Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A very friendly and helpful staff. We stayed here three nights with a tour group. Our room was wrong at first but they quickly changed us. It did take several phone calls before we received our luggage at about 9:00 pm though. The hotel should spend a bit more time in the guest rooms and common areas with the vacuumn. Would stay here again. I had hair in the bathroom floor and tub areas.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Although we were happy to hear that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay we do regret that you encountered some issues; we do hope that the impact on your stay was minimal. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope that you will allow us to welcome you back the next time you are visiting the Big Island. Mahalo.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

An enjoyable stay! We chose this hotel after spotting it while on a Hawaiian Island cruise a few years ago. It is right on the pier at Kailua Bay. It has been partially remodeled recently - new room decor, restaurant, lobby, etc. and it is very comfortable and welcoming. Awesome bellboys and front desk staff!
Pros - on a small, sandy beach (hard to come by sand on Hawaii)
- very comfortable beds
- our 'garden view' room had a nice view from the lanai over the lower rooftops of the beach and ocean which we enjoyed very much.
- nice staff
- great central location on the island, and walking distance to everything you need as far as restaurants, shops, activity booking
- ABC store in the hotel!
Cons - the far lobby, where the artifacts and art are located smells awful - musty. Everyone who walked through commented on it.
- not enough lounges at the pool and in the beach area. Why not put some out on the lawn? We've stayed at other Hawaiian hotels where you can pull lounges out on the grass wherever you'd like to sit.
All in all, it was a great week and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa457

Aloha! I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was glad to hear that our location was convenient for your shopping and dining explorations. We appreciate your feedback and suggestions; I will be sharing them with our management staff to review and determine where improvements can be made. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Kona. Mahalo

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our tour group stayed here for 3 nights. I loved it! The location is right in the middle of everything. Lots of choices for restaurants, ABC store in the hotel as well as other stores. You are right on the beach. Pool, hottub and pool bar were great overlooking the water. Shuttles to get around the area are right by the hotel. Dinner cruise was right there at the dock. At check-in we did ask to have our room changed to be closer to our friends and the front desk refused, but when I called down to make a request to the manager, Wendy Victor, she couldn't do enough for us. They were wonderful. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Our second room overlooked the water and the main street, really nice. The East wing is best for the view. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request the East wing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's wonderful to hear that our staff provided you with great service and accommodated your requests. Many thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to your return to Kona.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We will be back. This was our first time in Hawaii, and our time at King Kam was most relaxing. We enjoyed the historical information, starting right in your lobby and within walking distance from the hotel. The beach was perfect for us, and all the hotel staff were so helpful. Shopped at abc, jewelry, ate quick breakfast at coffee shop, the hotel restaurant and bar were great. Watching the sunset from our balcony, unbelievable. The central location of King Kam is wonderful for excursions etc. Now just need to practice saying Kamehameha for our next visit!

Room Tip: Better ocean view on higher floors.

Aloha,
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff provided you with excellent service. We are so glad that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and sandy beach area. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

great service here. Manager allowed a half day late check out for 90 bucks that meant i could go surfing as a birthday treat. concierge was professional and helpful. hotel was good value and spa looked good (30 min sessions for 60 bucks as starting price).

order breakfast from menu as buffet a little tired.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Genemage
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Mahalo (thank you) for your comments. I'm so glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our staff provided you with great service. I'm glad that we were able to accommodate your late check-out request. We look forward to having you with us again in the future. Aloha

