“Would stay here again”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 22, 2013

When planning a recent holiday to Kona, my first thought was to book into the Keauhou Beach hotel (as we have done for over 15 years). When i discovered it had closed, it created a real conundrum!!
After a lot of reading and research, we decided to stay at the Sheraton.
I am very glad that we did. Our room was spacious, airy and had great views. Our lanai was big and private. There were lovely gardens and many peaceful spots. Several places to eat or have a drink too.
Really the hotel/resort provided everything we needed - and more. Service was very good too. Of course the Manta rays in the water below the resort were a bonus.

Room Tip: Must have an ocean view! If noise of happy people during the day is an issue ask for a room away fro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Aloha. We are glad you chose to stay with us and completely enjoyed the comfort and service that the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay provides. The manta rays you were able to view are always a treat to see as they glide effortlessly through the water and they can be seen most evenings from the lanai of several of our rooms or from a special viewing area near Rays on the Bay. We hope that the next time you are visiting the area you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back. Mahalo.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very nice location south of town. Booked an ocean front room and got just that. Was on the first floor (2119) and faced the pool and the ocean. Did not experience any of the noise issues other reviews have mentioned. Room was good size and functional. The bathroom was clean and yes it needed a bit of updating but how much time do you spend in the bathroom? The beds were very comfortable and came with 4 pillows each.

The pool area is fantastic. My son loved it and spent most of his time there. He loved the slide .Make sure you return the towels you check out. They charge you $25 for every non-returned towel.

The in-room internet was okay for the first couple days and then slowed to a crawl. I tried rebooting the modem with no effect. I was only using the internet to check email so it really wasn't too much of an issue. Our last day there it came back up to speed.

Everything is very expensive, as expected. $4.50 for a very small cup of Diet Coke at the pool bar. I went to Walmart and picked up a 24 pack and kept them in the refrigerator in the room. Problem solved.

Everything seems to close too early. The pool bar closes at 6PM. There is no regular restaurant for dinner other than Ray's. Even the coffee bar closes early.

The hotel has very limited parking considering it has a convention center. One night a free concert was being given on the lawn. We returned to the hotel an hour before it started and all of the guest parking was already full. I had read in prior reviews that if that happened we could use the valets for no charge. I drove up to the valets and was told by one of the valets in a very much "not my problem" tone that I needed to try to find a spot "in the grass lot". The valet then just walked away. I drove back down to the parking area and found a very nice older gentleman sitting in a golf cart. I told him what happened and he apologized several times and had me follow him into the valet lot and found me a parking space. I was told my a manager later that night that I should have been directed to the valet lot by the valet and he would make sure that person knew the hotel policy. I feel the manager handled this well but was not happy with the way I was treated by the valet.

My last problem was at check-out. Our room had been pre-paid. I paid the "resort-fee" in full with cash when I checked in. They asked for a credit-card to cover any charges to the room so I gave them one. On check-out I had incurred one small room service fee. I gave them my debit card to pay off the balance. Upon returning home I was checking my bank account and found that not only did they charge me for the room service charge they had placed a $100.00 hold on my funds in my checking account. I was livid. There was no reason for them to place a $100 hold on my debit card. I was checking out not in and owed them NO money. The desk clerk did not say anything about a hold on my funds. I called the hotel and was transferred to accounting. I have left 3 messages now and still no call back. Luckily my bank did answer their phone and removed the "hold" from my account.

Overall it was a nice place to stay with a few hiccups along the way. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to relax. You will need a rental car or use the trolly if you need to get into town or plan on doing any sightseeing.

