“Manta Ray Night Dive”
Review of Big Island Divers

Big Island Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big Island Divers has been serving the Kona diving community since 1984. We offer a full-service diving experience, allowing you to relax and enjoy the underwater scenery. With 5 vessels and a crew of over 40, we accommodate divers or snorkelers of all experience levels and take great pride in providing unforgettable memories day after day. We love sharing our passion with others, and we offer a wide variety of certifications for beginners and advanced divers alike. Our knowledgeable and patient PADI and SSI instructors are here to help those wanting to take the first step in their dive education; experienced divers can enjoy progressing their skills with our extensive specialty course offerings list. Our newly-renovated, 2,000+ square foot retail space is fully stocked with every kind of equipment, apparel, dive accessory,and snorkel gear you need to enjoy the ocean.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Of all the activities we engaged in on our recent visit to the Big Island, none were as thrilling and memorable as going out with Big Island Divers to see the giant Manta Rays. The company was well-organized, well-equipped, friendly and professional in every respect, from the fitting of our wetsuits to the helpful briefings prior to the dive and the refreshments provided on board. It was a lovely sunset cruise out to the little bay where the Rays hang out with plenty of time to chat with other divers/snorklers and get an informative talk by the dive captain.

Once at the site, we all got into the water (we snorkeled) and awaited the arrival of the Rays. It was a short wait before they started to appear and when they did it was magical! Beautiful, graceful creatures gliding and pirouetting below us, sometimes within inches of us, as they feasted on the plankton attracted by the lights shining down from our raft and up from the scuba divers below. This was even more exhilarating and exotic than diving with dolphins. If you plan to visit the Big Island, this has to be at the top of your list of things to do.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,095)
All reviews
in 97 reviews
"monk seal"
in 62 reviews

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My family did the Manta Ray Night Dive recently. We had two scuba divers and 4 snorkelers including my nephew who has some mobility problems. Everyone from the staff in the office to the crew was extremely helpful and very friendly. The pre-dive briefing by Flipper was informative and entertaining. Since I'm a diver, I didn't experience the snorkeling group, but my sister said that Zane, the snorkel leader looked after them and was great. They had snacks, sodas, and hot chocolate available, and the equipment was first rate. The rays themselves were amazing. I wished I had time for more dives with them during the trip, it was such a great experience.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked the whale/dolphin charter for the day and did the 2-tank Manta Ray dive after. The crew decided to look for whales first while the other boats were after the dolphins. Great idea as we ended up with a good 30 min private show with a family of whales (mom, dad, baby) and the baby was breaching a lot! Sooo exciting! After we had our fill, the crew decided to look for the dolphins and we got to snorkel with a pod of 200. We were dropped off on the dolphins' path thrice and had our fill of being surrounded by dolphins. We then topped it off with a snorkel near the bay. After the whales and dolphins, it really wasn't that exciting so we decided to head back. I then did the 2-tank dive and the crew was excellent! Very good briefing and everyone was really helpful. I get cold easily and Corinne from the dive shop made sure that I got an extra shortie to add on my full suit. The first dive, we were lucky to see a solitary manta gliding around the reef. However, the reef and fishes were so-so compared to the reefs I've been to. But really, you're there to see the mantas. And yes, they lived up to the hype. It was a spectacular underwater ballet of 20 mantas! Even though I was freezing, I would do it again and again if I could. It was just simply amazing! The mantas were gliding above, behind and over you! They were doing sommersaults! You can see their mouths (and even inside their mouths!) wide open and their gills/belly! Amazing! We then headed back after about 35mins with the group of mantas. On the way back, a manta followed us and hanged out by the boat. So yes, with the whales, dolphins and mantas, it definitely was one of the best days of my life! Oh, when we got back to the boat, they offered towels and hot chocolate to ward off the cold. Crew and gears were great! I would definitely suggest to do both the dolphin/whale charter and manta in one day if you're short for time. I would do the manta dive a few more times if I had time but skip the reef dive. It's sooo worth it!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just Dove with Big island Divers few days ago, I would say they are one of the best!! Great crew.. From the office -Andrew is very friendly and helpful and set us up for the dive even though we came to the shop around 5mins to 6pm which is closing time they still helped us.From the Boat- Vinny the Captain ,April,And Kevin they were all great!! I would dive with them again any day. And for the Manta Ray Night dive -- Shauna the Captain and Flipper were awesome! It was an unforgettable experience with the mantas .. and the Brownies/hot chocolate were perfect! Bottom line-- Big island Divers is a five star dive company very Professional and Great crew!! I would surely dive with them again...
Thanks Big Island Divers and especially to the crew who accommodated us.

Patrick--- San jose,California