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in March 2013 on our vacation. My husband really wanted to stay here because he is a triathlete and he wanted to stay where the athletes stay and swim where the athletes swim during the Ironman World Championships every fall. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews about staying here, thinking I would rather be at a more remote resort in the northwest part of the island. But I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed our stay. We rented a car at the airport and drove 15 minutes to the hotel. Check in was very easy, the lobby was very busy (this hotel has a lot of Asian tourists) but a staff member saw that we were waiting and jumped in to help us. He gave us a map of the hotel and pointed out different things we would want to know. We knew parking was going to be $12 a day, the parking lot was very convenient and the guy in the parking lot hut was always so friendly. Our room was on the top (sixth) floor, as I requested. Like others have said, the remodeling of the hotel is very nice but they couldn't do much about the miniscule size of the bathroom. Only one person can really stand comfortably in this bathroom. You have to stand to the side of the toilet and close the door in order to get in the shower. We got over that though, especially since this hotel is so reasonably priced for the area. I thought they didn't have a hair dryer, but realized on the last day it's in a bag in the top shelf of the closet. Kailua-Kona is so casual though, I just let my hair air dry. The safe in the closet was nice for locking up our valuables. The one thing I had an issue with was the view. We paid extra for the "partial ocean view" room and boy was it partial. Our room was above and slightly to the left of the front door/parking circle canopy. If you looked straight out of our room you saw the mountain and other hotels. If you stood on the balcony and looked right you could see the ocean a little bit, along Ali'i drive. Not exactly what I had in mind when I pictured ocean view. I though the street noise would bother me but it didn't. My advice, don't waste your money upgrading. If our room was partial ocean view I'm not sure which rooms in this hotel were considered non-ocean view. So we missed out on the whole "sit on the lanai and enjoy the sunset" that I thought we would be having. Oh well. I didn't bother asking the front desk to move us because my husband was happy with the room and didn't want to move.

The beach at the hotel is also miniscule. Don't go here for the beach, unless you have really small children and just want the convenience. It's very crowded, so it's good for people watching. Lot's of people canoe out of this beach. Drive to the beaches north of the city, like Kua Bay or the Mauna Kea Beach. The pool was nice but always crowded. Hot tub was broken the first night, but we jumped in it the morning before we left after it was fixed. It only seats 6 people, so in the morning it was empty. The best part of this hotel is it's location. You can walk to any restaurant on Ali'i drive, we loved Huggo's on the Rocks. There are lot's of shops also, Safeway and Walmart are a 2 minute drive away. One day we drove north to Hawi and stopped at beaches, took photos along the way. Had sushi at Sushi Rock and then drove back. Another day we drove south, stopped at City of Refuge, then hit up Volcanos National Park, then drove to Hilo, had an early dinner and drove home up over the mountain and stopped at the Mauna Kea Summitt (this was a lot of driving, but a great day). This hotel is also very close to the small boat harbor if you are going to take a boat tour.

Room Tip: don't pay for a partial oceanview room, ask for a room on the top floor
2  Thank mrsrobson88

Aloha,
We were delighted to read about your 4 night stay at our hotel on Trip Advisor. We love hearing from our guests and appreciate your kind words for our staff. And glad to hear that our location was convenient for your shopping and beach explorations. We do however sincerely regret that your accommodations were not as you had hoped in terms of the view.
Should you find yourself returning to Kona in the future, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Remodel is fantastic ( except)
Sandy beach out front , paddle board. Kayak, umbrella rentals at beach , very, very safe, calm beach to learn how snorkel, swim, and use those paddlboards . Walk thru the village,
We live here and StayCation a lot and have overlooked this property for years ( used to be very run down - not now) reccomendation is high on the list - except - the showers, what were they thinking ? I am 5.11 and the shower head is at my chin, seriously ! This needs to be remedied right away. Long day swimming, paddleboaeding, salt water , and all a needed was a long, hot , shower. Not Here! We are in room 356 , so don't know if the others are the same , but my guess is - they are!

• Stayed: March 2013

Mahalo for providing us with insight into your recent stay. We were very glad to hear that you enjoyed your StayCation with us, and was able to take advantage of our convenient location and sandy beach area.
We apololgize for the inconvenience that you experienced with the level of the shower head. Thank you for alerting us to your observation; I will be sharing this concern with my maintenance department for immediate attention.
Thank you once again for your review, and I hope that we can welcome your back very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Royal Kona Resort
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!