“Eat in the grill, do not be in a hurry.”

Kona Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 295 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We opted to eat in the grill/ bar section. Glad we did as we found out that an entree of the fish of the day in the dining room would have been $39.00, but the same fish in an open sandwich in the grill was only $20.00. The fresh ahi tuna sandwich was great. I also enjoyed my coconut shrimp. They do serve the meals on such small plates which was odd. Our friends had the seafood Cobb salad and it was a bit disappointing. The shrimp and scallops were very small. They loved the Kona coffee ice cream Mudpie though. Enough for three people! The service is a bit slow but friendly. Oceanfront but eating area a bit crowded. Aloha!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by a local in Kona. I agree with the other reviews, it has a beautiful view and the food was good, BUT, the service we received was poor, at best. The kids ordered sprite but were served soda water, our meals came with the sides all mixed up and to make matters worse, 3 of our meals came AFTER the rest of us were finished eating!!! I've never had a worse experience. To top it off, I personally went to the bar area for refills as our waitress never stopped at our table unless it was to inform us of a mistake. I feel for her, she told us she was having an "off day" and then had an attitude with my mom when my mom complained about the delay in our meals but I know the customer comes first, especially in the service industry. The management didn't offer any type of compensation, not even an apology!! NEVER again...BIG disappointment.

1  Thank Unbelizeable13
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Direct view on the sea:amazing place to view the sunset.
Extensive fish and steak menu.
Very expensive however,you are paying for the view.
The chicken was better than the fish ; the Macnut fish and stuffed ono were overwhelmed by sauce
The cocktails are not good stick with the wine.
The dessert list is limited I would recommend the macnut pie

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My friend and I got Fish n' Chips & Coconut Shrimp in the cafe. It was pretty pricy for what it actually was but very delicious. Service was good, we were in the sun all day and didn't really want to drink and at first the waitress was kind of annoyed with s with just water but when we told her about our sun burns she understood. All and all good food and good service.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

For a special dinner in the Kona area, consider the Kona Inn Restaurant on Alii Drive. Go before sunset for an awesome natural show! I had the fish special, I believe it was Ono (really excellent) but a bit high priced. The waiter was great, the ambiance was beautiful and overall it was worth the price we paid for the experience.