“Must have a car”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Must have a car”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I picked this hotel because it was a little bit farther away from downtown and so I hoped it would be quieter. It was sufficiently quiet but there wasn't much else to do there. The concierge staff was great and helpful on finding places for us to go. I did have to wait a long time for the elevator like some other reviewers had mentioned, and being on the seventh floor going up or down with any amount of luggage that got annoying at times. There is only one bar that's open sort of late and it was always hard to find a seat there which got kind of aggravating if you wanted any kind of food and you didn't feel like driving anywhere. Housekeeping also forgot to clean our room one day which was no big deal but I thought it was kind of odd.

Room Tip: We had a mountain view room which I liked because it wasn't as windy as the oceanview rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Aloha. It is always our hope to accommodate the needs of our guests and to assist them in any way possible so we are glad that our concierge team could be of help to you. We are however sorry that you encountered some difficulties finding available seating at the bar and hope that this did not greatly impact your overall experience. Please visit us again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel it's self is nice, great for kids with water slides and sand pools. Would not recommend the buffet dinner but rays on the bay is a great dinning experience. We had an ocean view room wasn't great view but wasn't the worst either. Down points were, waiting half an hour to be seated at the buffet breakfast each morning aparently its better at 8am but who wants to wake up that early in the morning on holiday any way, would not recommend the pool side dinning it takes forever and its discusting food, I did have a few maintenance issues with the blinds, room keys and bath draining this was all sorted out quickly so not too much of an issue, there are a lot of hidden fees when you leave aswell that you are not informed to at checking in, the daily cleaning was not great basically sheets changed no vacuuming or anything. Upsides were front desk very friendly, maintenance was done quickly as soon as informed, pool is great, rays on the bay is great cocktails were very yummy, beautiful gardens and great scenery. Overall a good stay but defiantly not up to Sheraton standards, would stay Again if the price was right! - Staff very friendly everywhere else besides the buffet!

• Stayed January 2013
Washington
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed Dec 22-28, 2012. I am a Starwood Gold member and have stayed in Starwood properties all over the world and have had nothing but great things to say about them...until I experienced the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. Honest to God, the room we stayed in was a DUMP (#4658). I complained to the manager and had her walk into the room with me to see what a disgrace it was, since I figured nobody from management had seen the room in years. She was very sorry about the ripped cushion covers, the rust stains in the tub, the rusty screw holding the sliding door in place, the filthy bathroom vent, etc etc...she described the property as "distressed" and that it had been in and out of bankruptcy and they'd only had $ to upgrade the lobby. I did my own research on this property in the Hawaii business news and it would appear that this is a Starwood "experiment" meaning they've franchised this property and that explains everything...Starwood, the experiment is not working! The manager told me she would tell the General Manager, but we never heard a peep, no we're sorry, no food voucher, no flowers, nothing. AND PS, the manta rays have moved on, so don't go with the expectation you'll see them.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here, but if you insist stay AWAY from the 4th floor tower; I was in 4658.
9 Thank SNOHOMOJO
It’s disappointing to learn when a guest leaves less than thrilled with some aspects of their stay. We are truly sorry that you experienced some issues with your accommodations and that your expectations were not met. We value your feedback and will pass along your comments to our management team. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here the week after Thanksgiving for 3 nights for less than $160 per night. I am a SPG Gold member so we got upgraded to an ocean front room. The room itself was ok. It's large, clean, but a little outdated. Our room has a perfect view to the manta bay. We got to see mantas every night from our room.

The pool is a decent size and was quite empty when we were there. The free breakfast buffet was not very good. but it's free for us. The hotel is near many good snorkeling spots and restaurants in Kona.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha. It was so wonderful to have you stay with us following the Thanksgiving holiday. We’re glad that you enjoyed viewing the mantas right from your room. Please visit us again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcoming you back.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've never reviewed a hotel before because my past hotel stays were on par with the Tripadvisor community consensus and either met or beat my expectations. However, this hotel was definitely the sore point of our week long stay, and I feel compelled to share my experience.

