We were told this place got a facelift a few years ago and it shows. From the outside, it's a fairly nondescript pair of rectangular buildings, but once you're on property, from the very crisp landscaping to the cleanliness everywhere to the facilities (pool, sandy beach with ocean toys rental, onsite eateries, ABC store attached) it's really one of the best (if not the best) Courtyard we've ever stayed at and we're rewards members from way back. Staff were professional, courteous and friendly to a person except for a single incident when a housekeeper ignored the 'do not disturb' sign, failed to knock or announce herself and just opened the door right up . . . whoooops, a little embarrassing for her (could have been much worse) and the sole reason a 5-star rating was not given - that sort of thing is hotel procedure 101 and is too fundamental to ignore.
The only other quibble was with Honu's Restaurant getting a little too cute with their entrees at dinnertime - many of the dishes just have too much going on - 4, 5, or 6 different flavors all competing for your attention. The food was good, but a handful of very simple basics done extremely well would be a plus.
Can't beat the location - a short walk to a dozen places to eat, lots of shops, surf, SUP, snorkel lessons and rentals, and if you like people-watching, the cruise ship crowds offload right at the west end of the property and swarm the area looking for something fun to do for 4 hours or so before they're herded back onboard. It used to be only one day a week, but during our visit this time there were 3 different vessels belching out mostly blue-haired tourists.
Next time we're in Kona and not renting a house, the King Kam will be our spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel welcomes you to the Big Island of Hawaii for a memorable vacation. Located on the historical site where the famed Hawaiian King Kamehameha once lived, our beachfront hotel provides ocean views and direct access to Kailua Pier. We're also a short distance from downtown Kona, Kahaluu Beach Park, Kealakekua Bay, and Kailua Village. Following a day of Big Island sightseeing, settle into our Kona hotel rooms and suites with private lanais, 37" flat-screen TVs, and complimentary Wi-Fi. During your stay, you'll also enjoy our infinity pool, onsite gym and yoga studio, day spa, and white sand beach. Choose from 2 savory restaurants for a delicious meal, complemented with beautiful ocean views! Our hotel also features an Island Breeze Luau to show you even more of Hawaii's vibrant culture! The Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel is here to deliver your ultimate island adventure, where we offer resort amenities without the resort fees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel King Kamehamehas Kona Beach
- Hawaii King Kamehamehas Kona Beach Hotel
- Courtyard By Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel Hawaii/Kailua-Kona