“Great Resort in Great Location”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I really don't have too much negative to say about this facility. The room, service and ammenities were generally good and the pricing was quite reasonable. It is located very near to a popular Kona beach with snorkeling, surfing, turtle watching, and other activities, and is very close to a local mall with a number of shops and restaurants.

I will say that the games in the games room (pool, fooseball, table tennis) were all quite old and in need or repair or replacement. None of the pool ques even had tips on them anymore and the ping pong table net was torn and the paddles were all plastic (no rubber face). Given the scale of the resort, and the minor cost of a couple of new pool ques, ping pong table, etc., I'm very surprised that they wouldn't just replace this stuff but I guess it's mostly kids who go in there.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rantech
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Aloha Rantech,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide this valuable insight. I've noted these comments about the recreational areas and will be sure to take this up with our cultural and activities management. Should you have any additional concerns, please feel free to email me directly at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com

Katie Vanes, PR Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,803)

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Retro hawaiian hotel (old Kona Surf) with a good location. Definitely need car. Rooms clean, beds comfy. We had five and the suite worked well. Very nice roll out beds. Good view for oceanfront. Platinum Starwood benefits used including valet parking, half price cabana rental, 15% off food, free continental brekkie (or just $8 for full buffet). Have to admit, those items made me feel special. Quick massage outdoors was a first and lovely masseuse. Dinner overlooking beach/harbor had good food (poké great), breeze, view and music. All staff kind and accommodating. Nothing high end but all good and serviceable.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank upintheairmom
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Aloha upintheairmom,

Thank you so much for providing your valuable feedback on your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you were able to access great benefits as a Platinum Starwood member and that you enjoyed our newly revitalized menu at Rays on the Bay!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Keauhou for a weekend trip in July. Great family friendly hotel. The pool was large with a small slide, two separate sections, a sandy area for smaller children, two hot tubs, and a large slide - the kids swam for the entire day.
Food at the restaurant was good (breakfast, lunch, dinner). The restaurant/bar "Rays on the Bay" overlooking the ocean was a great place to watch the sunset and see the mantas come out in the evening.
Rooms were clean and spacious. Staff were friendly and accommodating.
We enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank al0ha808

Dear Aloha808,

Mahalo for taking the time to give us a fantastic review -- we're so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Kona, from the family-friendly activities to the delicious food at our various restaurants. We look forward to having you and your family back in Keauhou!

Regards,

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sheraton Kona resort for 2 nights at the end of a trip to the big island for a yoga retreat. I booked it on a quick whim to spend a few nights in Kona. My husband and I had been to the big island in August 2013 and loved the area. We stayed at the Hilton which was much better than the Sheraton. First con was the location. I was hoping to be closer to the main strip of Kona but this resort is far down the south side and not within walking distance or even a short drive to anything. Second was the rooms which are very outdated. I booked a garden room since it was last minute and I was traveling alone but it was on the 4th floor yet I still felt like I was in a basement bc it felt like a cement room with a very high wall on the patio and therefore didn't let much light in. Overall it was fine for a few nights away and is a decent middle of the road hotel but if I were to return to the area I would stay north at the Hilton again or one of the resorts on the northern part of Ali'i drive.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank utahlovin
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Aloha UtahLovin,

Mahalo for taking the time to share this feedback with us on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to share with you that the Sheraton Kona recently received a revitalization, so it will be a whole new resort the next time you visit.

As for our location -- while we acknowledge that we are 15 minutes outside of town -- we have some great dining options here and plenty of activities to offer right here on Keauhou Bay! Were you able to take our complimentary cultural tour of our historic land? This is one of the most unique, authentic aspects of our resort. We are lucky to be right next to an old fishing village and additionally the birthplace of King Kamehameha III.

We look forward to hosting you again to show you these excellent activities and our new menu at Rays on the Bay!

Reviewed August 13, 2014

just came back from hawaii, including 7 days at the sheraton. This is a lovely hotel especially the ocean view rooms ( which l had). My only issue is the ridiculous new add on that the Americas have got away with and it's a RESORT FEE, yes a fee just to be there of $30.00 a day per room plus don't forget the tax on top of that. Total $ 31.50 a day, yes it gives you internet a few other things, but what if you don't want them, bad luck you have to pay. When l mentioned this at the Hilton in Honolulu they said they don't charge this fee but some hotels are trying it on. Be aware and look for the ones that don't rip you off.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The location of the Sheraton Kona is ideal - close to town, dolphin snorkeling tours, manta diving, and more. The hotel is beautiful and has very nice pools. The restaurants are very good and it's so neat to see the manta rays at night from "Rays on the Bay."

The only thing we did not like was the hours of food service. We arrived on a flight from LAX and got to the hotel at 10:20 PM on a Saturday night. The only food available was room service (until 10:30 PM) so we called IMMEDIATELY. If we had been 10 minutes later, we would have arrived at the hotel with no options for food after a very long day of travel.

Interestingly enough, I was concerned about this before we arrived, so I called the hotel directly and spoke to the operator and asked what time food shuts down. I was told Room Service ends at 11 and Rays is open to 11 (with limited menu). This was not the case so we were surprised when we arrived. Luckily, we got room service....but for a major hotel, I am sure we aren't the only guests that arrive late sometimes....there should be later food options.

Later in our trip, we came back to this resort and attended a wedding (but stayed nearby off property). The wedding concluded around 10/1030 PM and again, all the restaurants are shut down at that time. It would have been nice if Rays on the Bay was still open - we would have gone there to have some post-wedding drinks while watching the Manta Rays.

Overall, this is a great property. They provide a shuttle to town. Check out their website - they have recommendations for tours and activities which was very helpful. The concierge even emailed me prior to my arrival to offer help. I thought the details to service were great.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view near Rays and you can see the manta rays at night!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KLJdolphin

Aloha KLJ dolphin,

First of all, thank you very much for providing this detailed insight to us about your experience. While we're happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the rest of your stay, we're disappointed to hear about the lack of service you received from our restaurant. The late night menu should be open until 11 p.m.

I would love to hear more details about this incident. Please contact me directly at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com, so we may investigate this issue.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I was visiting Hawaii with my 2 bother's families. I had requested an upgrade on my suite ahead of time and was happy when I checked in they told me I could have it for an extra 50 dollars a night. Yes it would have been nice complementary - oh well. The suite offers two balcony's the second one is huge over looking the ocean and mountains. It easily accommodated the 9 of us to lounge around and share stories. We used the pull out bed in the living room and I had different family members stay with me. 2 breakfast were included and the buffet is very nice.

I had a lot of special request, like more pillows and bottle openers, the staff was very accommodating. The resort has a lot of activities. The gym was great at 3 in the morning. The pool with a nice water slide sits right on the ocean.
I reviewed the spa separately but it was incredible.

Issues were handled with good spirit and I fully enjoyed the facility.

Room Tip: My executive deluxe suite 3429 was not directly over the ocean and offered both ocean and mountain v...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Aloha docjon236,

Mahalo for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay with us at the Sheraton Kona. We're happy to hear that you experienced such friendly service and enjoyed the amenities during your stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time with your family!

We look forward to having you back at our resort.

Katie Vanes
PR Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
6 mi away
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!