I had pre-paid for an ocean view room through Hawaiian airlines. On arrival, I was told that no ocean view rooms were available and I would have to stay in a mountain view room. They gave me hotel credit to account for the amount I paid for the ocean view, waived the resort discount, told me an ocean view room would be available 5 days into my 7 night stay, and that I could speak with the manager the next morning at 7AM to see if a room is available sooner. Not a good start, but I tried to make the best of the situation. Instead of the ocean, our mountain view room had a view of the tennis and basketball courts; instead of hearing waves crashing, we heard tennis balls and basketballs all day.

I returned the next morning at 7:30AM before driving out to the volcano for the day and was told that the manager does not come in until 8AM. There is apparent disagreement on when the manger comes in. I left my phone number and told the front desk to have the manager call me when he/she comes in. By the end of the day, no phone call and no message.

I did not want this to become a burden, so we accepted our lost and decided to return on day 5 so that we would at least have 2 nights in an ocean view. On the morning of day 5, I spoke with the front desk and the manager, and there were still no ocean view rooms available. Why did they tease me on the first day?! This means they sold the room they promised me to another party. The overbooking of rooms, relegation of customers to less desirable rooms, and failure to follow through on their promises indicates a pattern of disregard for individual hotel guests all in favor for increased sales - these policies ensure the maximum number of rooms are booked at any given time. This is the classic bait-and-switch strategy. When you plan for a special vacation and have to deal with arguably fraudulent practices, it makes you want to forget that part of the trip from your memory.

Other remarks to be comprehensive: Location is good since it is near Kona downtown. Hotel room looks clean and decent, but sheets had holes in it and had comforter had slight stains. Doors are thin so I woke up from any conversations or room service carts in the hallway.

While I will not return and would recommend others not to support a business with the aforementioned policies, for those who are still interested in this hotel, just don't get your hopes up for an ocean view or quality customer service. For other destinations, this practice may be tolerated, but our expectations were higher since we chose Hawaii for a stress-free, relaxing vacation.

6 Thank Johnny A
We are terribly sorry that we were unable to accommodate your request for an ocean view room at the time of your stay. Our guests and their preferences are very important to us so we do our best to fill any requests or make changes whenever possible. We hope that the impact on your overall experience on the island was minimal. Thank you taking the time to share your impressions here.
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had hoped the hotel was better than most of the reviews -- had hoped that a Sheraton wouldn't be THIS sad -- but I was wrong. When I'm in Hawaii I like to snorkel, hike, enjoy the islands, then be able to come back to my hotel and find a peaceful spot to read & relax. That doesn't exist here. We've stayed at many different hotels through the years (this is our 11th trip to Hawaii) -- some nice and some not so nice -- but never at a hotel as poorly designed as this place, with a shamefully disgusting bathroom.

If your idea of relaxing is sitting by a noisy pool which could be anywhere -- then you won't mind this place. There was only one small corner (maybe 10 chairs in all) where you could actually sit by the pool and see the ocean -- but you had to listen to all the babies yelling behind you in the baby area of the pool -- and had to get there early to get chairs at this spot -- so if you go out to do something and want to come back in the afternoon, forget it.

There is no beach here, and no grounds you can sit on with a chair to look out at the ocean. The only peace I found was early in the morning I went down to their bar -- Rays on the Beach -- and could sit quietly by the ocean. We met some people staying at condos nearby who come here and do this as well. Just don't eat at Rays -- the food is terrible. The drinks are fine at Rays -- but the found that the drinks were better in the lobby bar.

While in Hawaii I always like to peacefully sit on my balcony -- but my balcony overlooked the parking lot and entry of the hotel. I don't find the sound of cars being parked, people entering and leaving the hotel peaceful.

Obviously, this hotel has problems. They seem to have partially updated it -- for instance the bathroom sink is granite but the separate tub/shower and toilet area is old, dirty and quite disgusting. But I'll start with the good parts. The location is really good. The volcano is a little under 2 hours away -- and absolutely worth the drive. This is the closest you can be in a hotel to the volcano on this side of the island. It's also a good central location. We have found hotel restaurants in Hawaii to be pretty awful and over-priced as a general rule no matter where we stay. We relied on Yelp and found some good places to eat nearby. There is an empty refrigerator in the rooms which we filled with fruit and yogurts etc. from the nearby market. The people in the hotel as a general rule are nice.

