“Great dive operation. Maybe the best.”
Review of Big Island Divers

Big Island Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big Island Divers has been serving the Kona diving community since 1984. We offer a full-service diving experience, allowing you to relax and enjoy the underwater scenery. With 5 vessels and a crew of over 40, we accommodate divers or snorkelers of all experience levels and take great pride in providing unforgettable memories day after day. We love sharing our passion with others, and we offer a wide variety of certifications for beginners and advanced divers alike. Our knowledgeable and patient PADI and SSI instructors are here to help those wanting to take the first step in their dive education; experienced divers can enjoy progressing their skills with our extensive specialty course offerings list. Our newly-renovated, 2,000+ square foot retail space is fully stocked with every kind of equipment, apparel, dive accessory,and snorkel gear you need to enjoy the ocean.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This might be the best dive operation I've ever used. So where to start...first, their staff is very friendly, outgoing and approachable. In addition, they are fun without sacrificing safety. I did the night mantra ray dive with Big Island Divers with my 10-year old daughter, who had been certified just a couple of weeks earlier. They assigned us our own dive master, Malia, to help look out for my daughter. She couldn't have been better at with my daughter. Not only was this just my daughter's fourth dive, but her first night dive. And Malia was great at explaining everything she needed to know. She had the heart of a teacher. I really appreciate her attentiveness with my little girl.

I've been diving since 2000 and this is one of the only dive shops I've used that will let you bring your gear (we brought our own gear with us) in a day or two before the dive to store and set up. Then after the dive they happily cleaned all of our gear and told us they would hang it up to dry and that we could pick it up in the next day or two.

And this dive shop was already getting the highest marks before this last episode. Somehow during the dive I lost my BCD weight pouch. I called and spoke with Mark (I believe) and he could not have been more helpful. Immediately, he told me that they would replace it. No questions asked; simply they would replace it. Luckily, it turned out that another dive operation found my pouch during the dive and returned it to Big Island Divers and they turned mailed it to me.

From Malia, to Flipper and the other great crew members, I can't think of another dive operation that is any better than this group. Keep up the good work!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,794)
All reviews
in 41 reviews
"captain chris"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is the third year I've gone out with BID and, again, it was one of the highlights of my trip! The crew was great -- Captain Mike, Divemaster Tara, and "Surface Dive Leader" Adam were awesome! We took the twilight+night dive where you get to see Garden Eel Cove (aka Manta Heaven) both at twilight and at night. I would probably rather go to a different site for the first dive, but it was still cool.

We saw seven mantas that night. In previous years, we saw four. Whatever the number, even if it's "just" four -- or even ONE for that matter -- it's an amazing site to behold! You won't be disappointed!

One bonus thing that makes me like these guys even more -- Capt Mike stopped the boat on the way to the site and Adam jumped into the water to retrieve some plastic trash that was bobbing in the ocean. So nice to see how much they care.

I can't wait to come back for more!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and son came back very enthused after their afternoon and evening two-tank dive. They were especially awed by their experience with manta rays. Perhaps 20 manta rays, some weighing as much 1600 pounds with 16-foot wing spreads, came to feed on the plankton that were attracted by the lights held by the divers and snorkelers. The rays came very close as the divers stood still holding the lights. Of the ten or so divers, one man was coming back for his third nighttime experience.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The crew worked very hard to make our dives perfect. Flipper (Dive Master and dive guide) and Andrew (Captain) did a fantastic job making sure we get to experience all aspects of the dive. I would recommend them to all my friends. Very professional group from the shop to the boat to the dive selection. If something goes wrong, they will make it right. The groups are small and the boat id very comfortable. One of the best operations I ever dove with.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went on the double snorkeling manta trip last night with the great folks from BID. While not the largest outfit at dive site that night, we all left feeling like we picked the right folks to spend our evening with. Jonathan and Tara provided a great briefing prior to entering the water and Captain Mike made sure we all got there safely and back.

This trip felt more like an evening excursion with friends than a tour service due to the crew's inclusive and friendly attitude. I cannot say enough about the courteous and supportive atmosphere this team created for those aboard with physical difficulties or apprehensions to jumping into open water at night.

Food and snacks were provided, even some hot chocolate when we came back on the boat. Big Island Divers works together with other boats to ensure a good time is had by all (well everyone except the plankton....) with great respect for the Mantas ensuring that many can enjoy this rare experience for years to come.

Thanks again Mike, Tara, Jonathan and the rest of the folks at Big Island Divers!