Room Tip: Any room around Ray's is going to be noisy until the live music ends around 10:30PM.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Aloha. While we are very happy that you enjoyed a relaxing vacation overall at our resort, it was disappointing to learn that you did experience a few hiccups during your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the difficulties you encountered. We are very sorry about the hold that was placed on your card at check out and for not receiving a prompt response from our accounting department. We will share your comments with our team so that we may continuously improve the experience for future guests. Thank you for sharing your opinions and thoughts, we hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is located near the airport (ca. 10 miles). My boyfriend and I took a rental car. But the hotel offers a shuttle, which you have to pay. We got a room with a view to the mountains and the ocean. You can't lay on the beach, but it has a beautiful pool area. It's a family friendly hotel. The rooms are big, every room has a balkony, they are clean (but unfortunately they forgot to throw away our waste one day). The service is very good. We got a late check out and a 15 % discount of food and beverages in the hotel restaurants as Gold Members.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. We are glad that you enjoyed the spaciousness of our rooms, relaxing at the pool and the quality of service you received. Please come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was seriously disappointed with the Sheraton during my recent visit in part due to their "resort" charge of $30 plus tax. The resort charges this fee to cover high-speed internet access, self-parking for one vehicle, unlimited locan and 1-800 calls, 30 minutes of long-distance calls per day, use of Kailua-Kona trolley, two bottles of water daily (11.2 fluid oz), Yoga Monday-Saturday mornings, cultural tours Monday through Thursday, orientation, hula lessons per calendar, lei making per calendar & 50% off one bike rental.
Wow - I got to park in the muddy grass while event peoples took paved parking - take your suitcase through that, will ya. Oh, sure, I could have paid and additional $7 for valet parking per day. Who doesn't carry a cell phone with listed numbers so phone use is no big deal. Having the car, why do the trolley?
Oh, got to listen to the bang, bang, bang of Rays on the Bay while trying to sleep, but thankfully that ended around 10:30. The swimming pool bang, bang, bang did not however - the kids and their music continued until 3:30 am followed by workers coming in a 6 am talking at the top of their lungs.
I declined to go to the spa since I noted that a 20% tip was automatically included ... now I usually tip 18-20 anyway, but common on - demanding it turned the idea into a big NO.
Just not happy paying $230 per night with 30 on top of that for common amenities, I guess. Service was okay but I declined to tip since the overall $30 "amenity fee" must cover that too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ptompk2

It is definitely disappointing to learn that your recent experience at our hotel did not fully impress you. We are truly sorry that you did not find value in services and benefits covered in the resort charge and that you found it difficult to find parking one evening during your stay. We do regret that we were not able to create a better experience for you but appreciate the time you have taken to share your comments. Mahalo.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location and the hotel area is just wonderful with a great energy overall. The rooms were a little dated but functional. The pool area and the waterslides were top notch. There is no sandy beach due to the rocky shore and lava formations. A beach isn't too far away. The service overall was good and generally the staff was attentive. The breakfast buffets in the restaurant was of high quality that included a variety of fresh fruit ( local) every morning. Some of the views were spectacular depending on your room view. Plenty of activities to choose from at the hotel including a car rental service right on the premises. For the price you pay an overall good value for the Big Island and Kona.

Room Tip: Ensure that you mention when booking a room you ask for an ocean view or partial ocean view. You can...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Aloha and thank you. We are very happy that you found your stay at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay to be a good value and enjoyed so many different aspects of your experience. Our 14,100 square foot multi-level system of pools with its 200-foot-long lava tube waterslide that you liked spending time at is unequaled in Hawaii and a favorite of many guests. Your kind remarks for our staff are greatly appreciated as it is always our hope to provide guests with exceptional service. We hope that we can welcome you back soon. Mahalo.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel was in a beautiful location overseeing the ocean but has no beach. However, not far from the hotel, there is a beautiful bay called Kahahuu where I did the most amazing snorkeling. Lots of beautiful fish and turtles!
The Sheraton had a great pool area and was very clean. Unfortunately we got rained on during our Luau and I was disappointed that nobody made backup plans. In a few minutes our beautiful party became a disaster. However, they were courteous enough to refund our amenities fees and I felt that it was fair.
The food was average and the breakfast was less than ideal. Depending on the time, you would or would not find a good variety of food. It seemed that the only thing that would change daily was the potatoes, so it quickly got old. Plus, they don’t serve express coffee in the restaurant. But the Kona coffee was tasty. Waiting for the omelet could be inconvenient as well. But the view of the restaurant was awesome.
I loved the daily arts market that was available. Different crafts every day. I did a good amount of shopping right there and was nice to hang out with local artists.
I would not have any reservations about staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms viewing the lawn such as ours were good.
1  Thank Carla L

Aloha and thank you for choosing Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay for your stay on the Big Island. We love to receive feedback from our guests and to learn all about their stay. It is truly disappointing that the weather did not cooperate the evening of the luau causing it to end abruptly but we are glad that our staff satisfactorily made up for the issue. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that we can welcome you back soon. Mahalo.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is definitely renovated and the staff is trying to be hospitable and keep the place decently clean. The hotel is by no means has a luxurious feel. The room design is mediocre, Wi-Fi was terrible and unreliable half the time. We shared the room and a nice view of the bay and the mountain with lots of tiny bugs (ants ???). Parking lot is free and only couple minutes away from the main entrance.
We would come back there if we could get the same deal (40% off)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha. While we are happy that you found our staff to be so hospitable, we regret that we were not able to create a better experience for you. Since it is our hope to accommodate the needs of all our guests, we deeply regret any inconveniences that you may have experienced with our Internet services. Since we are in a tropical environment, occasionally pests may find their way indoors. Please be assured that we have very strict standards and protocols in place including pest control. In the unusual event we are made aware of any concern, we respond immediately and take all appropriate steps to ensure each room is ready for the next guest. Thank you for sharing your comments with us, we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!