I paid for an ocean view room and got a mountain view/parking lot view which they called a partial ocean view because you could see a slice of the ocean from over the ugly roof of the lobby when you stood on the balcony. I was told we had no other options, that this was the only room available to us. Period. They would put me on top of the list should an ocean view become available. I waited two days then asked to speak with the manager. I had pre-paid through a Hawaiian Airlines package for an ocean view -- so I had to ask for an adjustment, which could only be to have the daily $25 additional resort fee waived, which they did. She also threw in one breakfast buffet. But I had to ask for this adjustment -- it was not offered. I suspect I was put in this room because I had pre-paid -- they said (derisively) through Orbitz -- but I paid through Hawaiian Airlines, didn't know it was Orbitz. Guess they don't like it if you buy from Orbitz.

When I was checking out I heard another person complaining that the hotel didn't give them the room they reserved. Clearly we weren't an isolated case -- though perhaps they just treat the pre-paid guests this way?

I realize we were staying at the hotel at the busiest time of the year -- and I did read the reviews before we left and did lower my expectations. But this toilet/shower room (the sink is outside this) is as bad as the one at the Motel Six I had to stay at once years ago. Bubbly cracked drywall around the dirty, filthy grout, filthy tub, old gas station-style toilet, lime crusted shower head with no water pressure. Gross. Some of the bathrooms must be better. Maybe they save these rooms for the pre-paid guests?

So the room, relatively speaking, was not that expensive for this time of the year -- because I pre-paid through Hawaiian Airlines. Then what am I complaining about? I'm complaining because I thought I was getting an ocean view and a hotel where I could relax and enjoy Hawaii. The only way to enjoy the Big Island -- and it's a wonderful place -- is to leave this hotel. I heard that the nearby Outrigger (I think) was being torn down. This one should be next.

Room Tip: Since they didn't give me the ocean view room I had booked -- it clearly doesn't matter what...
2 Thank Pali90272
Your feedback is welcomed, however it is disappointing your stay was not as you had hoped. Although we try to accommodate the requests of our guests, there are times when it is not possible and we are truly sorry that we were unable to move you to an ocean view room. We were glad to hear that despite your concerns, you still enjoyed our location and found our staff to be friendly. Thank you for sharing your impressions with us as it allows us to evaluate any areas that may require additional attention. Mahalo.
Petaluma
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day, 4 night stay at the property and have mixed feelings about the property...

Overall the staff was very nice and accommodating. When our room, promised for 3pm, was not ready until nearly 4 they waived the daily resort fee for our stay. A couple of the snacks from the pool bar were less than appetizing and they removed them from the bill without any fuss. The location is beautiful however there isn't much to do at/near the property. We had an ocean view room and it was AMAZING. A note of caution though, if there is high surf you can forget about sleeping. We happened to be there during a huge pacific swell and every wave that crashed into the hotel was heard and felt. All. Night. Long. The other comments about the loud hallways are accurate.

There is one restaurant option (Ray's), well technically there is the buffet but outside of breakfast you are eating at your own risk. It was never crowded and we were advised on day one to avoid it. Breakfast was actually really good there, nice buffet and they make fresh eggs/omlettes so you can't really go wrong. Rays is good BUT they rush you through your meal. We didn't have a car so were stuck there for 4 nights and every night we left our table feeling like we were pushed out of there. The food is good; not great.

This would be a great property for a family with kids. The pool is nice, get a cabana it's worth it, and they have a great entertainment room.

2 Thank gsantel
Mahalo for your review detailing your recent stay with us. It’s disappointing that there were several aspects of your visit that were not as you had anticipated but your feedback is appreciated. We were however happy to learn how much you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and we appreciate your kind comments with regard to our staff. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!