“Best place to stay”

Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

We absolutely loved this condo! Roomy, clean, wonderfully comfortable, big lanai, easy parking, close to downtown and clean! At check-in we were told about the (timeshare deal) briefly then someone called us the next am to see if we were interested, I said no and we were never asked again! It was easy unlike other reviews, they must have got the message! Staff was friendly and helpful. We left for a night and stayed in Hilo... Boy did we miss our home away from home at the Wyndham. I can't find any negatives!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jeannine S
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Aloha Jeannine,

Thank you so much for these kind words about our unit and resort accommodations. Our goal is to make sure our guests feel at home while on vacation. We’re glad to hear that our staff was helpful and kind during your stay. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a place where I could stay for a month, or two-and we met a few people who were doing exactly that! These two bedroom condos are like a home with a large lanai holding a table for six and a lounging chair. The beds are comfortable, there are plenty of towels, washer and dryer and well stocked kitchen. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with two different pools on opposite sides of the property.
Yes, it is a timeshare so you will be offered to “check your current ownership” or look at the possibility of ownership. If you choose to get the gift that is offered, remember that was your choice. Most of the time, we do not go to the presentation and haven’t been hassled after the first offer at most of the Wyndham resorts. This time we did go with the promise that it would only take 45 minutes. My husband set his timer on his watch for 45 minutes and we were out in 44 . We paid for one of our meals with our gift certificate and enjoyed the discount provided for the Dolphins Discoveries Snorkel which we would highly recommend.
There are a few activities offered throughout the week. Many people are frequent guests who aren’t really interested in group activities, so I think the variety is enough. It would be nicer if they would come up with a better place to have these activities then under a tent on the parking lot. For years I have wondered if they would improve the setting, but so far they have not.
I love the location of this resort. It is far enough from the little town to enjoy peace and quiet, yet an easy walk if you are fit enough to walk a mile. You can avoid Ali’i Drive traffic by heading up the hill just on the other side of the Worldmark next door.
The only complaint would be internet service was not great. I don’t believe they have enough bandwidth for the multiple devices most people use these days. We were able to use the internet, however at times it was frustrating.
I look forward to returning to this resort. We don’t need a lot of entertainment from resorts when we travel to Hawaii as we are just looking to relax and visit other parts of the island. This is definitely one of our favorite places to stay.

Room Tip: The best views are on the top of the hill. Lower rooms by the pool would also be nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trudy S
Reviewed February 11, 2014

It's not often that one can say that the accomodations contributed to the "dream" on a "dream" vacation but the Wyndham Kona certainly did. From the friendly and courteous staff to the beautifully landscaped grounds to the luxuriously appointed rooms, this has to be in the top one or two resorts that I have ever stayed in. As a matter of fact, I cannot think of a more memorable place that I have stayed. Every facet of this resort oozes luxury. The clawfoot jet tub was my wife's favorite feature of this resort but I have to say that the lanai in the morning was my favorite. It was so relaxing to sit on the lanai with a cup of tea listening to the island waking up. It really does make it hard for other resorts to measure up. I'd recommend this resort in a heartbeat! Wonderful place to make memories.

Room Tip: The top floor will help to avoid those pesky "upstairs" noises
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dunk145
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our accommodations and friendly staff. We’re glad your wife enjoyed the jet tub and that you enjoyed the lanai. Again, thank you for reaching out to provide your recommendation and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay here. We could walk to town and to a few beaches. The units are very clean and well equipped. Staff is extremely nice and always helpful. There are several BBQ areas available which are also well kept. The pools are nice and relaxing and you can always use the fitness center if you need an intense workout. Lanai was big and we were out there all the time
My only negative are all the cats, nothing like hearing them at 2 in the morning! Even saw guests feeding them! One morning I opened my door and had 3 on the landing waiting to get in , and they aren't skinny! Yuck I do not like cats!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank chp52
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed the close proximity to the beaches`. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We are also glad you enjoyed the resort accommodations and lanai area. We apologize for the noise you encountered. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the cats, but please check with the front desk to see if complimentary ear plugs may be provided if this occurs in the future. We greatly appreciate the feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I went to this resort for our honeymoon, she loved it because of how laid back and relaxing it is. It is off the main streets so it is rather secluded, if you just want to relax in a quiet atmosphere this is for you. Our favorite place was the lanai,it was huge with a table big enough for about 8, plus a couple of lounge chairs. Rooms also beautiful and large. Staff was extremely helpful, they will book any excursions you want. We plan on returning someday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard S
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are so happy you chose to spend your honeymoon with us and congratulations on the wedding! It sounds like you had an amazing and relaxing trip. We appreciate you kind words regarding our staff. Again, thanks for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

On May 5th 2013, my husband I boarded a plane to The Big Island. This was our first trip to Hawaii and I wanted to have a perfect room in the perfect location . After reading a ton of reviews we chose the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort. It was a GREAT choice !! We stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath villa and it was very nice !! I really like the way they had it styled ! The master bedroom has a claw feet tub and a nice tiled shower. The 2nd bedroom has a complete bathroom off of it also . The kitchen was fully equipped and made us feel like we were at our second home ! The resort is very spacious and clean. The staff are extremely nice and helpful. I would definitely say the best staff I've ever come across !!! They were very informative and friendly. They set us up with a free VIP luau which was all inclusive . The only thing we had to do was sit thru a 90 min. timeshare presentation That's was a major plus!!!! This resort ROCKS. My only complaint would be the many cats, because I hate them !! But they really didn't bother me and kept their distance. This resort is completely safe, the view is amazing, and we were walking distance to the beach ! Let me not forget, u can walk or drive 4 minutes to the downtown action very easily !!! Great condo Great location !!!!

Room Tip: Top floor if you can.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SimsDestinations
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback. We are so happy you chose to stay with us for your first visit to Hawaii. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the unit amenities and friendly staff. We’re always happy to help! It sounds like you a wonderful vacation. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is the first time we have stayed in a condo on our winter vacations, we have done all inclusive other times.
We did not attend the presentation as we had plans for the days, although were bugged a few times to come to it.
The wifi was spotty, and could not get it except in certain areas of the complex- not in the condo we were in, which was very frustrating when it was advertised as available.
The condo is nice enough with good sized bedrooms and a nice large lanai and decent kitchen and living area. It was pretty well stocked with all the utensils. The view however is like living in a apartment building as all you see is the street and the back of the next condo. When this was developed it appears they were trying to fit as many rentals in as possible. We knew it wasn't on the ocean but had hoped for a nice green space at least; We were in an upstairs condo so noise issues from the downstairs one were mimimal. We didn't get in until late Saturday afternoon - they brought us clean towels Tuesday morning and that is the extent of the service.
We like to barbeque and it was a good block away to carry food and utensils back and forth which was a downfall. The pool we used was ok, except there is gritty sand ( love the beach and sand but on the deck it was a pain) which was by hot tub and got tracked all over the deck . I did like the fact there is a washroom there as it too was far enough away from the pool to be running back and forth. I did not like having to use the room card to go to the washroom though.
The latest check out they would give us was 11 am and our flight out wasn't until 9 pm . We spent most of the day by the pool as we had no room. They have a room where the computers are to sit and a washroom where you can change but there is nowhere you can have a shower. Even the all inclusives have rooms they let you have for a few hours to shower and change.
We stayed at the Wyndham Mauna Loa Village the first week and although the location of this one is better, we preferred the Mauna Loa and found the employees there were more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank luckysask
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Been to Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort? Share your experiences!