“Another great stay at the King K”

Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and always had a good experience. This trip was no exception. The staff is always great an efficient and the breakfast buffet is excellent (love the fried rice).

The rooms are nice and what you would expect for a Marriott Courtyard hotel. It has a beach at the hotel which is nice and the exception for hotels in Kona Kailua.

I usually spend one or two night here for business, not an extended vacation stay. The location has plenty of walk to amenities, and the central location makes it easy for business meetings.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for being a loyal return guest at the Courtyard King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel. We appreciate your kind review and your compliments for our outstanding services. It is our goal to make every guest feel welcomed, comfortable, and to provide our valued guest with the highest level of service. We look forward to your next stay with us. Mahalo

Write a ReviewReviews (3,074)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Courtyard King Kamehameha Hotel is in a great location - you can walk to everything in downtown Kailua-Kona very easily, and only need to drive if you're leaving town.

However, the hotel and room smelled a little damp. We've vacationed in humid areas before, but parts of this hotel (including the lobby) smelled excessively musty. It also is heavily perfumed like they are trying to cover it up. Perhaps they need to rip some carpet out and install tile.

The pool is nice and there's a very accessible beach. This isn't a resort-style hotel though, so as long as you're okay with venturing out into town and exploring the island, then this is a good home base. It's closer to many activities than staying up in Waikoloa, so we were overall happy with the spot.

We just wish we weren't hit with a wall of mildew and perfume/cleaners when we walked in the door...

Tip: avoid the $12/day parking fee and just park around the corner in the public lot - there were always open spots, it's a short walk, and you can park there overnight.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brian N
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Everything has already been said in the other reviews, and I agree w/ the positive comments, and not so much w/ the bad (ie wind tunnel noise, management issues, etc). I will focus my review on how it's like to stay there w/ a baby, since I had some problems finding information on that when I was researching.

We stayed 7 nights at the hotel w/ our 10 months old daughter. Overall everything went pretty smoothly. Hotel provided pak n play for us to use free of charge. It came w/ a removable slip cover which I assume (and I'm sure) was washed prior to giving to us along w/ a crib cover for the bottom portion of the crib. We were going to bring our own crib sheet, but ended up not having a spare so it turned out well that they provided clean linens for the crib. Condition of the crib was decent, at least it did not make me cringe or feel uncomfortable to put my baby in, knowing she'll be chewing on the sides. When we get to our room with our luggage there was a lady trying to assemble the thing for us however, she did not know how to do it properly so we redid it ourselves, which wasn't really all that hard. To our surprise, they provided Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo and lotion as well. They were also suppose to give us a bath toy as well, which we did not get. Only reason we knew about it was when the in-laws requested a crib for one night to take care of our daughter the hotel gave them a goodie bag with the shampoo, lotion, and toy in it. It was elegant baby brand, so pretty nice.

Room comes w/ a coffee maker making warming her food/milk super easy. It does have a mini fridge to store milk in; however it was warmer than I would like, but it was good enough. If you put enough items in there it will cool down enough. The mini fridge dose NOT have a freezer compartment. It was potentially a problem for me since I had an ice pack I needed to freeze and use for milk storage on my flight back home. Fortunately, after talking to front desk, I was told they have a freezer I can use. I gave them the ice pack w/ my name and room # the night before and retrieved it morning of departure with no problem. During the duration of the trip I used a travel size foldable cooler w/ tons of ice, was able to keep the milk colder than the fridge.

Bathroom was a bit cramped when trying to bath our baby, Sightly uncomfortable, but the tub does fit a portable ducky tub for bathing.

Getting our room cleaned sometimes take a little more effort just because the maids tends to come by around noon and this is when we are usually back for our baby's nap. However if you let front desk know they will take care of it for you at a later time.

Noise level, I don't remember hearing any one during our stay, so I assume no one can hear us as well? Or least I hope they did not since our baby was pretty vocal early in the AMs.

The bay right in front of the beach is really good for little kids/babies. It has absolutely no wave, calm as a pool; makes it really easy for your little one to get use to the beach if they are uncomfortable. Pool is ok for kids as well, did not find it too cold. Even though there are ppl all around the pool, no one was in it when we were there, so that was nice.

Also have to reiterate how nice the location is. Since our baby sleeps early we were not able to eat out for dinner. One of us always had to do take out and bring it back home. Being surrounded by restaurants made that pretty easy to do. Also my in-law can look after her real quick if we want to sneak out for a quick shave ice dessert.

