Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great experience

Captain and dive masters do a above and beyond to make the experience fun, safe and hassle free. We... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 2 days ago
SherrieBerrie77
McGregor, Canada
Amazing Crews

We went on a few charters with BID and had a great time. We did the Manta snorkel, dolphin snorkel... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
abarry54

Recommended experiences in and around Kailua-Kona
from $112.91
from $133.22
from $64.30
from $69.66
4,957 results
All reviews manta dive night dive black water dive dive shop dry towels hot chocolate two tank big island pretzels great dive snorkel guide surface interval captain chris these guys between dives amazing experience barrel rolls
Reviewed September 9, 2016

The great customer experience with Big Island Divers starts on the phone, continues when you arrive at their store and is outstanding when you are on the boat with their crew. We did two days of diving and three different dive trips. The captain and crew on both days were great, friendly and very nice. They went out of their way to make everyone comfortable.

Reviewed September 8, 2016

So frustrated to have paid so much to not see one manta when the company advertises 95 percent of tours have manta encounters. Have never had sea sickness or motion sickness in my life (roller coasters, boats, planes, etc.) and at least 5 passengers on the boat where sick, including myself. One lady even threw up. If you even think you might get sick, do not take this tour. 50 percent off another miserable experience is not worth it. Save your money and snorkel at captain cooks. I wonder if the crew was aware of a reduced chance of manta encounters because of the recent storm, but took us out anyway. They also plead for a good trip advisor review at the end of the tour.

Date of experience: September 2016
BigIslandDivers, Guest Relations Manager at Big Island Divers, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2016

Aloha Jenny J!

Thank you for your feedback, we welcome all reviews in order to improve our business and stay the #1 dive company in Kona! We are sorry to hear that you did not have manta rays on your visit. Unfortunately, manta rays are wild creatures and their presence can be affected by surf conditions, seasonal changes and the quantity of food in the water. We cannot guarantee their presence; while we are lucky enough to see mantas often, they do not show up nightly if there is a better food source elsewhere.

Our main concern is always safety, so our crew always checks ocean conditions before we head out on charters. If at anytime safety was called into question, the charter would have been cancelled. Sometimes the night charters have slightly bumpier conditions, so all of our vessels have Bonine available to help combat motion sickness, as well as ginger ale and ginger chews on board.

We end all of our tours with a welcome back speech and always ask for guest feedback and reviews so that we can continually improve our customer's experience!

Mahalo nui loa,
The Crew at Big Island Divers

Reviewed September 8, 2016 via mobile

Probably...no, definitely the best experience of my life!!! Emily and Leao were super friendly and professional, and the mantas...magical!! Thanks!!

1  Thank martina-mazzu23
Reviewed September 5, 2016

Everything was well organized. The boat was clean and top notch. The crew the same.

One word of caution, this is not an easy tour. You have to put on a wet suit. The crew was in the water with you while you are holding on to a floaty thing in the dark in the open ocean (Yes you are .5 a mile from shore, but still there's a lot of movement!) I'm 61 and fairly fit but I would not do this at 71. One friend got queasy and out of breath (not very fit even at 40!) and ended up getting out and not ever wanting to do this again.

For me, I probably would, but the ROI (return on investment) for viewing the Manta Rays is not assured. You can not "command" when they will show up. In fact it took :30 mins before I even saw one. On top of that there were A LOT of other snorkeler around and 20 or so scuba divers below you. So many people that dangling legs from another tour would get in the way of my viewing. And the bubbles from scuba divers below made it hard to see. I also wondered if all this traffic was inhibiting the Mantas from appearing. (They use strong lights to attracted the crustaceans that they eat on).

Again the tour operator BID was fantastic & helpful. I kinda wish there was more "attracting lights" and separate areas for floating snorkelers and another area for scuba divers. Basically tour operators spaced between other tour operators.

Oh take a pair of ear plugs for the loud :45 min boat ride to/from the viewing area. You won't get a head ache then.

Again, great crew and company.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed September 5, 2016

My husband and I did the Twilight scuba + Manta Ray night dive (2 dives)- and it was the highlight of our trip! We literally came to Kona JUST to see the Mantas- and of course to have a fun Hawaiian vacation.

Our crew ROCKED! We had Captain Emily, and dive leaders Becca & Laiou- and they were all fantastic! Emily was a riot! She kept the attention of the divers, educated us on Mantas and the company- while seamlessly interjecting her humor along the way. She was great! The dive leaders were highly experienced, made sure we were safe and pointed out the fun fish that we should check out. For the Manta dive (where you are really just sitting on the ocean floor)- they made sure we were heavy enough to comfortably relax on the floor while checking out the Mantas.

LOVE that this is one of few green certified companies that dive with the Mantas. When you get down there – you will see that there are MANY companies that dive- but I appreciated the eco- consciousness of Big Island Dives.

THE MANTAS ROCKED!! It was crazy and amazing all at the same time! We saw a total of 4 mantas over a 40 minute dive. They feed on the plankton in the area. Plankton are attracted to the light generated by your flashlights- so the Mantas get VERY close to you! I describe it as a Manta feeding ballet. The Mantas do a barrel roll to eat and its incredible to see! I will do this again the next time I am in Kona.

Absolutely perfect experience! Wouldn’t change a thing and hope to do it again soon!

Date of experience: August 2016