“A true Aloha experience”
Review of Honu Kai B&B

Honu Kai B&B
Ranked #1 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had a 5 days in Kona and wanted to get a genuine experience while we were there. We were not disappointed. Staying at at Honu Kai B&B, we were treated like family. The breakfasts were wonderfully yummy, the advice on daily activities and assistance in getting ready was much needed and appreciated. The B&B is located a short 10min drive away from the town so you will need a car but given the location, you also have the perfect weather - never too hot and never too cold - we never needed heating or cooling in our rooms and always felt perfectly comfortable. The surrounds of the B&B, with birds and trees makes you feel very relaxed and one with nature. The nearby roosters will no doubt wake you up but I found I got use to them by the 3rd morning anyway and they made for a good alarm clock to get ready for the day ahead of us. There are a couple of bedrooms above the meal area, I would suggest if you want a quieter more secluded room, you choose the Nigori Suite or Male Hale Bungalow. The overall experience was excellent though and I would go back again and again if I could.

Room Tip: There are a couple of bedrooms above the meal area, I would suggest if you want a quieter more seclu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlohaLeah

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place is paradise!
I arrived off the plane and was tired from my long flight. That all changed when I arrived. Dave and Wendy introduced themselves and they were the friendliest and most helpful people I have dealt with in all my time staying at hotels/ bed and breakfasts/ resorts.
They showed me to my room, the "Mala Hale" bungalow which was beyond what I had expected. The room was clean, there was a full kitchen and plenty of room.
The B&B itself is beautiful, there's a large open space decking area, an outdoor dining area with a large BBQ as well as a rooftop patio and a hot tub. All of which is nestled away in what feels like a tropic rainforest.
Overall I would recommend this B&B to any and all of my friends and family who travel and I look forward to coming back here, I consider it my new home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank MMirgy
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Honu Kai B&B is better than a five star resort! Wendy and Dave share to much of themselves with their patrons. Their Aloha Spirit is genuine. This was our second trip to the Big Island, and our third B&B experience there . . . we will never stay anywhere else in the Kona area again. The rooms are beautifully decorated in the Asian Island style and have the airy openness of the old Hawaiian style house, still maintaining a sense of privacy. There are wonderful common areas throughout the property to get lost in and spend private moments or a glass of wine in the evening with Wendy and Dave or the other guests. The best breakfasts ever and breakfasts-to- go if you are getting an early start! We enjoyed the personal recommendations of activities they themselves have experienced and enjoyed. All in all one of the most special places we have ever had the privileges to stay in Hawaii.

Room Tip: Our two daughters loved having their own digs in the Bungalow while we stayed on the first floor in...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank karenwinslow1
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I were hoping to finish a mad honeymoon race around the Big Island with some carefree days on the Kona side. This is the place for that.

The rooms are great and well-appointed and the breakfasts are delicious and ornate. That may be a given at this price.

It's really the hospitality that makes this an unforgettable stay. The service that owners Wendi and Dave provide feels familiar - like staying with your favorite relatives - but also perceptive and practiced in such a way that you might have to travel to a traditional ryokan in Kyoto, Japan for comparable attention.

Ask for anything here and you'll get more than you expected. They have great beach equipment to share with you and detailed information about anything that happens anywhere on the island. Honu Kai is probably the best jumping off point if you've just arrived on the island. In our case it was also the perfect goodbye to Hawaii.

If we had had more Mainland time to spare I might have rescheduled our flight home just to stay two more nights.

Thanks again.

Room Tip: The Lani room was comfortable and private. I'm also confident that every room is.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We've stayed at several B&Bs, but never one that made us feel as welcome and cared for as this one. Wendi and Dave went well above and beyond our expectations by anticipating our needs and desires and doing everything in their power to make our visit to Kona a memorable experience. They asked what plans we already had, and made suggestions for other activities we might enjoy. When we decided what else we wanted to do, they made reservations and provided printed directions with helpful hints. When we were ready to go somewhere, we found they had already prepared coolers, beach bags, towels, snacks, drinks, snorkel equipment... whatever we needed for the day. The two-course breakfasts were delicious and artfully presented. This B&B was the last of the three places we visited in Hawaii, and I'm glad it was because the others would have been such a letdown after the wonderful 5-day stay we had at Honu Kai. Thank your Wendi and Dave!

Room Tip: We loved the Nigori Suite. It was quiet, spacious and tastefully decorated, and the king bed and pi...
1  Thank Mirored_deroriM
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Honu Kai for two nights upon first arriving on Hawaii. It was hard to believe that ALL previous reviews had been 5 star, but after staying there I understand why. Wendi and Dave have a beautiful home and really should conduct seminars for people wanting to host B&Bs, because they are so good at it. We mentioned we wanted to go to a beach and magically a cooler, beach towels, beach bags, and a pass to a private beach materialized within minutes. Their breakfasts were outstanding, and the breakfast entertainment - the menagerie of animals attracted by their grounds and food, and their ever-watchful cats - were wonderful. Dave figured out the controls of our rental car (we could not) within about 30 seconds. Both Wendi and Dave offered terrific advice. I would happily stay at the Honu Kai again for a longer visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelor5509
Reviewed May 24, 2013

A 'Big Island' thank you for making our stay so memorable. Wendi and Dave are both amazing hosts which makes it hard to leave, they have thought of everything. We cannot recommend staying here enough, as the personal service is better than any 5 star hotel. You must stay here - you will not regret it.

1  Thank Rita-Derek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
3 mi away
7 mi away
Big Island Retreat
Big Island Retreat
#3 of 13 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Honu Kai B&B? Share your experiences!