“Awesome!!”
Review of Sunlight on Water

Sunlight on Water
“Awesome!!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went on the nighttime manta snorkel trip. We left at 4:45 PM and returned at 8 PM. The boat ride down the coast of Kona alone was worth the price of the trip. It was amazing swimming with mantas! Dusty and the captain were very personable and made sure everyone was safe and comfortable. Dusty took pictures above and underwater to document the experience and they post the pictures on Facebook so you don't have to bring an underwater camera. They know just were to go and set up the lights so the mantas come right underneath you. (Mantas eat plankton, which are attracted to the light). I believe Sunlight on Water is the best tour option because we were the first boat to the area and swimmers from other boats tried to come in our area because Dusty's lights attracted the most mantas. Overall an awesome experience and we can't wait to do their dolphin tour the next time we come to Kona.
Lindsay & Jonathan

Saratoga, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good, but less eco-friendly than some of the other operators”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is in regards to their Manta Ray night dive. On the plus side, they do spend more time out in the water than some of the other Manta ray dive places. However, my one gripe (and it's a big one if you're eco-minded) is that the structure they use is so close to the boat that rays sometimes hit the boat -- not so good for the rays.
There are some more ecologically minded companies out there, and I'd recommend one of those alternatives. The experience is definitely something to do, no matter who you go with.

Visited November 2012
7 Thank Ken A
Whitehorse, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“I swam so close to dolphins I could have touched them! (but I did not of course!)”
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Right from the start this outfit treated my friends and I respectfully and professionally. They were careful to size us right for our snorkel gear and explained what the were doing and why each step of the way.
The crew was friendly, knowledgeable, attentive to others with special needs and always smiling.
Heading out of the harbour, we stopped to ask permission for our swim. It wasn't full Hawaiian because the owner wasn't the captain of our ship that day - but our captain was congnisant and respectful.
This set a good tone for our trip and we were immediately blessed with a visit from the dolphins barely out of harbour waters!
Once out there I didn't see the time go by. The crew optimized every opportunity for us to come close to the dolphins.
It was amazing and I lost track of time swimming and watching. Though I drfted a bit away as I followed the dolphins, the Sunlight On Water people kept a close eye on me.
It was worth every penny and I highly recommend this very competent outfit both for dolphins and for manta ray dives at night.
Can't wait to see the photographs the on board photographer took too!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Take any other boat”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I came here with very high hopes after reading such great reviews. I could not wait to get in the water and experience swimming with the dolphins. Unfortunately, this was a huge disappointment. The person on the phone was rude, the captain was rude and the guy helping was rude. The water was warm and the snacks served were a nice touch but otherwise I really wish they could learn a bit about customer service. Do yourself a favor and try a different boat and hopefully you will have a better experience.

11 Thank Travelingsmiles6
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good activity pick a different company”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Overall, everyone in our family loved swimming with the dolphins....but I would chose a different company to go out with. What is promised online is different that what you really get. This company seemed unorganized and not very experienced. We were told that there would be crew guides in the water with us but when we got in the ocean our guides were no where to be found. Leaving a group of us by ourselves not really sure where to go. The captain spent most of his time on his cell phone, yelling at guests or talking bad about other boat operators (really?! not exactly what you want to hear while on vacation). Make sure to bring sunscreen, hat, towel, warm jacket for kids, and your own underwater camera. They did provide snorkel gear and self serve snacks/drinks.

Visited November 2012