“The highlight of our trip to Kona!”
Review of Wahine Charters

Wahine Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Wahine Charters is a snorkel tour company specializing in Whale Watch, Wild Dolphin Swim, Historical Captain Cook Snorkel, Manta Ray Snorkel and Private Charters. Our boat is a 29' US Coast Guard Approved motor vessel with padded seating, shade and a marine toilet. We limit our tours to 12 guest for a more intimate experience. We are family owned and operated insuring the best care and service.
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
“The highlight of our trip to Kona!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Wahine charters manta ray snorkle was an amazing experience. The staff was great. The day before our scheduled trip there had been beach closings due to tiger sharks in the area. The staff made sure that we were comfortable with getting in the water. I was nervous up untill we got there (we have a 7 yr old) but the staff totally put me at ease. I am so glad we went ahead with it. We got to see lots of manta rays. They came within inches of us. The water was 79 but after the sun goes down it was nice that they had wet suits for everyone. I would highly recommend Wahine Charters.

Oxfordshire, England
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Incredible, another Big Island must!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Wow! What an experience. We were told about the different Manta snorkeling experiences on offer by our concierge, and she said two things set these guys apart - customer service and departure time.

The service was friendly, well organised, confident and first class. There was no additional charge for a wetsuit, which you will definitely want on.

The departure time is the real key though - they get to the area (20 mins or so boatride) just as all the other tours depart, so rather than competing for Mantas, the Mantas compete for the plankton drawn by the light from the clever contraption they use for this purpose.

It's deep water, it's dark, I'm no great swimmer but I felt very safe. All you have to be able to do is swim about 3 metres, then you hold on to a pipe set around a light in a superman pose. You get about 30 mins or so viewing time which I found just right.

You're told no to try and touch the Mantas and I didn't need to - they got so close they touched me with their wings. Constant looping underneath me - it's quite a thing to see their large mouth coming towards you! Felt a bit like Jonah. As with anything natural there's no guarantees but my experience was awesome.

Bravo!

Maryland
“Awesome Night Manta Swim and Dolphin Swim”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The late night manta swim was the highlight of our time in Kona! Watching them swim loops up to the lighted surf board we held onto was amazing. Wahine Charters is the only company offering a late night manta trip--highly recommend it! There was one boat at the manta spot when we arrived, but they left soon after and we had the mantas all to ourselves. The homemade soup after exiting the water was excellent and helped warm us up on the ride back to the marina.

We also did the dolphin swim. We lucked out and it was just a group of 6 which made for quicker water entry. Capt. Tim did a great job positioning the boat ahead of the dolphins twice and we were able to get close up shots and video of the dolphins as they swam around me. I almost got a picture of the baby dolphin! :) Kealakekua bay was an amazing place to snorkel. Lots of fish and just the way the reef drops off was so cool.

Capt. Tim and Randy were great and their wives were very friendly over the phone and at the late night manta snorkel check-in. We really appreciated how Tim is trying to have as little impact on the reefs and sea life as possible. He was good about reminding people not to touch the mantas since it causes lesions on their skin and not to step on the coral because it kills it.

San Diego, California, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A MUST do when you're on the Big Island!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We did a 8pm Manta Ray snorkel tour. It was AMAZING!! We went on a 20 minute ride to the cove near the airport. After five minutes six rays were swimming below us. They stayed the entire time we were in the water (30 plus minutes) feeding off the plankton attracted by our light board. The largest ray had a 14 foot wingspan! They swam and rolled within inches of us - sometimes brushing into us. When we got back on board, we were greeted with hot soup and fruit. Captain Tim and his crewman and Cindy, who met with wetsuits, were all very friendly. I would recommend wearing a wetsuit since the water was chilly at night.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The manta ray snorkel is probably the coolest thing I have ever done.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We went on an amazing boat ride from the harbor that took about 20 mins. We saw some spinner dolphins on the way to the area where we snorkeled. Our captain Tim , Randy and his wife were very knowledgeable of Hawaii and the manta rays, they were very friendly and explained everything we would be doing. We saw a beautiful sunset then the fun continued. We swam holding on to a platform with our lights on to the area where the mantas would be. They were beautiful and very graceful, the one they had named Lefty did flips under us about 20 times, they came within inches of us and are about 12 feet wide. We saw about 12 mantas that night. We were all just amazed at how large and graceful they are. After we finished we swam back to the boat and randy the chef had prepared the best soup I think I've ever had and of course my favorite Hawaiian chips. We felt very safe the entire trip with the Wahini crew. I definitely recommend them for your manta ray snorkel. The price is not bad either. What am amazing time.

Visited May 2013