“Big Island Diving Fun - An Awesome Experience”
Review of Big Island Divers

Big Island Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big Island Divers has been serving the Kona diving community since 1984. We offer a full-service diving experience, allowing you to relax and enjoy the underwater scenery. With 5 vessels and a crew of over 40, we accommodate divers or snorkelers of all experience levels and take great pride in providing unforgettable memories day after day. We love sharing our passion with others, and we offer a wide variety of certifications for beginners and advanced divers alike. Our knowledgeable and patient PADI and SSI instructors are here to help those wanting to take the first step in their dive education; experienced divers can enjoy progressing their skills with our extensive specialty course offerings list. Our newly-renovated, 2,000+ square foot retail space is fully stocked with every kind of equipment, apparel, dive accessory,and snorkel gear you need to enjoy the ocean.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were very luck to be the only two divers on the boat with Jonathan - and four snorkelers. Our captain April was great - even with lots of korny jokes - and Adam was great. We all had a blast and laughed lots too. The manta ray experience was truly magical and an experience we would do again. The crew was kind, took care of all our needs and was very funny and courteous. We had a great time and all went home smiling. We would highly recommend this crew to family and friends.

Below are YouTube links to videos from our dives:

1  Thank 2010_Travelers
Write a ReviewReviews (4,214)
All reviews
in 81 reviews
"monk seal"
in 62 reviews

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We took the option for an afternoon snorkel as well as the night manta snorkel. Eric and Bob were great hosts on the water, keeping everyone entertained, well-fed and educated. We were really impressed with the running of the whole operation and would highly recommend Big Island Divers for this once in a lifetime experience.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I booked to do two two-tank dives with Big Island Divers. As this was my first diving experience following my certification, I opted to do the morning dives with an instructor and then fly solo (well, dive as a group) on the twilight dives to see the manta rays.

Everyone in the store was super friendly. My instructor helped to kit me out and then we made our way to the harbour to do the two-tank morning dive. I was all ready to start assembling my gear but this is something that is already done for you. The first dive was good and the instructor showed me some pretty cool stuff. We then sailed to another location where things, unfortunately, started to go a bit pear-shaped. My tank got changed and we went in for dive number 2. After about 25 minutes, my air started to get a really heavy. We ended up ascending, my tank was changed and we went back in. I'm not sure what the deal was-whether the tank hadn't been changed, or whether there was a fault somewhere. But what I do know is, that when you're breathing and the air is not light and fluffy, it's a pretty scary feeling.

It's my own fault as much as anyone-buddy checks are vital. Begin with review and friend, divers. As a result of the slight knock to my ego, I downgraded my two-tank twilight dive to one tank instead and was issued with a refund for the difference.

On the flip side, the manta ray dive with Flipper and Captain Dom was absolutely amazing!! There was a great vibe on the boat and both guys were super supportive and reassuring when I said I was a beginner diver and a little nervous after the previous day's experience. We got to the site and waited for it to get dark. There were only 4 divers with Flipper and he was great in getting us all down and seated. The manta rays were amazing! They swum away from our lights at the start but the came closer after a while. They were huge!! Flipper did a great job in getting the 4 mantas to swim over our heads. I really enjoyed this part of the diving experience and felt like I was in great hands.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we called to book to when we left the boat the staff were excellent!!
All gear, both the diving & the snorkeling was in great condition.
Boat was comfortable & not overpacked.
The Manta Rays & the sight we visited, safety & respect of the wildlife were the top priority.
Couldn't recommend the team enough!
Thanks!!