“Nice location on Alii drive.”

Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Mountain View, California
“Nice location on Alii drive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our overall stay in this hotel was good and pleasant. The location is definitely awesome. In the night you can just go out and take a stroll down Alii drive. They gave us a free upgrade to the ocean front room and the view was really very nice. We enjoyed sitting in the balcony in the night and looking at the sea waves.

The only unacceptable thing happened there was we reached Kona early in the morning and had decided to make the full use of the day by doing early checkin and go out to some beach immediately. When we asked for early checkin first they promised us to do so it as the room was already emptied when we reached there. So we decided to wait for it instead of going out. But they did not give us the room till 3pm and the whole day was wasted.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad to hear that your overall stay with us was pleasant. I'm glad that we were able to give you a free upgrade. Although it's disappointing to hear that you encountered some issues at check-in, we do hope that the impact on your stay was minimal. And we apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused. Please visit us again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Mahalo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kihei, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The King Kamehameha Hotel is my perfered place of stay when I am in Kona, every 2 weeks. I enjoy the very friendly housepitality that I am greated with and any time I walk though the Hotel. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, with all the updates amendities.

Room Tip: All rooms have a wonderful view be it ocean, partial ocean or mountian view. The locatian near the o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for posting your review of our property on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback and I'll be sure to share it with the rest of the team. We have a great property but I think it's the staff that really makes the experience. We are glad to hear that you enjoy all the updated amenities that we offer. Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel during your travel to Kona every 2 weeks, we appreciate your loyal support. We look forward to your next stay. Mahalo
Earth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I spend up to a couple months in Hilo every year, but Kona is a gorgeous place. King Kamehameha is a hotel I've been going to with my family since I was a little kid, and I've really loved it every-time. The Kailua Pig at the pool bar is awesome, as is all the other food. The staff is very very friendly, and has real Aloha Spirit. Right outside the hotel is a cute little beach, with some awesome snorkeling (which just gets better as you go a little deeper. I love paddle boarding out of the hotel as well. The water is an amazing shade of blue, and you can often see dolphins playing. We have a zodiac in Hilo we like to bring to Kona, and its always worth going out with it and seeing the beautiful ocean. I've had a few really nice paddleboarding excursions where I took my snorkel with me and swam a bit, and a few times I had dolphins swim super close to my board, even under it (yup, I know you're not supposed to go too close to dolphins, but they came to me...). When we had the zodiac dolphins could chase it and play in our wake, super cool.

Back to the hotel, I love it. Definitely worth the stay, you can walk to tons of cool places from it and even the hotel itself is fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. And your loyal support is greatly appreciated. I'm glad that our staff was friendly and provided you with great service. It is always our pleasure to take care of our guests and offer the best we can in Island hospitality. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

The most important thing about this hotel was, that we wanted to spend 2 nights at Big Island, because our trip was limited to 2 weeks, and to cover most of Hawaii we decided to stay here for 2 days, the other hotels (most of them in Hilo) required a minimum of 3 nights stay... so we were glad we picked out this one out. It was close to the airport we planned to use and drove down to Hilo for rest of the activities planned out for the island. It was an 80+ miles drive to Hilo, but driving through Saddle road was a lovely experience!
Our room was clean and very comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful; check in and check out was done very efficiently. The food was really good in restaurants, and they even went out of way to make special dish for my husband who is vegetarian... and we appreciate that. The view of the beach and area around is lovely from the hotel, quite nice actually, and especially from the restaurants... The hotel is close to amenities around, and staff was happy in helping us out with suggestions to whatever questions we had.
We are glad we stayed at this property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Vaishali B
Aloha,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at the Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for more great Hawaiian memories. Mahalo
Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying At King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel. Although we live in Hilo, going to Kona is a nice get away. We got to the hotel and was welcomed openly by the staff assisting other people with their luggage. As we received the keys for our room , we left the front desk feeling relaxed and happy because the staff were so pleasant and accommodating. We entered our hotel room, and noticed right off how clean and how cool it was and very inviting. I looked out on the balcony and didn't like the scenery at all, so my husband went down stairs to see if there were other rooms available that had better views, he came back up with a big smile on his face and said, they gave us another room and apologized and hoped that we would be pleased with the new room. It was so nice of them to do that for us and the view was fantastic. Every employee that either helped us or just passing us in the hall was so friendly and as a native of Hawaii, we know what the "Aloha Spirit" is. And the staff at the "King Kamehameha Hotel" has it. This was my first stay there and I have stayed in several other hotels in Kona in the past. But I will be staying there again. Oh ! and they have wireless internet. Some places that I have been in you have to plug in to the wall, but I was able to use my Ipod to connect to internet apps. I also loved the shower, big and large shower head and the half moon shower curtain rod so the shower curtain not touching you. I just loved it and anyone reading this, you have to try it out. Their prices are very doable.And who wants to stay in a hotel that is five star but the staff and service have no aloha spirit! Well come stay at the King Kamehameha Hotel and get both... I did..... Mahalo , for such a wonderful stay and I will definitely see you all again .Excellent! Excellent Hotel....

