“Catchin' Toads!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cherry Pit Sportfishing

Cherry Pit Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Cherry Pit is a 32' Force built in Hawaii for Hawaii waters. Bought in 2016, Cherry Pit is a major upgrade from our original boat. Owned and operated by Capt. Bobby Cherry. With a lifetime of experience Capt. Bobby knows the waters off the Kona coast as good as anyone. Here's a typical day on the Cherry Pit... start the day by catching bait, 10-20 opelu (mackerel) then we'll put the lures out and troll for Marlin, Ahi, Mahi-mahi and Ono while we keep our eyes peeled for Ahi schools and Mahi-mahi schools. That's when we start using our live bait, which will greatly increase our chances of catching these fish. Once we've caught our share we'll put the lures back out and troll home.
Newberg, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Catchin' Toads!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I booked a 3/4 day trip with Bobby in May, but found out that the big Ahi were out a ways, so we changed it to a full day. By 6:30am, my wife had a 38lb Ono in the boat. We trolled to the bait grounds where we caught 10 Mackerl for bait. We then trolled until we found the porpoise pods where the big Ahi were hanging. Bobby worked his tail off to keep us in the porpoise pod, fishing the live bait very slowly. Within an hour, we hooked a toad of an Ahi. It weighed in at 127lbs! We made a few more runs with the porpoise and had another bite, but didn't hook up. It was time to head back in, so we threw the plugs back out, and within an hour, my life landed her second Ono...Another big fish at 32lbs!

We got back to the dock and Bobby cut up an Ono and gave it to my wife and I to eat with our friends on the Island. He also gave us some fresh Ahi to eat as well! You don't find many captains willing to share the catch like he does!

I have fished in Hawaii 4 times now, and I have never had a captain work as hard as Bobby to get us fish, and have never had a captain with such a great attitude. It was the best part of a two week vacation.

I cannot put into words what a great experience this was, and how grateful I am that I discovered him on Tripadvisor.

If you want a great experiece, fish with Bobby. Period.

2 Thank Scott C

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fish of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The difficult part was convincing my wife to go fishing with me (and having her survive the seasickness). The easy part turned out to be Bobby putting us on the fish. I had opted for a full day charter when we took off at 6AM, but we caught 2 large Ahi by 11AM, as well as a Wahoo while trolling. Great prices, friendly and knowledgeable captain who was willing to teach this newbie, and the boat all to ourselves... what else can you ask for? Thanks again Bobby for the experience of a lifetime, and rest assured the tuna made it home and was enjoyed by many friends and family. When I am back on the Big Island, I will definitely fish on the Cherry Pit II again!

1 Thank csirtere
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Make this a first stop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We loved our day fishing with Bobby. We chose his full day option which was 1/2 the price of some of the other charters as we had the boat to ourselves.

Bobby was great! He knew how to fish the area and we all know that catching isn't guaranteed we felt confident that we wouldn't get skunked. In the end we managed to catch 5 20+ pound tuna and one Ono.

Certainly a good day as far as we were concerned. He also made sure we saw the pilot whales near the boat and all of the dolphins catching flying fish as we trolled.

All in all it was money well spent for a great day of fishing.

The reason I say go early during your trip is that he gave us more than enough fish to feed us for 4 days!

I can't recommend this fishing charter enough. He just did a great job!

1 Thank CPritzl
Glace Bay, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fishing in kona with bobby cherry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Early start to a great day fishing with bobby cherry we caught 2 mahi mahi and one ono my lucky brother caught all 3 .All i all i would highly recommend a trip with bobby he was the best deep sea experience for me His price is also unbeatable and he knows his fishing enjoy:

Visited April 2013
1 Thank caper06
Oak Harbor, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Real Deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a Great time fishing with Captain Bobby Cherry. We went for a full day and loved every minute. I have fished my whole life and it was obvious that he has as well. He got us into beautiful live bait right away and into many fish before returning home. I will book again with him next time I am in Kona. He is the Real Deal

Visited April 2013