“Great experience”

Surfer Bear Hawaii Surf Lessons
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a great time with Surfer Bear. My son and I wanted to give it a try and just couldn't stop. We were total beginners but they got us on the board immediatly. Such a great experience!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank tboettjer

Des Moines
“Best Part of Our Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband wanted to surf in Hawaii and I was not sold on the idea until I read Surfer Bear's reviews. We went out with him and Jeff (Geoff?) last Friday and had the time of our lives. They managed to get us both up on the very first wave - ridiculous! Both of these guys are so exceedingly polite, kind and positive. It's obvious they have a good time doing this, and they wanted to make sure that we were having a great time, too. We spent most of our time with Jeff, as Barry had to help some folks onshore, and he is wonderful at giving positive, encouraging tips on how to improve with each wave. It was inspiring just to listen to him talk about surfing. I never could've guessed at how much fun this turned out to be. I seriously hope we revisit Kona again someday and get the chance to take another lesson with these guys!

Visited February 2013
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“One-on-one attention”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked a lesson with Surfer Bear while on the Big Island. I am a total beginner (this was my second time surfing), and Barry and his co-instructor were really nice and patient.

The lesson was supposed to be 2 of us (with 1 instructor) but Barry saw the waves were a little bigger than expected so he brought another instructor so we could have 1-on-1 instruction (for no added cost).

I had a great time and would highly recommend Surfer Bear if you want to surf on the Big Island!

Visited January 2013
Calgary
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

My 2 kids (11 and 14) took a lesson from Barry. They had a fantastic time and where able to stand up on the boards right away. My daughter was caught in a rip tide the day before, but Barry and his instructors made her feel comfortable. Whatever fears she had she got over pretty quick! Surfer Bear is totally worth doing and would be happy to do it all over again!

Visited December 2012
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Excellent teacher! Great with a young kiddo (4 year old)!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Barry was amazing with our daughter. Super-fun and relaxed, able to show her how it's done, plus attentive to safety. We'll be looking for him next time we're on the island, and we absolutely recommend him.

Visited January 2013