“Seafood buffet has great food, lousy service”

Honu's on the Beach Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Honu's on the Beach Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 299 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Honu's on the Beach Restaurant features the most spectacular Breakfast Buffet with fresh island fruits, bakery items and breakfast basics enhanced by our famed "Live Omelet and Waffle Station". Ala carte menu available. We welcome you in joining Executive Chef Roy Basilio & our entire Honu's team with our newest "Farm to Table" menu. (Cuisine selections available Sunday to Thursday). On Friday and Saturday evenings we feature our famed Prime Rib and Seafood Buffet with a raw bar, appetizers, salads, specialty entrees and of course our "Slowed Roasted Prime Rib Au Jus and Steamed Snow Crab Legs". Join us for Sushi & live music, Sunday through Thursday evenings, 5:30pm - 8:30pm. Happy Hour daily at Billfish Bar, 20% off Pupus, drink specials, 5:30pm to 6:30pm.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had trouble finding this on Trip Advisory. I'm reviewing the restaurant in the King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel.
This long time fixture in Kona, Hawaii has a Seafood Buffet on Friday and Saturday nights. A bit pricey at $40 in February, 2013 but worth it if you like seafood and meat. Vegetarians, don’t bother. Not worth the price. I’m a vegetarian who does eat fish so I enjoyed it. Theoretically it’s open until 9pm but they ran out of some dishes by 7pm and the desserts were depleted as well so get their early. Drinks are extra but not too expensive. They did NOT run out of shrimp or crab legs so eat all you want.
While the food is good, the service is not. It takes a while to get the attention of a wait staff. Foods that COULD include meat are not labeled. I had to ask about the clam chowder and the egg rolls (both did have meat). It wouldn’t take much to put up a sign. I’ve complained about this before and they don’t seem to care. They do clean your used plates away fairly quickly but they take the silverware as well and don’t bring new. We had to ask twice. They do give you the little pliers with the crab legs but not the small forks. They were destroyed in the tsunami eight months ago. When we were there last July they said they would be replaced but seven months later, still no little forks.
So go for the huge amounts of good seafood and meat; get their early; and be prepared to do a little self service.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Not a great variety on the menu. They claim a full salad bar which I suppose for Hawaii was an OK one but nothing like we are used to on the mainland. Chose other places for additional meals.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Honu's was a wonderful breakfast restaurant where our daily breakfast buffet was complimentary as part of a package deal we had with priceline. Service was impeccable and you can tell the men and women working there knew what hardworking was like.

All 3 mornings we decided to try the breakfast buffet since it was complimentary as part of our stay. Fresh made to order omelettes, mini belgian waffles, hot bacon, sausages, home fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, fried rice, white rice, miso soup, large selection of tropical fruit, yogurts, breads, pastries, toast, bagels, muffins, guava juice, orange juice, and hot coffee.

Food was delicious. The open air restaurant however has TOO MANY FLIES !!! which hover over the buffet area, such as along the pour spout for the syrup, and the tongs used to serve the pineapple slices. Flies would congreate along the servingware and you'd have to shoo away flies from the serving spoon before you can use it to scoop up some sausages.

They really need a blue bug light that will attract the flies, zap them dead, and then collect them. We have them here in the mainland all along restaurants, delis, and call them bug zappers.

Best part was on the way out they had a setup where you could pour yourself a cup of coffee in a takeout cup and lid and this would be your coffee on the go.

Overall I enjoyed Honu's, only if it weren't for the many bugs !!!

1  Thank RGb747
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Breakfast was outstanding. Honu’s, located at the Courtyard King Kamehameha, is facing the beach, and you can eat inside or outside. The tranquil setting is breathtaking, looking at the waterfront and the mountains. The service was exceptional and the restaurant was spotless.

I ordered the Healthy Start, which consisted of lots of fresh fruit, yogurt and a huge bowl of granola and a glass of milk. My husband ordered 222 (2 pancakes, 2 eggs and 2 sausages), and also ordered a fruit bowl. Everything was beautifully served. They also offer an exceptional breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel has been reconditioned and the restaurant, Honu's, is a very good place to have a bite. I had breakfast and sat outside on the patio. I've been here three days and it was time to have my "Moco Loco." It's a favorite in the islands. A burger patty on rice, with a couple of fried eggs covered with brown gravy. Add a cup of Kona coffee and I was ready for some sightseeing. NIce, friendly service too.