“Excellent food - no personality to the restuarant”

Kona Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 298 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I chose this restaurtant before heading to the airport to go home. Had reservations but really didn't need them for this superbowl Sunday. Most people were at sports bars. If you want window seating be sure to ask for it. We were only 1 table away from the ocean front windows and could see wonderfully. We both ordered separate dinner salads which were good size / good price, a variety of veggies and side dressing. I would have maybe expected to have the server do ground pepper over our plates.
My husband had Mahi Mahi and my Stuffed Ono with cajun spices - both were delicious - priced at Hawaiian market value. Good bread rolls. The server seemed a bit sullen when we declined to order drinks. This resturant presents it's self as an upscale dinner experience. The food met my expectations. The bit spendy price of the dinner and salads was just shy under $100. We had a very attentive server who timed our food well. There wasn't much personality / ambiance from the hostess or server.
Ask me about my trip, what did I like, what have I done that was fun. Ask me how many times we asked each other if we could move here? Have you ever had a very engaging doctor or nurse warm your heart, make you laugh. You might forget their names or what they said but you never forget how they made you feel. I'm an RN of 36 years - it's all in the bedside manner.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Kona Inn Restaurant is such a spectacular restaurant, the setting with it's tropical atmosphere, sweeping lawn, and
majestic sunsets out front make it such a magical place to have dinner while in Kona, Hawaii.
The 4 of us dined there recently, the service was very prompt the food was very good, the prices were a little on the
expensive side, but for a special evening out, this is the place to go.
Located right in downtown Kona, makes it very accessible. I had the shrimp scampi and thought it was delicious!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The view is the only good thing about restaurant. We couldn't see the water from our table, so we really didn't have a view. I got a small plate of fish and chips for $18. It came with French fries and slaw. The fish and French fries were good. I wasn't impressed with the slaw. I wouldn't recommend it or go there again.

1  Thank SJSkene
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Ate in the cafe. Haven't had such bad food in a long time. Overpriced and tasteless. Waitress clearly was not having a good night. Maybe the restaurant side was better, but I would not be interested in spending even more money to find out.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

All the food was great but our server was weak. He brought the wrong drink for my husband and then the wrong dinner. Each were corrected but that had to be done. We had one server and then were past to the weak one. The Ceasar Salad with calamari is a wonderful dinner. The Ono fish was a little over cooked.

1  Thank MossGlen