“Extraordinary” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pahu ia Restaurant - CLOSED

Pahu ia Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Diego, California
“Extraordinary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This review is a bit overdue. My dream came true to visit this resort the last day of June this past summer for the Saturday Sand and Stars buffet. Our reservation wasn't until 8pm, but I called back to see if they could accommodate us sooner because we would be driving back late on the dark 2 highway back to Kona which we weren't too familiar with. We were told we could come and try our luck. The hostesses were very gracious and sat us rather quickly 2 hours early which was wonderful. We had the best seat in the house overlooking the gorgeous Pacific. It felt so surreal eating the grilled lobster tails, sushi, and the yummy desserts. They even had my favorite proseco, La Marca, which I didn't see as an option on the menu, but our server had it in her hand later on when she came to check on us. I was already enjoying a different drink so I didn't want to mix the two, but now I know for next time. Ever since we've been back home and it was my birthday, I felt no need to celebrate because that dinner was my birthday, Valentine's, anniversary, and much more rolled into that unforgettable evening at the Four Seasons Hualalai. My wish is to be able to return and stay at this resort and bring our kids to enjoy this buffet experience as well.

• Visited June 2012

“Magical wedding dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We luckily managed to get a reservation with only one day's notice prior to our wedding day thanks to Julia, the Maitre d'. We eloped at Kukio beach, which is next to the Four Seasons Resort. Looking for the perfect romantic dinner with a beach view, Pahuia was the ultimate answer to our wishes. Everyone there made us feel comfortable and important. At our table, which was located on the lanai, sat a beautiful orchid arrangement made especially for us. Celebratory champagne was brought out and we were given an extensive wine list via iPad. Our meals were exquisite-- a sushi sashimi combo and mahi mahi. The piece de resistance was a complimentary macadamia and chocolate lava flow dessert drizzled with "Ho'omaika'i'ano," the traditional Hawaiian congratulations. Staff really went out of their way to make our wedding night as memorable and special as possible.

While not an inexpensive dining experience, it is not exorbitant either and well worth the quality. Our meal was less expensive than a luau but with incredible scenery and intimacy.

The Four Seasons seems to be an establishment that 'gets it'. Even the attending bellhop who ferried us via golf cart from the restaurant through the sculpted villas, and on to the valet parking lot, delivered an eloquent soliloqy expounding on the topic "fomention of brand loyalty."

He sagely reasoned, "If we make our guests happy, provide an excellent experience, they will not forget. They will want to return. For anniversaries, for future events. They will return, their childrem will remember and want to return. We were solemnly impressed.

1 Thank Cheryl H
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“go there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

this place has the best food I have tasted on the Big Island. Service is excellent, location is right on the ocean. Best time to go is when you can watch the beautiful sunset.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank apollokalele
Volcano, Hawaii
“Wonderful cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Wine spectator best of award of excellence wine list-fabulous food and great service and a view of blue Pacific

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Kurt S
San Rafael, California
“Perfect evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed in Kona, but came to Pahu i'a for our last dinner on the island. What a fantastic decision. The weather was cloudy and even rainy in Kona, but clear and gorgeous just 15 miles north at the Four Seasons. Everyone treated us very well (mini-van and all), and we were seated right on the beach with last minute reservations (Tuesday night). The setting is magical, and the service is incredible. The food is delicious, with great options for people who like light but flavorful food. Well, it might have seemed light, but we were full to the point of bursting by the end. The damage to the wallet could have been worse, but it was a splurge even for people coming from the expensive San Francisco area. Well worth it, though. My Mai Tai was delicious, as was my husband's Lava Flow. The bread assortment was memorable (could not resist), and the abalone appetizer (local) was tender and delicious. My husband often orders lobster, and this was no exception. I always try a bite of his lobster, and up until this point I have just concluded that I'm not a fan of lobster. But this lobster (in a curry sauce) was tender and scrumptious. Interestingly, he thought it could have been better. I'm at a loss, because he can't explain his reasoning to my satisfaction. He thought the food was better at Roy's - I thought it was about the same or better at Pahu i'a (but the setting and service is far superior at Pahu i'a). I ordered the Grilled Onaga with a side of Mushroom Fried Rice (which was a very large portion, surprisingly). It was perfection, just like the Butterfish that I had at Roy's a couple night's before. We enjoyed the chocolate soufflé for dessert, which came with tasty ice cream and a vanilla creme anglaise. The check came with two nice surprise chunks of macadamia nut chocolate. Very delicious. We wandered the paths around the resort to work off a tiny portion of our food, and thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening. Oh, and valet parking is complimentary, even for mini vans!

• Visited July 2012