During our recent trip to the Big Island we decided to stay one night in Kona before our scheduled stay in the Waikoloa resort area began. We were going right after the Labor Day weekend and after watching the rates and availability online were comfortable waiting to pick a place until we got there. Had read mostly positive reviews of the King Kam so it was one of two we drove up to and checked out.
As a Marriott Rewards member I know it's pretty hard to go wrong with any Marriott property. Almost guaranteed to get a clean and comfortable room and consistent service. I guess the thing that concerned me before arriving was the Courtyard brand as often times I've found it to be a mid to lower range property on the Marriott scale.
Bottom line is this is the nicest Courtyard I've ever stayed. It was an easy choice after having walked into the Royal Kona and seeing the location difference of the Sheraton. We wanted to be able to walk the Kona shops and restaurants the one night we were there. The King Kam location is perfect for that. Although it seems to be designed more for conference and event stays and less for resort style relaxation I can still see how it would make a great home base to explore the island.
Interior lobby and public areas are new and have a island majestic feel to it. Interesting island royalty paintings and artifacts add to the historical location. A small beach which our ocean front room looked out upon looked to make a great spot for swimming and sand play, although we did not have time to enjoy. The hotel has several shops within it including an ABC Store and a great coffee bar/cafe that opened at 5am.
Our ocean front room had a decent view of the small beach, ocean and island. However we also looked down on the unattractive roof of the bottom floor (conference room or restaurant?). My suggestion would be if the King Kam is your choice for only part of your stay to hold off on the ocean front/view and save it for somewhere else on the island. The room was newly remodeled, large and clean. Beds were a ok. Mattress seemed to sink a little low for my taste. Not sure if it was needing replaced or softer by choice.
Although the property had obviously been remodeled in recent years the exterior (especially the back side by parking lot) and the hallways to the rooms seemed to take lower priority. Not the case with the rooms and lobby, though.
As far as Kona goes...it reminded us of Santa Cruz or Capitola in California. Pretty typical beach town and great if you want some night life and easy access to touristy shops. Outside the "village" area it has everything you need with Target, Wal-Mart, Costco, Safeway and other name brand stores.
If we stay in Kona again we would not hesitate to go back to the King Kam! -Cheers
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel welcomes you to the Big Island of Hawaii for a memorable vacation. Located on the historical site where the famed Hawaiian King Kamehameha once lived, our beachfront hotel provides ocean views and direct access to Kailua Pier. We're also a short distance from downtown Kona, Kahaluu Beach Park, Kealakekua Bay, and Kailua Village. Following a day of Big Island sightseeing, settle into our Kona hotel rooms and suites with private lanais, 37" flat-screen TVs, and complimentary Wi-Fi. During your stay, you'll also enjoy our infinity pool, onsite gym and yoga studio, day spa, and white sand beach. Choose from 2 savory restaurants for a delicious meal, complemented with beautiful ocean views! Our hotel also features an Island Breeze Luau to show you even more of Hawaii's vibrant culture! The Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel is here to deliver your ultimate island adventure, where we offer resort amenities without the resort fees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel King Kamehamehas Kona Beach
- Hawaii King Kamehamehas Kona Beach Hotel
- Courtyard By Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel Hawaii/Kailua-Kona