“Not for kids”
Review of Island Lava Java

Island Lava Java
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Lava Java is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 304 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palani
Transit: Public bus stop 300 yards away.
Description: Great Kona Restaurant specializing in fresh, local, organic and sustainable food with 100% Kona Coffee and our own Bakery on site. Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner & Sunday brunch, we are committed to using the highest quality locally produced ingredients. We proudly feature grass fed Big Island Beef, Big Island organic goat cheese and locally grown organic produce, freshly baked house made breads, desserts & goodies. Island Lava Java, Bistro Grill is Kona's #1 Coffee House and Restaurant. We were voted to have the "Best Breakfast in Kona" by the readers of the West Hawaii Today. Island Lava Java Bistro & Grill's Island fare is inspired by everyday island cooking. You'll feel relaxed while savoring a great meal in our casual and comfortable outside, Oceanside lanai. Experience our inventive cuisine, attentive service, and a friendly atmosphere; come see what makes us one of the most popular restaurants and coffee houses in town. We look forward to meeting you!
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Maybe I should have known, but this place is not for kids. One restroom they have was occupied 4 times I've tried to take my 2yr old there. And to wait for it, one must stand in kitchen basically obstructing the cooks. Besides, how is it up to the code to have bathroom entrance from the kitchen anyway?
Also, I am not sure how they make money. The waiters seem uninterested. I told them about the food allergies and ordered a specific meal (they said it was not a problem), then brought something i cannot eat. On top of that, they never came back to check if food was OK (it was not). So, I did not eat. My 2 yr old ate 4 bites of the poor excuse for Fettuccine alfredo from the kids menu (it was a bad version of mac-n-cheese). Finally, since I was starving, I've asked waiter to bring us desert menu (they are supposed to have great coffee and ice cream). After waiting for 10 min for the desert menu, I went inside to pay, then left to eat somewhere else. Horrible experience, waste of money, waste of time. Maybe others will have better luck, there are some nice reviews here.

4  Thank PeterFromSeattle
Write a ReviewReviews (2,848)

Reviewed December 8, 2010

We stopped here on our last day in Hawaii. We had limited time to eat and get to the airport. We were able to locate a great table outside, with some shade from the sun. The wait staff was quick and friendly. The food was really good as well. And the location is fabulous!! All in all - highly recommended!!! I wish I was there right now!!

Reviewed December 2, 2010

I would be a regular if of lived here:), free wi fi, great service, very nice people

Reviewed December 1, 2010

Once my boyfriend and I discovered this cafe, we went here nearly every morning!!! Great breakfast. Food was fantastic, wanted every breakfast option on the menu. A little pricey, but not horrible. The coffee was good too.

The location is the BEST. I think that is why we loved it so much. It is outdoor seating, and you overlook the water. It is just beautiful.

The servers were all great, and very patient (it was verrrry busy, get there early!). They are all cute, too. :)

GO THERE!!

Reviewed November 28, 2010

We ate breakfast here four times over the course of a week, and the food is consistently good. Great potatoes and toast with whatever breakfast entree you choose. Service was always good, as well, but we were served twice by Celeste who was particularly great. The outside seating and view of the ocean is terrific.