“Perfect hotel for prefect honeymoon”

Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Ithaca, New York
“Perfect hotel for prefect honeymoon”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

After a long flight from NY to HI we were happy to find out that our hotel had most amazing mattress we have ever slept on. I actually wrote down the name and collection it was from before we flew back home. Simmons Beautyrest Classic - Gentle Nights II just incase someone was wondering.
Staff was OK at the front desk. We had a key issue so I went down to get it fixed. Took them a while because they were short staffed but overall they were fine.
Rooms were really clean and sleep was most comfortable.
I called ahead to tell them that we are on our honeymoon in hopes that they will give us a room with a decent view. Instead it was pointing towards some tennis court that has seen better days. Some people care about that stuff when doing a review but we didnt because we were there to enjoy our selves.
Location couldn't be better and everything was within 5-10 minute walking distance.Hotel has a ABC store around the corner (in the hotel building) where you can buy anything you need from foods drinks and accessories for cheap.
Hotels rental shop was great. FREE snorkeling gear for guests and $10/hr for kayaks which was awesome.
Restaurants around the hotel were very reasonably priced
Breakfast - $7-15 (a lot of food)
Dinner - $12-20 ( $20 if you order fish which you totally should)
Drinks - $4-8 (bartenders are very generous)
Hotels tiki bar was full of great tourists and very nice bartenders who are full of stories and tips. By day 3 they knew us by our names :)
Over all I would give this hotel 4.5 out of 5 start because I am not the type of critic who cares much about where his window pointing to or whether key cards worked or now and I waited few minutes to many at the service desk. If you want a real review which talks about Food Drinks Sleep comfort Location Amenities then little things like what I mentioned will not bother you.
We are planning out trip again next year and definitely will be staying in that great location .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EmilGevor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SF Bay Area, California
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My stay would have been fine if it wasn't for the noise.

At 8 am, I was awaken by drilling, hammering. At 10am I called to see how long it will be as I needed to get more sleep, do a bunch of stuff and fly out that day.
They only knew about construction on 2nd floor, related to tsunami. The assured me there was nothing near me. They did offer to move me, but I just needed an hour or two more sleep and had to check out.

A couple hours later by the pool, I saw, and documented TWO work crews, one floor down, but one room to my right and left! I was in a noise sandwich! I took a picture, and walked over to tell them...and ask for a 1pm late check out which they normally charge $25 for. They only waived it when I told them specifics and said I had pictures of it.

When checking out, I kept telling them how bad it was. I thought they would offer to waive my parking or something , but they just kept apologizing. I am hoping they really went to the manager w/my suggestion to not fix rooms at 8am! Geeze let people sleep till 10 am at least! I understand tsunami damage work is a lot (on lobby floor and probably 2nd fl) and has to be ongoing, but changing out the sliding doors, which is not all day, shoudl be scheduled later. How can you expect people to pay to sleep in a construction zone during their vacation!

Room Tip: Make sure there are no room improvement projects (i.e changing sliding doors w/drilling and hammerin...
Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank hwig
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Pros - This Hotel is in a Good location, and is close to the main attractions, restaurants in town and is walking distance to main chain stores wallmart etc. Room was finished to a good standard with a good comfortable bed and bathroom. The room (5th floor) had a balcony and gave a sneak look at the sea. Fridge had a night switch which was handy as was slightly noisy.
This hotel is one of the few in town to have a sandy beach and has watersports gear for hire at a discount rate for hotel residents. (the Kono boys, very friendly) kayaks, snorkel gear, stand up boards etc, it also has a safe area away from the open sea to practice before you go out to the main bay.
Have to mention the restaurant staff are friendly.
Cons - The Hotel was under renarvation, it had been affected by the Tsunami and half the ground floor was closed. The main restaurant and gift shops, probably other things as well but hard to judge as alot of the area was boarded up. Work started at 7.30am so not much of a lye in! we asked for any discount voucher because of the inconvenience and were bluntly told the hotel is as is!
a Tip.. Dont make the mistake we did if you are hiring a car from Alamo, hire it on the first day from the airport and not the third day, there is no cheap way to get back to the airport apart from a expensive taxi ride, they dont have a local pick up and the hotel is not interested in sorting anything out for you, shuttles etc. having said that Alamo once there provide good service, ask for Bernie! you wont go wrong.
Conclusion: Once Hotel is fully renovated it would be worth a punt.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank steve_ang_11
Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The hotel is within walking distance to a ton of restaurants and nightlife in the city of Kona. The beach outside the hotel is definitely not worth spending any time at especially since there are so many stunning beaches in the area. The lobby was still undergoing some renovations after the tsunami, but it looked fine for the most part. The room looked like it had been updated recently. The beds were comfy. My one complaint concerning the service was that they wouldn't let us unload our bags in the front of the hotel. We had to pull around to the back and park, which was annoying since we had a lot of stuff - and there were no luggage carts for some reason.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hiya891234
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I made a booking mistake and booked for the wrong night. Upon our arrival the front desk person informed me that I had been charged as a no show. After speaking with the manager, Sheri, she graciously fixed our situation and we stayed at the hotel. She went above and beyond, as it was my mistake, not the hotel's. Rooms were clean, small but nice beach, and right in town.

This hotel did right by us. Good service is always greatly appreciated and rewarded with return stays and recommendations. Thank you, King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Modaa64
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We were booked at the Marriott Resort north of the airport and when we got there they would not take our Marriott bucks. We looked around and saw how steril it was and decided to bolt. We are not the type to be couped up in a resort and have no access to the fun so we headed to kona and got a few nights at the King kamehameha. It's an older hotel that has been through some renovations. It was clean and we were fine with our room which included a patio and a fridge. The service at the pool was bad (slow), even going up to the bar, but otherwise staff was friendly. Their Luau is probably one of the best. I've never been to an official Luau and we planed on it being corny. We figured we would drink and eat $60 (the cost)) apiece to make it better but it turned out to be fun and informational. You should be angry at yourself if you go to Hawaii and do not see a Luau. This one is nice because it brings people from all over and is not just a resort event. All in all a good location, you can walk the town, clean, pool (there is a small cove beach) and some fun artwork. Good value for Kona.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony S
Cupertino, CA
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here in August 2011 on a airfare/hotel deal from Expedia. If you want to stay in Kona, this is a very good choice. The rooms were recently renovated, and were very nice. Had partial ocean view on the inside of the far tower and it was nice. Unfortunately, the tsunami in March had wiped out the downstairs lobby and renovations were still going on, but the inconvenience was minor. There are lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance, and the snorkling from the hotel's little beach was surprisingly good. Also, you can order food from the restaurant and eat on the lanai by the pool, overlooking the beach and harbor. Very nice!

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room, as there is a fair amount of variation in views. For partial ocean view...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mackieman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!