The innkeepers, Wendi and Dave, are the reason this B&B gets such a high rating. For once, the cliche "nothing is too much trouble" applies. In addition to cooking a very delicious and different hot breakfast everyday, they give you information on various sights and restaurants that they've put together themselves, to give you a local perspective on wherever you're going. Dave gave us a small cooler, complete with ice pack before we set off one day, so that we'd have somewhere to put sandwiches (because we mentioned we might stop by the Coffee Shack.) If you need towels, snorkle gear, whatever -- just ask.
And they go beyond even that. We were having trouble finding a car to rent -- the island runs out of rental cars during the busy Christmas/New Year periods. I e-mailed all of the places we booked, asking if they knew anyone who was willing to rent us a car. Everyone was sympathetic, but only Wendi offered to rent us their own car, at a good rate. She said they would use their neighbor's car while we used theirs! We were eventually able to find a rental car, but how great a gesture was that? (Wendi - mahalo nui loa!)
Our room (Mahina) was the smallest, but it felt roomy. It was pleasant and nicely decorated. What I really liked, though, was the garden, filled with exotic trees, some of them unique. And the bullfinches and geckos around and on the lanai were fun to watch. (I wasn't enamored of the distant roosters that started crowing very, very early every morning, but ... what can you do, some far-away neighbor apparently keeps chickens.)
Downtown Kona is about 4 miles away, straight down the road, an easy drive. We liked Lava Java for dinner. Walk along the seafront on Ali'i Drive. Reminds me of how Waikiki used to feel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tropical paradise with Aloha and Concierge Class Service ... Beyond Compare! Honu Kai, set on a lush tropical 1.3 acre estate, offers a serene, Zen like feel amidst an old growth garden environment ... so relax, rejuvenate your senses and feel at one with nature — whether it’s lounging on the expansive lanai deck, listening to the water flowing into the koi pond, enjoying the garden jacuzzi under the Kona stars, or letting the occasional rain falling on the roof lull you to sleep. Honu Kai is extremely conscious of our environment and is 100% solar powered. We have been recognized as a Platinum Level Green Leader by TripAdvisor, their highest level of recognition. We use biodegradable toiletries, water efficient fixtures, Energy Star appliances, recycle waste, encourage towel and linen reuse, and serve locally sourced or on-site grown organic produce. Concierge services and trip planning by hosts with many years of experience in executive hospitality and travel services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Honu Kai B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honu Kai Bed And Breakfast
- Honu Kai Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Honu Kai B&B Hawaii/Kailua-Kona