“Mantas - not for the faint hearted!”
Review of Big Island Divers

Big Island Divers
Ranked #2 of 205 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big Island Divers has been serving the Kona diving community since 1984. We offer a full-service diving experience, allowing you to relax and enjoy the underwater scenery. With 5 vessels and a crew of over 40, we accommodate divers or snorkelers of all experience levels and take great pride in providing unforgettable memories day after day. We love sharing our passion with others, and we offer a wide variety of certifications for beginners and advanced divers alike. Our knowledgeable and patient PADI and SSI instructors are here to help those wanting to take the first step in their dive education; experienced divers can enjoy progressing their skills with our extensive specialty course offerings list. Our newly-renovated, 2,000+ square foot retail space is fully stocked with every kind of equipment, apparel, dive accessory,and snorkel gear you need to enjoy the ocean.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The trip is amazing but I found it just too hard .. ask for lots of weight o hold you down ..its certainly not a "20 swim and sit on the bottom " as described however my partner managed fine in heavy surge and seeing the mantas swoop and somersault close overhead is other world stuff Big Island Divers friendly and professional

1  Thank travelmum76
Write a ReviewReviews (3,803)

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Wow, wow, and WOW! Who says that 52 is too old to start diving? We just returned from a fabulous vacation, spent entirely diving with Big Island Divers (BID). Seventeen dives in 9 days, and we couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more. We absolutely love every single person at BID. They cater to everyone's needs, no matter the guest's experience level. Since I am new to diving (certified in August 2012), they spent extra time helping to build my confidence. By the end of the trip, I was finally comfortable thanks to all the extra attention. Hubby is an experienced diver, so he was able to venture away from me without worrying about my safety. The captains and dive masters work hard to find the best dive spots for the day's conditions. Guests were always asking to dive near turtles or manta rays, and were often rewarded with the experience they requested. Plenty of food and drinks are provided on the boats, so we always had plenty of energy for the next dive. We did drift dives, dove through arches and caves and into pipes, saw sandy bottoms, and beautiful coral. The fish are so plentiful; it's like diving into a giant aquarium. The crew is very knowledgeable, pointing out all of the interesting creatures that one might otherwise miss. There is truly no better diving in Hawaii, and no better people to dive with. Whether you are looking for a discover scuba, a dive/snorkel with manta rays, a black water dive, a 2-tank dive, or a dolphin/whale charter, BID has it all. Mahalo for the vacation of a lifetime. We'll see you next year; sooner if possible.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

What an awesome group of people to dive with... shop , boat drivers and dive masters. We dove a number of times in Feb. They explain about the dive sight and what to look for , then in the water, look and get very excited to show off the sights underwater... rare fish, eels, octopus, etc. They really care about the ocean and take great care of us divers, too. We also , had a whale and dolphin tour added in at no extra cost. Our daughter and a friend got thier open water certification... so wonderful was the experiance !!! Thanks to All the staff !!!

1  Thank Kingcotts
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I decided to use Big Island Divers on my latest vacation and had a fantastic experience. As having done quite a bit of diving, I found they are by far the best Dive Operator that I have been with. The staff is excellent, the diving groups were a comfortable size and the extra touches of providing towels and washing and storing your gear after diving is something that I have not found anywhere else. I highly recommend Big Island.

If you haven’t dove the big island of Hawaii, you will be hard pressed to find better for big animal experiences. I did a 4 tank dive with on Feb 5, dolphin/whale watching tour on Feb 6 and a one tank Manta dive on Feb 7. The dive sites on the morning dive was great as the coral reef was spectacular and did happen to see a big Manta glide by during the first dive. I also did the two tank Twilight & Manta Ray Night Charter which was a great experience, especially having Crazy Frank cozy up to me on the night dive. The dolphin tour is a definite must but the Manta dive on the 7th was an experience of a lifetime. 9 Mantas were present during my dive. It was like watching an underwater ballet and found out in a good way that shy they are not. Having them glide by within feet of you is incredible. I can’t say enough about the experience. It is the stuff memories are made of.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We did the Dolphin/Whale watching, then the next day the manta ray night snorkel: both were excellent.

Our first trip with Big Island Divers was the dolphin and whale watching tour. We didn't see many whales, but it wasn't for a lacking of trying, we went up the coast quite a ways in search of them. The dolphin watching was great, we got to see 100+ dolphins swim by under us several times, we were following them down the coast.

The manta ray dive was good, it was very busy with other boats the night we went so the area was pretty crowded. Big Island Divers waits to get in the water until later then others, but they also stay after everyone else leaves. So if it's hard to see at first just be patient, when people start to leave the manta's will come to you since there aren't any other groups shining lights into the water.

1  Thank dhf_002