“An okay experience”

$204.68*
and up
Kona Submarine Adventure and Royal Kona Resort Luau
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We've never been to a luau... so not sure what to compare it to. Everyone said we have to do it at least once while in Hawaii...so we did. The show was good, lovely location, the drinks were okay and the food was so-so. Actually, food could have been a lot better. The check in staff was actually a bit rude... we asked if they could take our picture and they said sure when the line is finished.... there was no line? Anyway, the dancers were all good, especially the fire show at the end.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Expect a hokey experience, like most luaus, with hula dancers, a Hawaiian band, fire majorettes, and mostly forgettable food - all at premium prices! The pit roast pig was indeed very good and tasty, but the beef was fit for resoling boots and the sides were not worth fighting over. The initial mai tai drinks were mostly fruit juice with a mere topping of rum. The most impressive sight of the evening - the massive and mocking protruding tongue of the chief male dancer, seemingly intended to taunt the audience, which like me, tends to the silver-haired demographic. Lawrence Welk would have loved it, but alas.....

Reviewed June 1, 2013

The show was excellent and the drinks were standard. What brought my rating down to average, even if this was one of the highlights of our trip because of the amazing dancers and fire show, was the flies on the food. The cook didn't even bother to shoo them away or wait for the people to start lining up to uncover the dishes. So by the time I went up there were flies laying eggs and hovering around every dish. (I recommend at any buffet always digging to the bottom)

The pork was swamped with flies and I mean I understand if your outdoors you expect a few bugs but they simply didn't care and let their meats be swarmed by tons of flies. I was too drunk to care and had some food anyways (It was very bland) If they had just a show option I'd go again. But paying around 80$ for food and show when the food is borderline disgusting doesn't appeal to me. It's too bad. The show really was a highlight of our trip to Hawaii but the food really knocked my rating down two pegs.

Its too bad because next time I come I will try to find another luau for friends and family to enjoy but I cant seem to find a luau with positive reviews on the food.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a well oiled money-making production. The entertainment is good - fire dancer is great! The rest I could have done without. Soggy breading on fish, flies landing all over the desserts, and no alcohol in the mai tais (I'm not a drinker& would have known if there was ANY rum present).

1  Thank Beth B
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Open Bar for the first couple of hours, food is amazingly well done, entertainment was top notch. Don't let the wait to get in discourage you from the overall experience! We had a great time there!

1  Thank Aaron D