“The only place on the Island we ate at twice”
Review of Island Lava Java

Island Lava Java
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Lava Java is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 302 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palani
Transit: Public bus stop 300 yards away.
Description: Great Kona Restaurant specializing in fresh, local, organic and sustainable food with 100% Kona Coffee and our own Bakery on site. Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner & Sunday brunch, we are committed to using the highest quality locally produced ingredients. We proudly feature grass fed Big Island Beef, Big Island organic goat cheese and locally grown organic produce, freshly baked house made breads, desserts & goodies. Island Lava Java, Bistro Grill is Kona's #1 Coffee House and Restaurant. We were voted to have the "Best Breakfast in Kona" by the readers of the West Hawaii Today. Island Lava Java Bistro & Grill's Island fare is inspired by everyday island cooking. You'll feel relaxed while savoring a great meal in our casual and comfortable outside, Oceanside lanai. Experience our inventive cuisine, attentive service, and a friendly atmosphere; come see what makes us one of the most popular restaurants and coffee houses in town. We look forward to meeting you!
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We ate here for a breakfast and then later on in the week for lunch. Both meals were exceptionally good. Everything was very fresh with the orange juice being the best I've ever had. Grass fed burger and fish tacos were fantastic! Great location with views of the ocean.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,784)

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We ate here one night and I had fabulous mahi mahi but my husband was disappointed in the fish tacos. They are not as good as they used to be as the shells are no longer cooked. But he had an excellent mocha for dessert. So good we decided to stop back two nights later for coffee and ice cream. Once we told the waitress (blonde with a lot of tattoos) we just wanted coffees she totally blew us off. Stood and chatted with the table next to us and never did come take our order. We finally got tired of waiting and just went to the counter and ordered ourselves. Coffee and ice cream were great but not the service. We probably would have ate here one more night had we not had that bad experience. Still like the place but customer service lame.

1  Thank Juli W
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The pineapple and kalua pork pizza is like heaven! The food is out of this world, coffee is the absolute best!!! Great cozy place to sit and watch the sunset. Nice artwork from local artists, workers are super friendly. Hands down the best place I ate at in all of the islands of Hawaii...The BEST!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Overlooks bay across the street,and ate breakfast and dinner there,and different musician playing each time. Evening guy had been singing/guitar or ukelele for some time,and when someone clapped after one song,he amusingly it scared the hell ouuta him(to hear an accolade)

Reviewed February 12, 2014

OK, let me start by saying that I am a connoisseur of sorts regarding several different foods, "Eggs Benedict" being one of them. Other than my friend Norm, who makes the best I have ever had, Lava Java definitely comes in second. Hands down!! The Hollandaise Sauce must be made fresh with every order as I have had it in the neighborhood of 30 or 40 times over the 22 years I lived there (I would have gone more often but my wife and my Dr. ganged up on me and told me I couldn't.....something to do with weight loss and high cholesterol) and it was perfect every time. Lava Java is located right on Alii Drive across from the ocean in Kailua Village so while you are having breakfast you are watching the boat traffic in the bay as well as the resident dolphin pod as they Cris-cross the bay. On most occasions as we were leaving I remember saying "It just doesn't get any better than this."