“Crew did their best”
Review of Kamanu Charters

Kamanu Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Kamanu Charters has two boats our real sailing boat Kamanu catamaran offers snorkel sails and dolphin swims and manta night trips and sunset sails.Our state of the art raft Kamanu Elua has forward padded bench seating and is a fast exciting trip,we offer dolphin swims and go to captain cook after dolphin swim and night manta trips.Whale watches are offered on both boats from Dec to April.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is my second review of Kamanu, the first in Aug 2011. We took the manta tour and invited our daughter who was visiting us. Serious South swell was kicking up the ocean and some wind made the trip a bit bumpy for some, I loved it on the front of the catamaran. This condition alone made the manta site very tricky. Captain was Chris, mate Ariel, and Cindy were the entire crew. The mantas didn't show up and people were completely rude to the crew. People, the mantas are wild animals. We are there to see them, they aren't there to see us! Anyway, Ariel had the worst of it I think. She had half the people on her surf board not kicking, so she had to drag them. Then she had the know it all trying to tell her where to go and what to do. I think because she is younger they felt it was ok to be rude. I mean, do these guides go to your job and tell you how to do it? Then the ready for the wheelchair guy asking if we were being controlled by a wegi board. The crew did their best to find the mantas, entertain their guests, and make sure they were safe in rough seas. The next day I called Kamanu and they were happy to reschedule something for us. Unfortunately we had to leave the Kona area but we'll be back for July again next year and we took a gift certificate instead. Great people and a great outfit. Its incredible to see how professional the crew is even when people who can't swim sign up for a trip in the Pacific Ocean.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Set sail on Friday July 12th in the morning for the Dolphin swim. All we did was follow other boats around, the last ones to arrive at every site and we did a lot of circles. The captain didn't answer any of our questions about the surrounding ocean area ( our husbands are divers and lots of questions) but did talk about his rental house, the first mate Heidi was more interested in eating her chicken and serving beer. Also when we were in the water with other tour boats it was dangerous because we had to constantly be on the lookout so we didn't get hit by a boat and the dolphins we did see swam away quickly and felt threatened due to the way the boats surrounded the pod. The big turn off was how the captain and first mate kept saying, we have to get back to the harbor for our afternoon trip. They started this 45 minutes into our trip. Worst 700 dollars we ever spent!!!

1  Thank CKH4221
jbsail, Owner at Kamanu Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for your response ,we are very sorry for your experience on Kamanu ,as you can see from previous comments this is not a common complaint. We would like you to know we address all compliments and complaints with our staff accordingly .We invite you to please give us a call owners John and Beth 808 987 0901 ( personal cell #) so we can offer a solution . We appreciate all comments thank you John and Beth owners Kamanu

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Kamanu has a friendly, knowledgeable staff who make you feel comfortable about the night snorkel and the animals you're in the water with. They give detailed instruction about the entire event and explain the manta rays in a calm demeanor to ease any nervousness. Nobody on the catamaran experienced any seasickness, there is a (tiny) bathroom on board, they offer snacks & drinks (water/soda/beer/wine); they provide wetsuits, flippers, snorkels & masks. We took our 11yo twins and didn't have any worry. We all enjoyed it thoroughly & would do it again. We definitely recommend this excursion!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I flew in from the Mainland, with a 8 hour layover in Honolulu. When I arrived in Kona, I was fried, I changed into my suit and within two hours of my arrival I was on the Kamanu Catamaran swimming with dolphins.
I had a wonderful day swimming and sailing.
The crew was knowledgeable and fun. The first mate Cindy went out of her way to make sure everyone had a great time. Her outgoing personality and her great sense of humor added to the experience.
I plan to return to Kona in December and I look forward to another day with Kamanu!
Thank you Captain John and Beth...

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was a great experience. We did have to go a ways to find the dolphins but the crew was knowledgeable and experienced. Once the dolphins were located we "leap frogged" three times, each time we got better at swimming along with the dolphins. On one jump we also say a manta ray swimming toward the bottom. The water was warm and clear. The crew was concerned with our safety and provided flotation if needed. On our return trip we were entertained by a dolphin who circled our boat twice, doing flips and turns. The crew said they had never seen a dolphin do that before. Turned out he had a remora on his chest that he was trying to dislodge. Highly recommend this adventure.