“Awesome!”

Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Met so many cool travellers here! The Staff were very friendly and helped with any questions I had about the island. They made me feel very welcome and easily made my stay in Kona a highlight of my time in Hawaii. I found the hostel very clean and comfortable. Would definitely go back and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay near Kona!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Clean friendly and low cost
I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a sweet stay in Kona.
Located in the middle of Kona the beach is a short walk and so are most good restaurants.
I found the staff eager to help.
If you are looking for a great value and a home like place to rest while traveling check this place out.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Owen L
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The peeps is what makes it happy and healthy. Everyone is considerate and caring, sharing, positive. The environment is clean and the geckos simply say hello, and then go on their merry way, as geckos are want to do. The furnishings are not luxurious, but hey, it's a hostel. Everything you could possibly need or want is within walking distance. Aloha abounds. Happy trails!

Room Tip: Share a private room with a friend and you get a little less sleeping society at almost the same pri...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Molly M
Reviewed July 10, 2014

... and would not have stayed a second. I have stayed in hostels all over the world ... I know a lot of times the guests of the hostel can make or break the impression of the place. And we left with a very broken impression. I felt like I might "catch" something my one night there. From the mattresses with no protective coverings, a bathroom that should have been closed for renovations, guests without underwear sleeping on the floor of our common area. The fans didn't seem to work and the heat was stifling which didn't help with the lingering smell of "pot". When we tried to leave in the morning, another car had parked behind us and we could not get out. After waking a few of the guests that seemed to be sleeping where ever they fell, we were able to get the car moved and get on with our day. I will recommend this place if your other option is the street.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kkzfrog
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

The staff is very friendly. I arrived knowing nobody in Hawaii and after only 3 days met a lot of quality people. Meeting other travelers as well as locals made the stay so much better. The rooms are clean and the aura laid back. Located a 10 minute walk from the ocean front allowed me to not require a car to go everywhere. Beautiful sunsets seen from the balcony

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Alexander C
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This place is pretty good! I found the staff to be very accommodating, they stayed open a late to check me in. Room is pretty clean. Sure, I saw a cockroach, but you will see cockroaches everywhere, in any place in Hawaii. Nothing is ever really locked, so if you are concerned about that sort of thing it might not be the place for you. If you are interested in a comfy bed, meeting some chill people, and staying at a decent (and affordable) location I would totally recommend this place. I actually stayed here on 2 separate occasions because I enjoyed it so much. Stoked!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was by far the filthiest hostel I've ever been too. You can smell weed everywhere, the floor was sticky *they ask you to walk around barefoot. The rooms stunk of bad armpit & feet odor. Don't bother locking your doors, everyone can just pull the screen door and go in that way. The reception guy looks like he is high as a bat and by his raggy clothes can be mistaken for a hobo. I know he is trying to be nice and welcoming, but there should be a certain professional way of presenting oneself especially if you run a business.Together with a guest from Germany, we saw cockroaches running around the public area and maggots on the trash bin cover. I'm glad I only had to stay one night. Sleep in your car instead!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
robertpatey, Owner at Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

I'm sorry Markus was not a 20 years girl to greet you, but he is one good guy. He will try to help and make your stay as nice as it could be. Please understand that we try to keep the place as clean as one can. We have been under staff for the last 2 weeks. I will make sure that all your complaints will be looked at and deal with asap. Thanks you , Robert

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Hedonisia Hawaii Eco-Community Vacation Rentals
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel

Been to Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel? Share your experiences!