“Filthy! Stay someplace else or sleep in your car!”

Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was by far the filthiest hostel I've ever been too. You can smell weed everywhere, the floor was sticky *they ask you to walk around barefoot. The rooms stunk of bad armpit & feet odor. Don't bother locking your doors, everyone can just pull the screen door and go in that way. The reception guy looks like he is high as a bat and by his raggy clothes can be mistaken for a hobo. I know he is trying to be nice and welcoming, but there should be a certain professional way of presenting oneself especially if you run a business.Together with a guest from Germany, we saw cockroaches running around the public area and maggots on the trash bin cover. I'm glad I only had to stay one night. Sleep in your car instead!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
robertpatey, Owner at Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

I'm sorry Markus was not a 20 years girl to greet you, but he is one good guy. He will try to help and make your stay as nice as it could be. Please understand that we try to keep the place as clean as one can. We have been under staff for the last 2 weeks. I will make sure that all your complaints will be looked at and deal with asap. Thanks you , Robert

Reviewed May 10, 2014

The only knock I have on this place is that I made it my first stop on a 5 week trip around the island....and then I didn't want to leave to go anywhere else!!

It's a great centrally located spot about 4 blocks up Kalani from Ali'i drive; and pretty much everything you could need or want as far as supplies, food & bev, (gear rental on site), etc is within an easy 2-3 min walk. Super laid back vibe from the staff, and guests; the latter of which is actually pretty well screened by management to weed out any traveling (or local) ruffians, dogoodnicks, or hornswagglers (that one was for you Katie & Chelsea) that might try and step on your mana!

Each of my 3 nights was accompanied by ohana style family bbq's on either the well shaded back patio, or upper view deck. Fresh Ahi tacos, seared shrimp, and amazing sides were only a few of the dining highlights; and each sunset was spent on the beach among new friends, cold Kona Longboards, and sweet sounds from da uke.

I can't attest too, or refute the experiences of other travelers reviews; but the one I did want to address was the one where someone had a security concern. Not once did I ever feel my gear, camera, laptop or anything else was in jeopardy. These people treat you as family, and everyone watches out for everyone else. The dorms, private rooms, and common areas were always cleaned each day; with no shortage of fresh linens or towels.

In closing, as a management & marketing consultant I take special notice of the SMALL things in any business I walk into (fyi - this is a curse you don't want :); and not a day went by where I didn't witness at least 1-2 employee meetings whereby they strategized ways to improve the property, and make each guests stay more enjoyable (well done). The property does need a bit of updating to the grounds; but I'm nitpicking on this point. Owner Ron, and his staff (Marcus, Ben, Nalu, Katie & Chelsea) are aware and making great strides towards addressing it. Don't by any means let that sway you however....this place is paradise!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Belizetrav
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had a nice two days in the hostel. Everybody was welcoming and nice. Good vibe. Clean bathrooms and kitchen.

It's rough around the edges, but that's what we expected from a hostel.

We felt safe.

Good parking.

Close to many services. Especially the farmers market!!! Yum!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Talboi
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights; two in the Private Rooms, half a day in the Dorm.

Private room 1A is bug free & clean with a sliding door to the outside (that doesn't lock) At $55 a night it is very expensive in comparison to other hostels (for what you get, but is the only hostel in Kona).

DO NOT STAY IN DORMS!

I booked my second night in the dorm, but when I attempted to take a midday nap found that
Even during the day the dorm has BEDBUGS!!!
To add insult to injury the bunks have lawn chair pads instead of mattresses and
are not locked or secured in any way. (I explained this to the staff and they gave me a private room again at the dorm price.)

That evening I stayed in Private Room 2B which looked clean (I did a very thorough check upon arrival, checked mattress, crevices etc.)
But about 3am
was attacked by BEDBUGS.
(I did not physically find the bedbugs) at this point I just cut my losses and decided move on and warn future travelers.

Good Luck & Happy Travels.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ZanderAshe
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here during Ironman Kona week and enjoyed our stay. James was a fantastic host and ensured that we had everything we needed - he even went beyond expectations and dropped us off at the airport. The apartment was very simple and basic, however had most things we needed and for the price we paid (especially during the busiest week of the year for Kona) it was very good. The location is only a 5-10min walk from the centre of Kona and is therefore very convenient. The staff were friendly and our tidy - cleaning our apartment on a daily basis. I would recommend this place to stay for open-mind travellers on a budget, looking for a convenient place to stay in Kona with the basic necessities. Great work James!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed in this place just one night on 6 October and was badly bitten by bed bugs all over my body. This was an absolutely terrible experience. I was not able to fall asleep even for 5 minutes, scratching myself all night - only discovering the horrible, disgusting truth at 5 am in the morning.
The staff told me in the morning, when I was leaving, that apparently they tried to fumigate this place without success ?
I found the kitchen also quite dirty.
I told the hostel staff that I would not stay in this place again, even if they paid me to do so.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My son and I stayed at Koa Wood Hale for just one night in September 2013. We certainly couldn’t have tolerated it for more than one night. It is a disgrace that there are tourist publications that recommend this place. It is a disgrace. Nowhere on this planet will you find such a dirty and dilapidated place as this one. It is small, having only two rooms for total of eight guests and one small bathroom with a tub and shower. It looks worse than a barracks - more like a Nazi prisoners camp. It looks like it has been totally abandoned by the owners and has not been repaired or refreshed for many years. While we were there one of the guests was badly bitten at night by some kind of insects, probably bedbugs. His bed linens were badly soiled by blood spots and his mattress was removed in the morning. So coming back home required us to take some precautions. We set the suitcases outside until we could wash everything in hot water.

During our stay the young people who pretend to be the managers and cleaners spent most of the time on the beach or smoking pot in the hostel. They looked drugged even in the morning and appeared to have bug bites all over their legs and arms. I recommend that if there aren't other hostels available in the Kona area, stay in tents or find a budget hotel (Manago, for example), or sleep on the beach. Do not stay here. What is the city sanitary department looking at, or are there no inspections?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family