“Great Place!”
Review of Kona Makai

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Makai
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband, teenage son & I stayed here for 10 days in January 2014 and found it to be almost perfect for what we needed!! We never spent too much time around the condo area as we wanted to see and do all there was on the Big Island, but it was great having a quiet, comfortable, relaxing place to come back to each evening and waking up to each morning! Great location, close to everything, right on the water (the only thing that would make it even better would have been a sandy beach close enough to enjoy without driving), but we know that's impossible with the lava rock everywhere, so we drove where we wished and found the beaches not too far away! Very clean and beautiful gardens everywhere, easy access from parking lot, carts at lot for hauling luggage, groceries, etc.,, nice, little pool & hot tub, gym, barbecues for guests, overall a great place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Kona Makai

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The condo was okay, but certainly not the best I've experienced. Our unit was pretty dated and the mattress definitely could've used replacing. It was extremely hot and, since we were on the ground floor, we could not leave windows open to let it cool off. All in all not bad, since we spent most of our time out, but not the best place we stayed on the island.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The complex in general is great. Very well looked after and great location. We walked to dinner most nights. Some places within easy walking distance (Jackie Rey's, Island Lava Java), others a slightly longer walk to the end of the main area (Fish Hopper etc.), but a reasonable $10 cab ride. Great sunset views even if your condo is not ocean facing (a lot are), the main sitting area around the barbecues have great seats and views. While we were there (August), it was pretty quiet. The pool is nice. Our condo 302 was nice, good for a couple. There were a few things that were not as good as we would have hoped. The bed was great and comfortable, but really squeaked. Probably because it was a wooden four poster, but every time I turned over in the night, I woke up. Although it was great hearing the waves outside of your window. The things in the condo were also a little run down. Towels for the beach were more like bathroom towels and reminded me of a mix of towels others didn't want anymore. The beach chairs were old. There wasn't any bottle opener. The toilet paper was really thin, and the chairs on the patio had a couple of strange stains on them. They had kitchen paper in the kitchen but no paper towel holder, they had coolers, but they were too small to bring anything significant (minor stuff, but it's the details sometimes). Having said that, the condo was a good size and was comfortable enough with great views. I'd stay at the Kona Makai again, but probably a different condo. If you are interested in this one, I'd say go for it, but have your expectations set, I'd say it was a 7/10 place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Devon124
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and family stayed in unit 2-301 and loved it. Sitting on the lanai and drinking coffee and watching the dolphins every morning was something we looked forward to. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained also. The unit itself was very comfy and in very good condition. It was nice having the two big rooms and bathrooms and the loft with the twin bed made the place very roomy.
It is also in a great location just 1 mile to town and very close to a very good snorkel beach. We plan on coming back.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here in unit 5-104, with 4 of us sharing this one bedroom one bath. Loved to have breakfast out on the lanai looking at the ocean. Pool is great as is hot tub. This unit is clean and well kept, and very reasonable. Owner is very sensitive to your needs. Would book again!

Room Tip: 5-104 is a very reasonable unit to choose. Well kept and clean!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Lynda P
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I recently stayed here with my mom and young 18 month old son.....it was Not a good experience!! Upon arriving we realized how dated the place was....lights in bathroom and a/c in bedroom not working. Some of the cupboards were literally falling apart and deteriorating. Dishwasher is rusty inside. There is No sand beach or swimming access at the condos...you must drive to the nearest sand/swimming beach. The owner of this unit had specifically ask the ages of all staying....and told me it was child friendly...it is not! We were at the pool one day and told even tho my son had the proper swim wear (swim diaper) he was not allowed in the pool. So imagine my surprise now I have a child who can't go in the pool or in the ocean.....not enjoyable. The pool/condo rules ...which we were never given prior to arriving.....state that ere shall be no noise...playing...even a game of Marco Polo is strictly forbidden. My point being this place is not suited for families with children At All!! I spoke with another guest who had been coming there for 5 years.... the first year and stayed in the same unit we did 5-104...and said that unit was by far the most out dated and un impressive unit they had seen. If you choose to stay here I would reccommend a different one.
When I asked the owner how come she never told me the swimming rules there and that is wasn't really child friendly at all...she simply said it was a Hawaii law not allowing children in the pool due to health concerns.....BS...we stayed our first week at wacko loa village where they were more than happy to allow children in the pool.....she also said if I wanted to leave I could, wow....great service...now that she had her $ she could care less about our stay!! And to top it all off there was construction being done early every am of our week long stay.....right above us!!! Nightmare!!
Good luck if you choose to stay......

Room Tip: Don't choose unit #5-104 whatever you do!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Kai33
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at a wonderful condo here of April 2012. The only downside of this complex was , but the somewhat rude, loud knocking early in the morning. Why?....because pool noodels and beach chairs were on the patio. I totally get that it's a rule (I'm a rules girl!) but it was already on there when we got to the condo for our first night. Oh well, I didnt let it damper my good time. Beautiful grounds, very peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple