“Dollar bills/ocean view/good food”

The Frisky Seal Surf Pub & Beach BBQ
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The upstairs location affords a good view if one ignores the power lines. Good food but is just average fare. Signed dollar bills everywhere. Several blew down while we were there and I never know whether to give them to the staff or tip with them:-).

Reviewed April 27, 2013

So walking up the stairs to this place my first exposure to anything was three guys sitting near the entrance yelling and screaming at each other about who didn't pay their $20 to help with the meal. I happen to be a fan of profanity, but not when you feel like it's about to lead to a fight in a place you just want to grab some lunch. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if it hadn't just continued even while I grabbed a seat. No one on the staff went over to solve this problem, even though an employee was sitting at the table next to me hanging out with his own friends with their colorful conversation. I don't think this guy was working at the time, but he was wearing a staff shirt. So I sat and got some food and a couple drinks, watched the game, kind of waiting for someone to break a pool cue over my head too. My waitress was really good, and the view is fantastic. Wouldn't take friends or family here though.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Lulu's Kailua-Kona, a legend. I understand they have recently been bought by Humpy's. The interior seems a bit better these days. Definitely cleaner and more organized. Still quite a few dollar bills around. I even saw the Humpy's manager cruising around the premise. On Tuesday they feature "taco Tuesday" specials. Many different kinds of tacos with a separate fixins bar that includes a bunch of fresh toppings, plus a huge selection of both fresh and bottled hot sauces/salsas. I had grilled Mahi, Shrimp, and Carne Asada tacos, wife opted for a nacho plate. Both pretty good, however I would say that Nacho's are better at Humpy's. All draft beers at happy hour prices, $3. Margs, and some mixed drinks are $5. Not upscale dinning but for what it is, we enjoyed it and will go back. Nice view of the bay, although a bit obstructed by power poles/cables.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Make sure to see the photos of celebs who have partied at Lulu's - impressive. Try the coconut shrimp - delicious. If you go for breakfast you might see dolphins in the bay.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

No trip to Kona would be complete without having lunch or dinner at Lulu's. It is located on the second floor of a building across from Kailua Bay. You can't miss it. The view of Kailua Bay and Ali'i Drive are worth the visit. The entire restaurant is covered in currency. Our waitress told us there is probably over $2 million stapled to the walls, columns, and ceiling for the restaurant. Lulu's is a fun atmosphere and the patrons and staff show it!!! The portions of food are large and the drinks the same size. While enjoying the food, drinks, atmosphere, and views you almost feel guilty because below on the street you will see marathon runner and bicyclists practicing for the World's Ironman Triathlon held in Kona every fall. Many athletes live here year round and workout daily. If you can, stay until sunset or run over to the beach in front of the Kona Inn for a sunset you will never forget. Lulu's is one of our favorites place anywhere.