“Night Manta Snorkling -- the BEST!”
Review of Kamanu Charters

Kamanu Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Kamanu Charters has two boats our real sailing boat Kamanu catamaran offers snorkel sails and dolphin swims and manta night trips and sunset sails.Our state of the art raft Kamanu Elua has forward padded bench seating and is a fast exciting trip,we offer dolphin swims and go to captain cook after dolphin swim and night manta trips.Whale watches are offered on both boats from Dec to April.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Kamanu Catamaran Manta Ray Night Snorkling was AWESOME!!! I think it is the only Manta boat that is a cat. They serve complementary water, cocoa, beer, wine, sodas, and snacks (pretzles/fruit, nothing that would be considered "dinner", however). Max of 22 people, out for sunset, departs the big harbor by the airport (not the small one in town) about 4:30, returns from the north-of-the-airport manta spot (not the Kona hotel spot) about 9PM.

Manta Rays are in the shark family -- BUT -- they have no teeth nor do they have a stinger like the Sting Rays so they cannot hurt you. We were at Sting Ray city years ago and this is WAAAY better!

I think it was better laying atop the water watching these 12 ft wide critters coming within inches of you, to feed on the plankton. Some companies do SCUBA. We do both snorkling and SCUBA and I think the snorkling would be my preference for viewing the Mantas -- at least it was awesome the night we were there. About 10 people in snorkle gear gather around a surf-board sized floating device that has lights that shine down into the water, attracting the plankton, attracting the mantas. We are told to stay holding on to the board, floating flat on the water (no dangling feet!) so that the rays can circle right below us. We saw 6 of the rays at one time! It's clever -- each boat has its customers use a different color light attached to our snorkle mask -- so we were the yellow group, some other boat might have been green lights, another blue, etc.

Be advised -- if you are prone to getting seasick, take your dramamine. The boat ride was fine but the water was choppy enough that nigth that at least one person became ill.

This is the best thing I think we have done on the Big Island! It was soooo beautiful and graceful.

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

To be able to go out an swim with the dolphins and mana rays in there environment was amazing I lost a deposit with another company to go on this tour it was worth loosing my deposit. The crew was knowledgable and nice and very helpful . I do believe it was a little expensive but worth it.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Back again for a morning snorkel trip on the Kamanu. We love this boat because of its small size-usually no more than 15 or so on board. The Captain and Crew are very knowledgeable, friendly and experienced. The day was brilliantly blue with the clearest skies we had the entire two weeks in Kona. We could see that it had snowed on Mauna Loa. Amazing. The sea was calm, the water was crystal clear and the fish were beautiful. The Capt decided to take us south all the way down the coast past Kailua-Kona while we enjoyed the very nice lunch they provided after we finished snorkeling and then sail back to the harbor. All in all this was a snorkel trip that I didn't want to end.

1  Thank GoingToAll1000
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Three of us sailed to catch sight of the Mantas. We chose Kamanu for the experience of a catamaran. The evening was perfect, waters were relatively calm going out to the snorkel sight. There we several other boats in the area and many divers and snorkels. But it did not seem crowded. At sunset we headed into the water and like magic the Manta Rays began to appear. A few at first and then they were all there were many, up to twelve or more. Beyond our expectations. It was like an underwater ballet. They swam within inches of use, but because of the good pre water briefing we knew what to expect and were not fearful. These are amazing creatures and remind us of the importance of our waters. The crew. We're helpful, instructive and made sure we all had a good experience. The equipment was all good, I did not bring my own. My daughter (16) enjoyed the experience. I know it will last her a lifetime. This is a must do on the big island, and this charter did not disappoint.

1  Thank Sparkie2003
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We go on this boat at least 2 or 3 times when we are in Hawaii. They wilkl do all they can to make your trip an incredible experience. Heidi and Daniel and Kelly provided us with a fabulous experience every time we went out. They will chase down whales and dolphins for your experience of a lifetime.
They are the best.