“Awesome view to go with your Mai Tai!”

Kona Inn Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 285 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome view to go with your Mai Tai!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We went at 6:30 to this open air restaurant on the beach. We were in time to snap pics of a great sunset which were taken a few steps down onto the grassy lawn. Superb! The MaiTais are a must. We had shrimp cocktail, a steak sandwich, an excellent club sandwich, and a rack of ribs with a smooth, sweet, and spicy sauce. I had the combo scampi and calamari steak. Wow. Calamari was cooked perfectly, the scampi was in an excellent garlic butter. Plenty of food/portions for our party of five. A must do restaurant to see the sunset.

• Visited August 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Relax almost on the water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a great place to enjoy good food in a great environment. There are two sides for eating. the left side facing the water or the right side. We always eat the right side which is more casual and less expensive.

• Visited May 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“It was okay, probably deserves another chance......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Not sure what the history is behind the Kona Inn. To look at the backside of the building - it appears it could have been a hotel at one point. Unsure. Anyway - now it's an open air marketplace / mall focused on art, beach accessories and so forth. And in the back is the Kona Inn Restaurant. What's kind of interesting is that they have the "formal dining side" and the "grill side."

We opted for the fine dining and based on the decor - "formal" was a bit of a stretch. The place was dated. No matter - the view overlooked the water and made up for a need to renovate. Also, if you have kids, a huge grassy area between the water and building was a great place for kids to run, run, run - which the restaurant encourages.

I ordered the fish & chips and my wife ordered a steak. Both were okay, but just okay. HOWEVER, I think we both screwed up. The menu offered a huge selection of fresh fish and I would bet that to be the restaurant's specialty. I should have paid more attention to the menu and my server. So even though my experience was a "3" rating - I gave the Kona Inn a "4" because I think there is more to this place than I experienced.

By the way, the service was outstanding. Also - if I was looking for a place to stop in for a drink - the bar looked nice and also had great views.

• Visited July 2013
Victoria
“Upscale Dining by the Sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Accommodating reception and agreeable table service, excellent fish - calamari, mahi-mahi, and wahoo - and delightful tropical ambience in downtown Kailua-Kona. No disappointments.

Visited July 2013
Stanley, North Carolina, United States
“Really uneven”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

The service was great, the food was hit and miss. My wife had the fish and chips, and they were great. One person had the sirloin and it was good. However, the Seafood Cobb was underwhelming. It had 4 pieces of shrimp right out of the can, which were very small, and 8 bay scallops which were rubbery and overcooked. The Seafood platter was similarly overcooked, and was a very small portion. I had tomatoes with onions and balsamic. Three small slices of tomato and three slabs of onion wasn't my idea of good food. I also ordered the garlic bread, which was store bought. What a disappointment.

Great location, nice environment, lackluster food.

Visited July 2013