“Second to none”

Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 288 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Queen Ka'ahumanu Hwy
Description: ‘ULU Ocean Grill & Sushi Lounge is the breathtaking new oceanfront fish and seafood restaurant at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, where Executive Chef James Babian’s acclaimed “R.S.A. - Regional, Seasonal and Artisanal” cuisine is served in Hawaii’s most beautiful setting - alongside the surf and under the stars. The restaurant showcases a stylish blend of Hawaiian architecture and modern flair - a lively, informal setting where guests are inspired, surprised and delighted by the Hawaii’s beauty and the flavors of the Pacific, through an innovative menu with playful tableside presentation. Cuisine is prepared oven roasted, flame grilled and wok fired, while an extensive wine list, with a special selection of boutique wines is presented via iPad. The modern sushi lounge and ocean view bar feature the Island's freshest sushi, as well as craft cocktails, sake and Japanese beers. Casual, friendly and knowledgeable servers guide guests through a social dining experience not to be forgotten.
Grosse Ile, Michigan
“Second to none”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Wow. You will not top this setting anywhere. Beautiful view of the Pacific, close enough to hear the surf. This restaurant is on the grounds of the four seasons. If you do decide the visit, the first question you will ask yourself is "why aren't we staying here?". Very quiet, and quaint little villa type grounds. Golf cart service to your room. We got a little lost with our gps on the grounds. Follow the signs. Reservations seem to be a must, however, you can order a meal from the lounge area and in our opinion it had more comfortable seating and equal view. Watching the sunset is a real event here and this restaurant has the perfect location. Steph took care of us here and was very quick and professional. I am not a fan of sushi and the menu contains plenty for the non-sushi lover. I had the "sampler" meal which consisted of half portions of many of the menu items. Delicious. Don't miss the bread fruit chips. Very interesting. My wife had a local island fish and enjoyed it immensely. This a pricey place but provides good value when you factor in the quality, view, and service. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
“Phenominal!!!!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I thought this restaurant was amazing! We were seated beach side and had a beautiful view of the ocean, sunset, and when the outside torches were lit. We did the tasting menu and, though pricey, I would highly recommend it. All the food was excellent, high quality and artfully prepared. This was one of the best meals I've had in a long time and I would enthusiastically recommend it to any foodie who is visiting this part of the island.

• Visited March 2013
London
“Great Sushi and Cocktails”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great service great food and great cocktails. The setting by the beach is perfect and great for watching the sunset.

Visited March 2013
“Unattentive Service”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We looked forward to dining at this spot. We got bad vibes when no water appeared for five minutes. No server for 10. I the turned on the stop watch on my phone. After he said hi and took our drink orders, he did not re emerge from somewhere better for 15 minutes. Where were you? Just waiting to serve you sir Ugh!
The atmosphere was alright. The meal preparation was good. It took almost 3 hours to get out of dodge and that was two courses. Good Luck!

Sacramento, California
“Good, but I expected better”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Yes, the location is amazing. You have wonderful ocean views and if you time it right, you can have dinner when watching the sun set (as long as it's not cloudy). Yes, you can eat here even if you are not staying here. Make a reservation though. There is free parking and the good thing is that you can walk on the beach after dinner and explore the grounds. We had a moonlit walk on the beach. Pretty neat that there were sea turtles resting (do not disturb). Anyway, back to the review.... We did the prix fixe tasting menu which was $65 per person. I was pleased to hear that a lot of the items on the menu are locally sourced from the Big Island. An extra point for that. The food was good, but for being a Four Seasons resort and one of the top-rated restaurants on the island, I expected so much more. I expected to be blown away with fresh food and in this aspect, I was disappointed. I had better Kona-coffee crusted steak elsewhere in the continental US. It was good, but not great. Ok fine I thought, maybe they'll wow me with their fish. This is Hawaii after all. Well, I had a portion of my boyfriend's fish. It just didn't taste as wonderful as I had hoped, possibly even overcooked. And the amount of food was ok. It was enough to satisfy me, but I definitely could have eaten more. And my boyfriend was still a little hungry (admittedly, he is a very hearty eater). The service was very attentive at first, but when it got busy, it took longer and longer to get the attention of our waitress. *sigh* Overall, the view was amazing, but the food and the service for what we paid was not mind-blowing and the value isn't there for me. Maybe I had too high of expectations. But looking back, I would probably rather spend the money here on a few other restaurants on Hawaii that are less expensive with better and fresher food. The last time I ate at the Four Seasons at Hualalai a few years back was absolutely amazing and this did not compare to what I experienced previously.

• Visited March 2013