1 Thank NoeB_13
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Aloha,
Mahalo for your great comments. I'm so glad that our staff took care of you and that you had a great stay with us at the Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel. I'm glad that we were able to give you an upgrade and that all your requests were granted. We love hearing from our guests and appreciate your kind words for our staff. You review will be shared with the entire staff, which I'm sure will make their day. We have a great property but I think it's the staff that really makes the experience. They really have the Aloha spirit. We too hope to see you again soon! A hui hou.
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We arrived around midnight.... checking in (and out) was quick with friendly efficient staff. We were in a partial ocean view room on the 4th floor in the west wing. The room was quite large with a view looking down onto the roof of the spa/gym, the pool and part of the beach and pier. Room was clean, as was the hotel, although furnishings are a bit dated. We had a problem with the shower head which we mentioned at the front desk the next morning and on returning later that day, it had been fixed.
Location was great.... many restaurants within walking distance..... we tried them all! 2 mins drive is a Wall-mart and Safeways, 3 mins a Target and Macy's. Costco is 10 mins drive away.
We spent a lot of time driving to other areas and found Kailua-Kona a good central location with some nice beaches and snorkeling areas a short drive away. The hotel does have a small sandy beach where you can walk into the water a way before you hit coral. Some of the best snorkeling we did was just off the beach at the hotel..... to the right of the pier there's an opening to private property, the water is a bit colder here but there were lots of fish. One day we were lucky enough to snorkel with a pod of spinner dolphins that came into the bay...... just happened to be in the right place at the right time! Kailua-Kona is not to everyones taste, some people we talked to found it a bit tacky.... it's a bit like Lahaina in Maui. If your the kind of person who likes to sit on the beach and stay at the hotel for your whole trip then this wouldn't be the hotel/area for you..... better off with a resort type complex. We like to go out and about though so this hotel was great for us.
We didn't eat any meals at the hotel but did get take-away twice at Menehune coffee shop when returning back late from a day out. 1st time we had wraps and they were very good.... 2nd time we had paninis which were not paninins but 2 slices of bread with melted cheese...'easy cheesy' $6.95...... worst melted cheese sandwich (food) we have ever had.... anywhere!
Parking is $12 a day.... only time we had trouble parking was one Saturday there was a 'beer festival' held on the hotel grounds and the car park was very full. There were also a lot of inebriated people wandering around the hotel that afternoon/evening and it was a bit noisy.... not a good impression for people checking in that day!
Improvements the hotel could make are perhaps a magnifying mirror in the bathroom, an in room micro-wave and a sign to put on the door requesting room service as a twice we returned to the hotel late afternoon (4pm) after having been out since 8 a.m and our room had not yet been serviced.

Aloha,
We appreciate you taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. I was glad to hear that our location was convenient for your shopping, dining and beach explorations.
My sincere apology for the shower head in your room. Our maintenance and housekeeping departments are currently in the middle of their preventive maintenance schedule, where they will address each room of the hotel.
Thank you for your feedback as all comments are conveyed to the entire property team. We look forward to your return to Kona. Mahalo
ILLINOIS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Was woken up twice in one by extremely load noises. The first was from a bar behind the hotel that was playing this awful thrash metal music at extremely load decibels that the design of the courtyard was magnifying. The staff was of little help. It wasn't until a couple of the guests called the police did the issue get resolved. A couple of hours later (3:00 AM) the fire alarms go off and they were even louder. We all funnel down the stairs and out fire exit in our PJs and the fire department never comes. We told by the desk clerk it was all safe to go back in it was a false alarm. No apology. No compensation. No nothing. Not so much a free breakfast for our lack of sleep. The location was good except for the noise and the place did seem to be clean and have free Wi-Fi. The restaurant was very overpriced. Eat elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BJRMBA1
Aloha,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We apologize for not meeting your expectations on this visit and for the inconvenience that you experienced with loud noises from surrounding bars and the false fire alarm. It appears that we have fallen short of our normal goals and standards. The comfort of our guest's is very important to our team, rest assured we will take corrective action to prevent future reoccurrences. We will be addressing and focusing on training our staff to improve our customer service.
Again we are very sorry that your stay with us was not you had expected. Should you find yourself returning to Kona in the future, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to change your opinion of our property. Mahalo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,769 reviews
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!