“It's been a year -- and the food's still great!”
Review of Big Island Grill

Big Island Grill
Ranked #14 of 288 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Honolulu
“It's been a year -- and the food's still great!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Haven't been back to Kailua-Kona for a year but after our quick flight from Honolulu -- we were famished. Instead of heading out to the resort for an overpriced mediocre breakfast -- we drove into Kailua-Kona to the Big Island Grill. What a great place for breakfast (served till 10:30 am); Pork chops and eggs or try the chicken katsu locotra moco. Chicken katsu is a deep fried chicken thigh breaded in panko -- crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Take that, plop it over a bed of rice (I had brown rice) and their fabulous brown gravy and a perfectly cooked fried egg and you're halfway to heaven. You can choose your loco moco protein at the Big Island Grill -- traditional hamburger patty, spam, Portuguese sausage, other stuff. Can't make up your mind? Get the BIG loco -- and choose three. My wife ordered the pork chops and eggs -- two perfectly cooked porkchops, eggs, hashbrowns. And the server, kindly asked if she'd like some gravy too!. Good service, lots of locals, kid friendly, just a great place to eat whether you're visiting Kona for the first time or a repeat traveler like me. It's one my go to places on the Big Island.

• Korean first
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Hearty portions and everything so tasty”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Location is popular with the locals and for good reason. Food was very affordable. Portions were huge and everything was finger-licking good.

Klickitat, Washington
“Big Island Grill bring Big Island Appetite”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Great place for Island food. Generous portions at a very fair price. Filling and tasty after a hard days playing. Have eaten there several times in the past and it never disappoints. Atmosphere is very family oriented with local families and friends often sharing large tables. Definitely a locals place with casual attire - we were the only anglos in the place this last trip but felt very welcome as always. Aloha is abundant here! Had the managers plate - choice of two out of 12 entrees to share the plate. I went with Kalua Pork and a beef with vegies dish. My son had Katsu Chicken and Kalua Pork. Will go again nice trip.

• Visited August 2012
Denver, CO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service, average food”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Big Island Grill had plenty of seating so there was no wait. My husband and I both got the fish and chips. When they brought out the food, our fish was hot and tasty but the sides of fries and mashed potatoes were brought out cold. My husband got a bowl of Saimin which he enjoyed, but I didn't really like. Food was brought out fast and the waiter was very friendly.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Great local fare at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Got home from a day of hiking and decided to try out Big Island Grill's loco moco. Wow! Very local place. I'm not sure about the loco moco, though. We shared the super(?) with 3 scoops rice, a hamburger pattie, fried shrimp, and chicken katsu. Brown gravy all over the too and two over easy eggs on top. I ordered a side of their potato mac salad. The whole thing was just too much and too rich for our taste. We plan to go back for the mud pie dessert after we eat our usual dinner of fish and salad at home. My guess is, though, as far as loco moco goes, this is some of the best and we're glad we tried it. Great service and friendly folks all around.

1 Thank Bips