Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Royal Kona Resort(Kailua-Kona)
  • Beachfront
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort(Kailua-Kona)
Kona Tiki Hotel(Kailua-Kona)
Sea Village Resort(Kailua-Kona)
  • Restaurant
3,204 results
All reviewsabc storewest towersmall beachthe big islandhawaiian historywithin walking distancepartial ocean viewisland breezecoffee shoppaddle boardsshops and restaurantspool barhotel is in a great locationloved this hotelbreakfast buffetocean frontali'i drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in March 2013 on our vacation. My husband really wanted to stay here because he is a triathlete and he wanted to stay where the athletes stay and swim where the athletes swim during the Ironman World Championships every fall. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews about staying here, thinking I would rather be at a more remote resort in the northwest part of the island. But I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed our stay. We rented a car at the airport and drove 15 minutes to the hotel. Check in was very easy, the lobby was very busy (this hotel has a lot of Asian tourists) but a staff member saw that we were waiting and jumped in to help us. He gave us a map of the hotel and pointed out different things we would want to know. We knew parking was going to be $12 a day, the parking lot was very convenient and the guy in the parking lot hut was always so friendly. Our room was on the top (sixth) floor, as I requested. Like others have said, the remodeling of the hotel is very nice but they couldn't do much about the miniscule size of the bathroom. Only one person can really stand comfortably in this bathroom. You have to stand to the side of the toilet and close the door in order to get in the shower. We got over that though, especially since this hotel is so reasonably priced for the area. I thought they didn't have a hair dryer, but realized on the last day it's in a bag in the top shelf of the closet. Kailua-Kona is so casual though, I just let my hair air dry. The safe in the closet was nice for locking up our valuables. The one thing I had an issue with was the view. We paid extra for the "partial ocean view" room and boy was it partial. Our room was above and slightly to the left of the front door/parking circle canopy. If you looked straight out of our room you saw the mountain and other hotels. If you stood on the balcony and looked right you could see the ocean a little bit, along Ali'i drive. Not exactly what I had in mind when I pictured ocean view. I though the street noise would bother me but it didn't. My advice, don't waste your money upgrading. If our room was partial ocean view I'm not sure which rooms in this hotel were considered non-ocean view. So we missed out on the whole "sit on the lanai and enjoy the sunset" that I thought we would be having. Oh well. I didn't bother asking the front desk to move us because my husband was happy with the room and didn't want to move.

The beach at the hotel is also miniscule. Don't go here for the beach, unless you have really small children and just want the convenience. It's very crowded, so it's good for people watching. Lot's of people canoe out of this beach. Drive to the beaches north of the city, like Kua Bay or the Mauna Kea Beach. The pool was nice but always crowded. Hot tub was broken the first night, but we jumped in it the morning before we left after it was fixed. It only seats 6 people, so in the morning it was empty. The best part of this hotel is it's location. You can walk to any restaurant on Ali'i drive, we loved Huggo's on the Rocks. There are lot's of shops also, Safeway and Walmart are a 2 minute drive away. One day we drove north to Hawi and stopped at beaches, took photos along the way. Had sushi at Sushi Rock and then drove back. Another day we drove south, stopped at City of Refuge, then hit up Volcanos National Park, then drove to Hilo, had an early dinner and drove home up over the mountain and stopped at the Mauna Kea Summitt (this was a lot of driving, but a great day). This hotel is also very close to the small boat harbor if you are going to take a boat tour.

Room Tip: don't pay for a partial oceanview room, ask for a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrsrobson88
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Aloha,
We were delighted to read about your 4 night stay at our hotel on Trip Advisor. We love hearing from our guests and appreciate your kind words for our staff. And glad to hear that our location was convenient for your shopping and beach explorations. We do however sincerely regret that your accommodations were not as you had hoped in terms of the view.
Should you find yourself returning to Kona in the future, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Remodel is fantastic ( except)
Sandy beach out front , paddle board. Kayak, umbrella rentals at beach , very, very safe, calm beach to learn how snorkel, swim, and use those paddlboards . Walk thru the village,
We live here and StayCation a lot and have overlooked this property for years ( used to be very run down - not now) reccomendation is high on the list - except - the showers, what were they thinking ? I am 5.11 and the shower head is at my chin, seriously ! This needs to be remedied right away. Long day swimming, paddleboaeding, salt water , and all a needed was a long, hot , shower. Not Here! We are in room 356 , so don't know if the others are the same , but my guess is - they are!

• Stayed: March 2013

Mahalo for providing us with insight into your recent stay. We were very glad to hear that you enjoyed your StayCation with us, and was able to take advantage of our convenient location and sandy beach area.
We apololgize for the inconvenience that you experienced with the level of the shower head. Thank you for alerting us to your observation; I will be sharing this concern with my maintenance department for immediate attention.
Thank you once again for your review, and I hope that we can welcome your back very soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just returned home from a VERY pleasant stay at the "new" King Kam. Very happy with our short stay. From the super nice front desk staff, to the super clean and well appointed rooms, and the amazing Herb Kane art in the lobby... we just loved it. This hotel could not be more conveniently located for a Kailua Kona stay. Highly recommended.
OH - forgot to mention the super comfy BEDS - awesome. Best night's sleep I've had in months!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and I'll be sure to share it with the rest of the team. Please visit us again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Mahalo

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here just for one night on my way to Hilo, as I flew in late and didnt care to make the drive across the island after a long day of travel. I booked an OK rate through a travel website (40% cheaper than the marriott sites), and paid for the parking (follow the advice of other reviewers for the free lot), as I was beat.

The place is what you expect from a mid level marriott property: clean, tastefully decorated rooms, with mid-high level furnishings. I spent my morning at the pool, which was really a bit small for the size of the hotel, so you want to get there early to snag some real estate for yourself. Depending upon the rate I could get, I wouldn't mind staying here for a week. Great location, nice place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Edward S
General_Manager03, Executive Assistant at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Aloha,
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry to hear that our pool size did not meet your expectations and for the limited amount of pool lounge chairs. We are in the process of adding more pool chairs to better serve our valued guest. I hop you would choose to stay with us again should you find yourself in Kona again. Mahalo

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at the King Kamehameha hotel, staff was very nice and rooms were cleaned early, breakfast buffet was good and assortment of dishes, hotel was clean beds were comfortable, located right on Alii drive, it's walking distance to just about everything. My only complaint was that the pool was always packed, people would place their towels on the lounge chairs to reserve their spot and leave to come back later,not the hotels fault.

Room Tip: choose ocean front rooms for a beautiful way to wake up in the morning!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
General_Manager03, Executive Assistant at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Aloha! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Mahalo