“The ultimate feel-good restaurant and fresh food!”
Review of Island Lava Java

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palani
Transit: Public bus stop 300 yards away.
Description: We offer the freshest food on the island, using locally sourced ingredients. Including grass fed Big Island Beef, local organic lettuce, Puna Chick's Chicken, Big Island goat cheese and more...All our food is prepared fresh everyday to the highest standards. We have our own bakery on site and bake all our own breads, pizza dough, pastries, muffins and desserts from scratch daily.
Reviewed December 11, 2010

We live in Kailua-Kona and regularly baske in the ultimate feel-good experience that is found at Island Lava Java. It's a sidewalk cafe overlooking the ocean with delicious and healthy food. We don't drink coffee and go for the ambience and the food. We feel that Island Lava Java is a must do while visiting Kona. The roasted veggie pesto goat cheese omelet is highly recommended!

1  Thank Lauriet807
Write a reviewReviews (3,188)

Reviewed December 8, 2010

Maybe I should have known, but this place is not for kids. One restroom they have was occupied 4 times I've tried to take my 2yr old there. And to wait for it, one must stand in kitchen basically obstructing the cooks. Besides, how is it up to the code to have bathroom entrance from the kitchen anyway?
Also, I am not sure how they make money. The waiters seem uninterested. I told them about the food allergies and ordered a specific meal (they said it was not a problem), then brought something i cannot eat. On top of that, they never came back to check if food was OK (it was not). So, I did not eat. My 2 yr old ate 4 bites of the poor excuse for Fettuccine alfredo from the kids menu (it was a bad version of mac-n-cheese). Finally, since I was starving, I've asked waiter to bring us desert menu (they are supposed to have great coffee and ice cream). After waiting for 10 min for the desert menu, I went inside to pay, then left to eat somewhere else. Horrible experience, waste of money, waste of time. Maybe others will have better luck, there are some nice reviews here.

4  Thank PeterFromSeattle
Reviewed December 8, 2010

We stopped here on our last day in Hawaii. We had limited time to eat and get to the airport. We were able to locate a great table outside, with some shade from the sun. The wait staff was quick and friendly. The food was really good as well. And the location is fabulous!! All in all - highly recommended!!! I wish I was there right now!!

Reviewed December 2, 2010

I would be a regular if of lived here:), free wi fi, great service, very nice people

Reviewed December 1, 2010

Once my boyfriend and I discovered this cafe, we went here nearly every morning!!! Great breakfast. Food was fantastic, wanted every breakfast option on the menu. A little pricey, but not horrible. The coffee was good too.

The location is the BEST. I think that is why we loved it so much. It is outdoor seating, and you overlook the water. It is just beautiful.

The servers were all great, and very patient (it was verrrry busy, get there early!). They are all cute, too. :)

GO THERE!!