Overall next time we are back here, will def stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lilia_KT
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Hotel is in an excellent location especially if you want to get away from the resorts. Really liked close proximity to town, shopping and all of the restaurant choices. This is where the good experience ended.

As a platinum elite member, there are a few amenities I've come to expect and this property missed them all. At check-in, they couldn't tell me for sure if I was eligible for free breakfast. Was told I was upgraded, but it is obvious that they didn't bother to read my profile as not one of my requests was taken care of.

The room had a wonderful view of the roof below and the other building. Still trying to figure out what the upgrade was. In addition, the room was very (and I mean very) wet. So wet that the bathroom hinges on door were rusted. Took two days with AC set at 65 or below to dry the room some, but even after checkout, flying to another island and checking into another Marriott, my clothes are still damp. Was also surprised that the tub was very slow to drain and bathroom light was out. How does housekeeping miss this? Housekeeping complained in hallway as if you couldn't hear her if you didn't leave when she wanted to clean. Sorry we were keeping her from what she had to do after work. The final killer for housekeeping was that the trash in the room was not taken twice even though it was overflowing.

Other than housekeeping, I found every employee very helpful and quick to address issues. However, we decided to cut our stay short moving on to a better hotel experience. Was surprised that after reviewing all issues with front desk at check out, all I got was offered was an apology.

As someone who spends 100+ nights in Marriott properties each year, I have to say that with a few exceptions, this property was one of the worst experiences.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Berryville_Duo
General_Manager03, Director of Rooms at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We appreciate your loyalty as a Platinum Elite Rewards Member.

Although you showed an appreciation for our convenient location, I am disappointed to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay and felt you were not appreciated as a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite Member. It is our goal to ensure a positive experience for every one of our guests. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using your feedback to identify opportunities for improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences that you encountered and I do hope you will give us another opportunity so we can provide you with a superior experience.

At your convenience I would appreciate the opportunity to further discuss your stay with us and to learn more details about your experience and resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction. Please contact me at ndahm@konabeachhotel.com
Mahalo,
Niklas Dahm
Director of Rooms

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel had nice rooms, not overly large but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room. Very clean. The best thing about the hotel was it's location. It was right in the heart of Kona with a beach outside the hotel, and lots of shopping within walking distance. There was also a farmers market within walking distance.

The pool was quite nice and not too crowded. There is a coin laundry in the hotel. It was clean and they dryer actually got everything dried within the allotted time.

There are tennis courts at the property, however we did not use this amenity.

We didn't go to the hotel restaurants, but opted for several within walking distance. We were very pleased with the hotel staff. They allowed us to have a little later check out time with out an additional fee.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that overlook the beach//ocean. See if you can stay in one of those rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Very nice hotel. Recently the rooms have been redone and are very nice. Hotel is centrally located in Kona so you can walk to most places of interest in Kona. Would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: For a great view of the Pacific Ocean ask for a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was our very first time visiting the Big Island, in Kona. We weren't quite sure of where to stay at first when booking our trip through Costco. Further, the 3-star rating from Costco Travel wasn't too appealing at first. But, we decided to go for it and try to stay at this place anyway. To our surprise this hotel is more than what we expected.
The front lobby is very clean and spacious. It's also very well decorated. Very welcoming.
The front desk staff is very courteous and efficient at what they do. We were pleased.
The room we stayed in, Partial Ocean View was excellent. It was clean, spacious, and everything was working well. The bathroom was clean and had a very good selection of amenities.
The fitness center was also great. Equipment was clean and tidy.
Finally, the wi-fi. It's superb! First of all, it's free or included with our stay and more importantly it works, and works efficiently. There are many hotels that I've stayed at that either offers free wi-fi but it doesn't work at all. Or, you pay hefty fee for using wi-fi when you're already paying a hefty room rate. But not this place! I love it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 6th floor. That's the top floor of the building. It seems to be very q...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank derektem
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Aloha,
We are thrilled that on your first trip to Hawaii you chose to stay at the Courtyard King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel. We are delighted that you had such a great time and enjoyed your accommodations as well the complimentary Wi-Fi and our 24 hour fitness center. We appreciate your kind comments for our staff and we hope that we can welcome you back soon. Mahalo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
21 mi away
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!