“Unfriendly staff. Completely unprofessional”
Review of Wasabi's Japanese Cuisine - CLOSED

Wasabi's Japanese Cuisine
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Visiting from maui...thought it would be nice to try a sushi restaurant close to our hotel. One of our kids didn't eat sushi so we brought some food to appease her. We understand certain places do not allow outside food but they didn't have a sign on their door so we politely asked if it was ok. The waitress was a complete a - hole and talked to us in a condescending way like we were ignorant tourist. All I wanted was a yes or no answer to a simple question. She snapped at us instead. We sat for a few minutes stewing whether or not we wanted to be served by someone with such a horrible disposition. We decided to leave but not before my little girl took a sip of water. As we exited. The waitress took the glass of water and threw it out in the bushes in our direction with a look of disgust on her face. I'm not surprised this establishment was empty in comparison to the other restaurants in the vicinity. I work as a manager in the food and beverage industry on maui. I can guarantee I will tell everyone to avoid this place. A word to the lady who was beyond rude to us...you need to change jobs because you suck at what you do.

1  Thank Jess J

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We had been told to try this place for several months by friends who live in the area.
When we arrived we waited while the owner argued with a customer (in Mandarin), cluing us into the fact that this wasn't really a Japanese restaurant.
When the lackadaisical waitress arrived, the service was indifferent. The food was meh and the atmosphere kind of quaint.
We tried a few appetizers and some sushi and special rolls. Nothing was very tasty or
worth another visit. The rolls were quite pricey and over goo-ed with sauces.
A real disappointment.

1  Thank dharmasurfer
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I really prefer writing good reviews..

All I can say, is you may be pretty disappointed with this one. Went for lunch. $80 for way less than we normally get at any of the 30 sushi restaurants in our home town. 2 adults, 2 (young) kids, no drinks. 80 bucks.

I understand that this is tourist-central and everything is hyper-price-jacked. Totally fine with that... just wish that the food had some flavour for that added price.

Have been in Kona 3 weeks and haven't had a bad dish yet... until now :(

Pass.

1  Thank thejerzeyturnpike
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I have access to better sushi in Chicago. It was a little on the expensive site but conveniently located in a small downtown area. I would recommend this place for lunch but don't expect a romantic dinner.

1  Thank RobynE333
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had trouble finding a place to eat one night due to crowds and the requirements of the group. We stopped here and they had room, outside. That was fine until the sky opened up and we found the outside area was not a lot of protection from the rain. They moved us inside and we had a fine meal. I was hoping for more "non-sushi" options but it is really mostly a sushi place. We found food to eat but it wasn't memorable expect for the rain.