“A MUST do when you're on the Big Island!!”
Review of Wahine Charters

Wahine Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Wahine Charters is a snorkel tour company specializing in Whale Watch, Wild Dolphin Swim, Historical Captain Cook Snorkel, Manta Ray Snorkel and Private Charters. Our boat is a 29' US Coast Guard Approved motor vessel with padded seating, shade and a marine toilet. We limit our tours to 12 guest for a more intimate experience. We are family owned and operated insuring the best care and service.
San Diego, California, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A MUST do when you're on the Big Island!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We did a 8pm Manta Ray snorkel tour. It was AMAZING!! We went on a 20 minute ride to the cove near the airport. After five minutes six rays were swimming below us. They stayed the entire time we were in the water (30 plus minutes) feeding off the plankton attracted by our light board. The largest ray had a 14 foot wingspan! They swam and rolled within inches of us - sometimes brushing into us. When we got back on board, we were greeted with hot soup and fruit. Captain Tim and his crewman and Cindy, who met with wetsuits, were all very friendly. I would recommend wearing a wetsuit since the water was chilly at night.

Visited August 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The manta ray snorkel is probably the coolest thing I have ever done.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We went on an amazing boat ride from the harbor that took about 20 mins. We saw some spinner dolphins on the way to the area where we snorkeled. Our captain Tim , Randy and his wife were very knowledgeable of Hawaii and the manta rays, they were very friendly and explained everything we would be doing. We saw a beautiful sunset then the fun continued. We swam holding on to a platform with our lights on to the area where the mantas would be. They were beautiful and very graceful, the one they had named Lefty did flips under us about 20 times, they came within inches of us and are about 12 feet wide. We saw about 12 mantas that night. We were all just amazed at how large and graceful they are. After we finished we swam back to the boat and randy the chef had prepared the best soup I think I've ever had and of course my favorite Hawaiian chips. We felt very safe the entire trip with the Wahini crew. I definitely recommend them for your manta ray snorkel. The price is not bad either. What am amazing time.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Acmcdade2
kailua kona
“Great time”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I went out with Wahine Charters two times, one day for a swim with the dolphins which was fantastic, my sister still talks about it, then in July 2013 I went on the 9pm manta snorkel, I have to say it was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life... The review from Dive Rich pretty much says it all, and I agree.. I live here in Kona and I will go again with Wahine Charters, great group of people and the way they have it set up anyone can do it and have the experience of a lifetime. It is a must do if your on the Big island.
Aloha, Mike

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Wahine Charters”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to the Big Island, and I wanted to do something different! So I asked around and several people told me to try the Night Manta Ray Snorkle. It sounded interesting, but nothing could have prepared me for what came to be, one of the top 2 experiences of my life! I went on the 9 o'clock Snorkle with the crew from Wahine Charters! What wonderful men on the expedition! The first mate was warm, personable, helpful, as well as an amazing chef! What an extra!! I didn't expect such great food, including home made soup! The Mantas rolled right underneath me, it was so incredible! Everything was first class, from the way I was treated, to the beautiful creatures, and the yummy soup! Wahine Charters, you rock!!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our family went out for a manta ray snorkel with Wahine Charters. Check-in was painless & we were quickly sized for wetsuits/snorkel gear. Captain Tim & crew Randy were friendly, informative, & went the extra mile to ensure that we had a wonderful trip. During the ride out to the site, Captain Tim spotted some spinner dolphins & took us over to them. We were able to watch them jump, spin, & surf in the boat wake. Once at the manta site, we were briefed about the mantas & were then able to jump in before all the other snorkelers from other boats. We got bonus time in the water (& saw mantas swimming around). During the night snorkel, customers hold onto a surfboard with really bright lights shining into the water. This attracts lots of plankton, so we had mantas up close & personal (seemed to be a better show than some of the other outfits in the water at the same time). Randy was in the water with us at all times to ensure we had a safe & pleasant time. After we got out of the water, we were offered hot soup (a nice treat after being in the water!) & a delicious fresh pineapple/fruit plate. There were also plenty of juice/soda/water beverages available. I would definitely recommend using Wahine Charters ~ 1st class experience!