My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in March 2013 on our vacation. My husband really wanted to stay here because he is a triathlete and he wanted to stay where the athletes stay and swim where the athletes swim during the Ironman World Championships every fall. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews about staying here, thinking I would rather be at a more remote resort in the northwest part of the island. But I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed our stay. We rented a car at the airport and drove 15 minutes to the hotel. Check in was very easy, the lobby was very busy (this hotel has a lot of Asian tourists) but a staff member saw that we were waiting and jumped in to help us. He gave us a map of the hotel and pointed out different things we would want to know. We knew parking was going to be $12 a day, the parking lot was very convenient and the guy in the parking lot hut was always so friendly. Our room was on the top (sixth) floor, as I requested. Like others have said, the remodeling of the hotel is very nice but they couldn't do much about the miniscule size of the bathroom. Only one person can really stand comfortably in this bathroom. You have to stand to the side of the toilet and close the door in order to get in the shower. We got over that though, especially since this hotel is so reasonably priced for the area. I thought they didn't have a hair dryer, but realized on the last day it's in a bag in the top shelf of the closet. Kailua-Kona is so casual though, I just let my hair air dry. The safe in the closet was nice for locking up our valuables. The one thing I had an issue with was the view. We paid extra for the "partial ocean view" room and boy was it partial. Our room was above and slightly to the left of the front door/parking circle canopy. If you looked straight out of our room you saw the mountain and other hotels. If you stood on the balcony and looked right you could see the ocean a little bit, along Ali'i drive. Not exactly what I had in mind when I pictured ocean view. I though the street noise would bother me but it didn't. My advice, don't waste your money upgrading. If our room was partial ocean view I'm not sure which rooms in this hotel were considered non-ocean view. So we missed out on the whole "sit on the lanai and enjoy the sunset" that I thought we would be having. Oh well. I didn't bother asking the front desk to move us because my husband was happy with the room and didn't want to move.
The beach at the hotel is also miniscule. Don't go here for the beach, unless you have really small children and just want the convenience. It's very crowded, so it's good for people watching. Lot's of people canoe out of this beach. Drive to the beaches north of the city, like Kua Bay or the Mauna Kea Beach. The pool was nice but always crowded. Hot tub was broken the first night, but we jumped in it the morning before we left after it was fixed. It only seats 6 people, so in the morning it was empty. The best part of this hotel is it's location. You can walk to any restaurant on Ali'i drive, we loved Huggo's on the Rocks. There are lot's of shops also, Safeway and Walmart are a 2 minute drive away. One day we drove north to Hawi and stopped at beaches, took photos along the way. Had sushi at Sushi Rock and then drove back. Another day we drove south, stopped at City of Refuge, then hit up Volcanos National Park, then drove to Hilo, had an early dinner and drove home up over the mountain and stopped at the Mauna Kea Summitt (this was a lot of driving, but a great day). This hotel is also very close to the small boat harbor if you are going to take a boat tour.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel! Our Kona, Hawaii hotel's lobby and restaurants were newly renovated in 2011 and all of our 452 rooms have been upgraded to feature complimentary high speed Internet access, private balconies, mini refrigerators, coffee makers with complimentary Kona Coffee, 37' color flat screen TVs, and complimentary in-room safes. You will experience a brand new kind of hotel when you stay with us and delight in our accommodations from the moment you step into our new lobby. You will also find completely renovated corridors, a refreshed business center, and newly designed meeting rooms, outdoor swimming pool, whirlpool, and fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel King Kamehamehas Kona Beach
- Hawaii King Kamehamehas Kona Beach Hotel
- Courtyard By Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel Hawaii/Kailua-Kona