be tore out, major demolition he didn't seem to care at all, when I told him we only could use the hallway shower, I showed him that one expecting him to say WOW! this place is disgusting how in god's name did you make it 11 nights in here, or I'm so sorry let me comp you something I know you paid good $$$ to stay in a ocean front suite In our fine establishment. I showed him the sliding screen nothing except the housekeepers aren't doing their jobs. Like they can rip out the showers, tear out the carpet, replace the stove or replace the rollers on the door or replace the broken stereo. On the way home my husband told me the last night we were there he found a used razor stuck to the bottom of the blanket which we had been in bed with for almost 2 weeks. He knew I'd would have come undone on the management. I can not believe I stayed in there, Oh! my honey owes me a new vacation. Without smoking being the biggest priority. So if anyone plans to stay @ the KR run far if they even offer you D1.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Roostinghawk
CRHHNL, General Manager at Kona Reef Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
I would like to apologize for the deficiencies you experienced and your unfavorable perception of our facilities. Cleanliness of rooms is one of the highest priorities for our staff; we take the utmost care in preparing each unit prior to arrival. If we had been notified of your concerns, we could have corrected them during your stay. As the General Manager, I am available for our guest to speak to at any time. Our Front Desk and all of our team members know that they can give out my contact information to any of our guest that are dissatisfied with our services or the unit they are staying in, or just someone that wants to talk. You did walk me into the unit after you had checked out and were leaving our property. Again I apologized that we were unable meet any of your expectations during your stay. Our goal is that every guest truly enjoys our hospitality and all that Hawaii has to offer.

Mahalo,

Stephen Hicks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Portsmouth nh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We read the reviews before we booked and most are pretty accurate. The location is fantastic, walking distance to town, good parking, and the pool area is very nice.

The units, our friends had another, are run down. They need a rehab, especially for the price. There was some rust around our tub and the cabinets in the kitchen were beat up. The office staff isn't terribly friendly, and they don't go out of their way to do much. Towels and linens sparse and thread-bare.

If I could rate it a 2.5 I would but will be generous with a 3, just because the location is great. I don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Lawrence B
Oceano, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights back in September of 2010. We booked the room online through Castle Resorts and enjoyed our stay very much. We had an oceanfront condo and loved hearing the waves crash all night long. It was a small unit but perfect for our needs. The kitchen had everything we needed for quick meals. We had a very large balcony on the third floor and enjoyed seeing turtles, dolphins and surfers. We could walk to town form the unit.

Our unit did have air conditioning in the living room but did not work well. The bedroom stayed very hot and we were uncomfortable most nights trying to sleep and there really was no window in the bedroom to open, just a small slit window near the ceiling. The closet had very little usable space and there were not many places to store your clothes. But we overlooked this since we were ocean front. Parking can be trouble if you are coming in late, we just tried not to use the car in the evenings and opt to walk to town.

Front desk was nice checking in but crabby checking out. They did give us a coupon for a local grocery story we used and were glad we did. We found amazing foods in this store. We would stay at this resort again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the ocean front room, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RumRunner01
Boca Raton, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Apt appeared OK. T.v. Didn't work but fixed, wifi works sometimes, no phone book. Clothing dryer does not work and I was asked by management co., why I didn't use it sooner (earlier in my trip). It can't be fixed till the day I leave. Scuba clothes and accessories were left out the screen door to dry. STOLEN. So much for ocean front. No real beach, black lava rock. A/C window unit is in living room which doesn't cool bedroom. Equipped well which hardly matters. The bad always outweighs the good. Look elsewhere but be careful.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gideyup
CRHHNL, General Manager at Kona Reef Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your stay at the Kona Reef Hotel. It is disappointing that we did not meet your expectation. I would like to apologize for the deficiencies you experienced and your unfavorable perception of our facilities. I have addressed your concerns with my team and we are working to improve our resort and our services. Should you provide us with a future opportunity to meet your expectations, please contact me directly before your arrival I will personally inspect you room.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Stephen Hicks
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Kona Reef Condo has a massive advantage in their location - just 10 minutes from the town, you won't need to drive down to the shops, restaurants and all that this great little place has to offer. But it's also convenient for driving out to the other locations on the island.

The complex is directly on the sea front with a small lawn for lounging on. Sadly there is no beach- just rocks - at this location, so swimming in the sea here isn't really practical. However just 30m along there is a small sandy beach where the brave can swim or body-board. For snorkelling, a short (15mins) drive south to an easy snorkelling location. The sea front offers a wonderful sunset view.

Our condo was nicely appointed, and was quite spacious. We were not sea front, but had a sea view, looking out and able to see the sea, sunsets and the cruise liner when in town! Wifi was included in our condo, along with all the expected facilities (dishwasher etc). The bathroom was fine, if a little tired, but overall the apartment was of a good standard and clean.
My only (minor) complaints with our experience was that on arrival and departure, the receptionist was a little robotic and didn't give a great personal welcome - I suspect we were just a little spoilt at previous locations. Not a big deal, but a smile and personality don't cost!

The pool, hot tub and BBQ area did what was expected perfectly well - no complaints on these.

Overall, a relaxing and enjoyable stay, and would come back here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stuart S
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Kona Reef is located within walking distance of the "downtown" area of Kailua-Kona. Lots of restaurants and shopping. This is a condominium complex with some people that live there and some of the units are part of the timeshare network.

The unit has a full kitchen, and in the pool area there are several gas grills. It seemed like the complex was designed so every unit would have an ocean view.

There is a small beach adjacent to the complex, but swimming/snorkeling is not recommended there due to the current. About 7 miles up the road is a public beach (kahulu) with bathrooms, tables, etc. and has excellent snorkeling. We saw schools of yellow tangs, and many others. There was even a couple of sea turtles one day!

It is worth the drive (about 2.5 hours) to the Hawaii Volcano National Park area. Hike the 400ft down to the crater floor and walk across the cooled lava bed, really awesome! Eat dinner at the "Lava Rock" cafe in the nearby town of Volcano, and then return in the evening (your $10 park entry fee is good for 10 days) to see the glow of the lava from the Jagger Museum area.

Room Tip: The units with single digit (example: A1, A2) are on the ground floor so the slider opens out to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dnolan29
Coffs Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at Kona Reef for the Hawaiian Ironman in October 2012 and we found the accom excellent. It is located within 10 mins walking distance of the Pier and shops of the village. The resort was meticulously maintained and the apartment was fabulous with everything included and in perfect working order. We had a great view over the pool and ocean and watched the sunset evry night. Great location, great apartment and even better value for money than others we checked out. We will certainly return to Kona Reef.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple