“Maybe you should eat somewhere else.”

Pancho & Lefty's Cantina
Ranked #82 of 292 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I normally don't write bad reviews (even if the restaurant was bad), because I've had over a decades worth of experience in the restaurant and tourism industry. I know that there are off nights, but man did I feel like the waiter pulled a quick one over on us. Our happy hour margaritas tasted like "soap?", okay they were not good (maybe a newbie bartender? maybe just really bad margarita mix? who knows), so we apologized and sent them back. Since 3 out of the 5 of us all have restaurant experience we tried to be as nice as possible (fearing what happens in the movie Waiting), but our waiter barely seemed phased by it (lack of no personality) and was pretty attentive (still doesn't make up for lack of personality). So we replaced our happy hour margaritas with happy hour beers... that we later find out were not happy hour beers but we had been upgraded to pint sized draft beers and charged the same. Couldn't the waiter have specified with us? I mean we did use the Happy Hour Menu to see which beers were on there. I'm sorry, but having an attentive staff does not make up for genuineness or integrity. I'm embarrassed to see restaurants/business such as this, take advantage of "one-time visit tourists" (we are all residents of Hawaii). I have to say one good thing though, the our way tacos were pretty good, as was the super spicy salsa. Mahalo for another bad Kona tourist trap experience. We were hoping you weren't like the others.

1  Thank surfbaby

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We have been coming to Kona for years and eaten in many restaurants in Kona and around the island. This was absolutely the worst meal we have eaten here! Food was not tasty and had strange tomato sauce on it. Service was just average even with very few customers (and we now know why so few customers).

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Pancho and Leftys Review – April 21, 2014
We arrived by tender off of the Carnival Miracle and did a walk along the Alii Drive. Since we were hot and tired we stopped at Pancho and Lefty’s for a beer. There was no room on the outside by the fresh air so the waiter said if we bought lunch we could sit in the other end of the restaurant by the outside.
It was close to lunch time so we decided to share a meal.
We were asked if we wanted water so we said yes and he proceeded to pour one glass and we noticed the other glass was dirty so he took it away and I presume he washed it and brought it back. We ordered a couple of draft beers that were on the menu for $2.25. The waitress brought us a couple bottles of beer and we told her we had ordered draft. We got a dirty look and she went away and eventually brought us a couple of drafts and an order of fish Tacos which we shared. It was not very good but we were hungry and ate it. When the bill came I noticed were charged for two bottles of beer at $4.50 each instead of two glasses of draft. When I pointed it out to the waitress, she asked the manager lady and the reply was that the $2.25 draft was only for happy hour and that the price for draft was the same as for a bottle. Since I had not noticed the information about Happy Hour, we paid the bill and on the way out I saw that draft was listed on the menu at $3.00 regular price so the manager lady scammed us for $3.00 plus tax; which will not break us; but it is the principle.
Avoid Pancho and Lefty’s if you are in Kona. The food was barely adequate and they will rip you off if you give them half a chance. In case this may be a franchise, we will never eat at any Pancho and Lefty’s anywhere because of this experience.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We would have eaten here if the hostess wasn't so rude. There's not much more that I can say about this place because her attitude was such that we wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

1  Thank Mona67
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Having not come here for breakfast after a number of lunches and dinners, thought it was time to check it out. Was a cruise ship day, so lots of people watching on Ali'i Drive. We are not big eaters and it had been a long time since I had "Pigs in a Blanket", but there they were on the menu just asking to be tried. Fluffy pancake and being in Kona, ordered coconut syrup. They also have papaya which is a must at our house every day. Egg was also cooked to order and of course Kona coffee. They have validated parking, so check it out!!
Also, can see the ocean from most tables and the palace is across the street.
Won't be the last tme for breakfast.