“Draft Beer - Fabulous IPA”

Kona Brewing Company Pub & Brewery
Ranked #9 of 293 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The 2,000-square-foot outdoor lanai, surrounded by lush tropical vegetation and tiki torches, offers seating for 175 patrons. Customers also can enjoy a cool meal or beverage inside the air-conditioned bar area at one of several surrounding tables or at the koa U-shaped bar itself. Inside the bar area is the retail store, stocked with colorful T-shirts, hats, towels, coasters, mugs and much more.
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had three lunches and one dinner during our stay on Hawaii. The draft Castaway IPA is a winner for anyone who loves IPA's. The spinach salad with local goat cheese and macadamia nuts is fresh and excellent. Their pizza is among the best. Very nice waitstaff with lots of personality. Locals and visitors frequent this hidden away place. Well worth seeking out directions to navigate through Kona.

There are newer reviews for Kona Brewing Company Pub & Brewery

Reviewed May 6, 2013

When we travel, my husband likes to sample the local beer. We stopped at the Kona Brewing company for a snack and some beers. It reminded me of the BW3's chain, with the food being typical bar/restaurant food, but with different beer. My husband enjoyed trying a few different brews and I'm glad we stopped, but I'm not sure I'd label this a must eat location.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

As homebrewers, my husband and I try to stop by every brewery we can. The first time we tried going to Kona Brewing Company, there was a two-hour wait for a table. The hostess explained it was because they had live music that night and said to try back later in the week.

We did return later, but weren't thrilled by what we found. It was happy hour, but there were no food specials (like their location in Honolulu) only beer. My husband's IPA was one-note and bland, my lager was fine, but nothing to write home about. We split an appetizer - the much-raved-about roasted garlic - which was tasty enough but came with just enough bread for one serving. We finished the bread in seconds and still had tons of cheese and garlic leftover. The server did oblige when we asked for more.

The service is my main issue. The hostess on our return visit ignored us completely when we first arrived, though we were the only guests standing in the vicinity of the booth. She helped us begrudgingly, as did our server, both of whom seemed like they would rather be anywhere else. Off-the-clock staffers traipsed through the restaurant in street clothes several times, laughing and chasing one another around. Loud pop music meant that my husband and I really couldn't converse at all. The end result is that we just didn't feel welcome. We decided to cash out after our appetizer and go elsewhere for dinner.

I'm not sure what I was expecting. With such rave reviews and such a great bottled product on the mainland, I guess I was just expecting ... More?

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Food was excellent; enough beer varieties to satisfy most folks. The pizza hot & delicious. Spinach/strawberry salad is plentiful enough to share. Sandwiches are also a good choice. Staff is attentive and friendly. Either inside or outside seating is available.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We never made it beyond the appetizers, they were fantastic as a full meal as well! Their beer is excellent of course. Gluten free options as well at the time we visited.