“A must go in Kona!!”
Review of Island Lava Java

Island Lava Java
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Lava Java is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 288 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palani
Transit: Public bus stop 300 yards away.
Description: Great Kona Restaurant specializing in fresh, local, organic and sustainable food with 100% Kona Coffee and our own Bakery on site. Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner & Sunday brunch, we are committed to using the highest quality locally produced ingredients. We proudly feature grass fed Big Island Beef, Big Island organic goat cheese and locally grown organic produce, freshly baked house made breads, desserts & goodies. Island Lava Java, Bistro Grill is Kona's #1 Coffee House and Restaurant. We were voted to have the "Best Breakfast in Kona" by the readers of the West Hawaii Today. Island Lava Java Bistro & Grill's Island fare is inspired by everyday island cooking. You'll feel relaxed while savoring a great meal in our casual and comfortable outside, Oceanside lanai. Experience our inventive cuisine, attentive service, and a friendly atmosphere; come see what makes us one of the most popular restaurants and coffee houses in town. We look forward to meeting you!
Seattle, Washington
“A must go in Kona!!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

One of the best dinner experiences!! Im not usually one to give all five stars unless the place was really killer, but Lava Java on kona deserves it! We were in Kona for Thanksgiving. So insted of going to a big buffet we decided to give the coffee house, which we have been going to all week,a try and was not disappointed! The scallops and rizoto were my favorite! All week we have been going for coffee and brunch and it was great, but the dinner really put it over the top. In fact one of the best meals on the big island! The chef did an amazing job, service was great as always!

South Bend, WA
“Modest place”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had dinner there at 5:30. SUNSET BURGER and salad for me, GRILLED PRIME RIB SANDWICH and salad for my wife. Both good. Just had water. Total cost w/ tax $22.82. I paid with CC and left a $5 tip, but oddly they must be math challenged because CC charge ended up as $28.42. Not a big deal, but odd. I think one other customer there when we were there.

Portland, Oregon
“Best breakfast & some guy singing.”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I came here for breakfast on a Sunday morning about 10 am. They are on island time, so don't expect a quick eat and run type of morning. However, the veggie omelette I ordered was incredible. I ordered roasted potatoes... best roasted potatoes ever. My husband also loved his eggs benedict. I topped my breakfast off with a vanilla milk shake (why not? I'm on vacation!), and all was well in the world. I've heard lunch is tasty too.

There was entertainment also. There was a guy playing guitar and singing some classic rock tunes... I normall think this kind of thing is a bit cheesy, but he was really good! So, I enjoyed every bit of my time at Lava Java and am determined to get there again before our trip is over.

150 Great Wolf Drive
“Fresh and organic”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stopped for dinner last night and enjoyed the outdoor seating on a beautiful Kona evening. There is no alcohol but patrons could bring their own if they wished. The appetizer of the day was Mahi cakes, served on a bed of arugula in a delicious dressing. For dinner I had mahi mahi tacos, fish was spicy and paired nicely with the light fruit salsa and seasoned black beans. My husband went with a burger and proclaimed it was the best burger he'd ever eaten which is saying something because he has eaten many!

Franklin, Tennessee
“Worth a morning walk.”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed just up the street from here while in Kona for a few days and started every morning with a 10 minute walk to grab a cup of coffee here. The staff was always pleasant, and espresso always good. It became a nice 'comfort element' for me while in town, and the one morning I stayed there and relaxed with my coffee there was actually some really pleasant live music. Lava Java was a win for me.