“Thank You Kala (our guide), and to Wasabi Tours”

Wasabi Tours Hawaii
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Kona Tour: Coffee Plantation, Kealakekua Bay...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wasabi Tours Hawaii is a locally owned and operated company specialize in guided small group tours on the Big Island of Hawaii. Our circle island tour, twilight volcano tour, Waipio Valley waterfall tour, historic Kona tour, and customized private tours offer a personal, exciting, and unique experience that's unmatched by other group tours. We only select the most breathtaking and scenic attractions and travel routes to ensure our guests will cherish the experience for a lifetime.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Although the drive is long from the Kona side of the island, it was a very enjoyable experience. Kala, our tour guide, who was born and raised in the island was extremely knowledgeable about the history of the island.
When we were at the rain forest, other members of other tour groups would walk with us to hear of the interesting facts about plants, birds, trees etc. The same thing happened at the Jagger Museum, other groups would listen to Kala instead of there own group.
I can't speak for other tour guides at wasabi tours, but I can say Kala was great.

tour date: 9/3/13

Thank you for a fun experience.

The Chang's

1  Thank Arthurjchang
Write a ReviewReviews (1,155)
All reviews
"his knowledge"
in 52 reviews
"lava tube"
in 59 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 47 reviews
"painted church"
in 12 reviews
"teriyaki chicken"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a wonderful and full day out even though it was called he evening volcano trip. Everything was done to allow us to sit back and relax. We were picked up and dropped off at the hotel. I couldn't believe how unaccommodating some tour operators were when you are spending hundreds of dollars. We were given lunch and dinner.. But best of all we had a guide who was from the island and wanted to show it off to you. It was like visiting a friend who was showing you around . Some tours were like being on a school trip. It was my birthday and he even bought me a birthday present. We visited the caldera area twice, one in the dark and toured the other attractions. Of course I would have liked to have seen hot lava but I understand you either have to really work at it, spend a lot of money and still its a gamble. I was quite satisfied with my day.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went on the Grand Circle Island tour and it was a wonderful experience. Kala was our guide and he was exceptional! Very informative and goes out of his was to make sure everyone is enjoying themselves! Definetly recommend to anyone visting Kona. Kala is the best! Wasabi International Tours is excellent. All stops were beautiful, and our favorite was Akaka Falls. Also, the lava tube was exciting and the black sand beach. We will be back to book more tours.

1  Thank Adacosta84
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time with our tour guide Kala who picked us up at our hotel in Kona and gave us a tour of the volcano and parts of the entire island. Our tour began at 11:30 a.m. in the morning and it was nice. We were the only couple who had booked the tour so that made it even better because Kala was now our personal/private tour guide. Our tour guide, Kala was very knowledgeable about the island and was able to answer all of our questions in depth and offer tidbits and his personal experiences as he is a native of the island. We traveled along Saddle Road between Mauna Kea mountain and Mount Kilauea. The air became very thin and I experienced nausea from the increase in elevation although my husband had no symptoms. Kala shared with us as we traveled facts about native animals and birds and pointed them out as we traveled along. When we arrived at Rainbow Falls, he took pic of my husband and I with our camera and his cellphone that was equipped with HD. We visited the Macadamian Farm and tasted the different chocolates and seasoned nuts. We also took a tour of an Orchid Farm and viewed the variety of orchids and Kala provided valuable information concerning each plant. On our way to Volcano National Park, Kala took us inside the volcano museum and gave us a briefing of what we would see in the park and the different plant and animal species we might encounter. Others that were there began to follow us just to hear the abundance of knowledge that Kala knew about the volcano and the island. We saw the steam crater, steam vents, learned about the different types of volcanic rock, and traveled through the rainforest and Thurston Lava Tube. Kala knowledge about the island is beyond compare, everywhere we turned, tourists were attracted to us to find out the intricate details that he provided. We took a ride to Black Sand Beach and was able to take pictures with the giant sea turtles basking in the sun. We tasted fresh passion fruit that Kala spotted growing along the beach. As the sun went down, we stopped for dinner at a little diner called Lava Rock and my husband and I chose the Lava Burgers which were overflowing with cheddar cheese. Afterwards we headed back to the park to view the glow of the volcanic crater at night. It was a spectacular sight to see. Luckily we brought our jackets as it gets really cold on the mountain at night. On our return to the hotel, Kala took an alternate route to avoid causing me elevation sickness. Throughout our entire trip, there was never a dull moment as Kala provided conversation until we arrived back at the hotel. It was a long day as we returned at 11:30 pm. We were tired yet very pleased with the volcano experience. This tour was well worth the price. Thanks Kala you were great!!!! We could not have asked for a more considerate and knowledgeable tour guide. I would highly recommend this tour and if you can get Kala, he is the best guide.

3  Thank Desirerah
See more reviews
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I visited the Big Island in Feb 2013 and I booked with Wasabi for their grand circle island tour. I had a great experience and I would definitely recommend their services. Kala was a experienced and informative tour guide (he's bilingual in English and Mandarin) and the small group setting (we had 6 in our group) was perfect for me because I don't like to be crammed into a big tour bus with lots of people. The vehicle seemed brand new too, it was very clean and comfortable riding in it which is important because you will spend quite some time in the van because there is a lot of ground to cover! (The big island is very big after all. Takes about 90 min to drive from one side to the other and I sure did not want to have to rent a car and drive all that by myself!) Overall, great value!